Twitter: What is Jaylon Smith doing on this play?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Man, we've witnessed some bufoonery from the linebacker position this year, but this might take the cake. This play exemplifies the lack of confidence both Jaylon and LVE have displayed this season. Both play with a total lack of instincts and are constantly on skates.

The play certainly ended up making him look foolish. I'm guessing that he couldn't see around the block where the running back was, so he thought the play was being bounced outside. If he thought for some reason that the middle was clogged, it's understandable that he would want to get off the block and get outside to cut the back off. The problem is that you can't just make a move like that blindly because it ends up creating exactly the kind of problem we saw on this play.

lostar2009

Reaction score
If he would've just kept his eyes on the rb he would be good. Seem like he just assume the rb would shoot the right hole off instinct not with his eyes first. I dunno, maybe they should let him pass rush off the edge or play known pass downs and allow him to stay close to the los. Jaylon doesn't read plays very good that is his issue.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Man, we've witnessed some bufoonery from the linebacker position this year, but this might take the cake. This play exemplifies the lack of confidence both Jaylon and LVE have displayed this season. Both play with a total lack of instincts and are constantly on skates.

LOL................when I saw that during the game I rewinded it and me and my buddy started laughing. this is a perfect example of they the guy is one of the worst backers in the NFL.

Spin moves out of the way? :lmao2::lmao2::lmao::lmao:

Thanks for showing that one.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Not only is that a poor read by the backer, but you have some lazy DT play as well which irritates me even more.

Woods is slow off the ball, stands straight up, and easily gets washed down into the B gap by the center who gets freed up to take on Jaylon. Minimal effort by the Center, he literally just pushes Woods down the line and out of the play.

Gallimore was the 3T. High pad level, clearly playing pass the whole way. Tries to fight back across the G into the play, but has not technique what so ever. He just tried to power his way into the play, but he had no leverage on the G and comes nowhere close.

I'm not making excuses for Jaylon, but i'm not sure Brian Urlacher in his prime could consistently stop the run with these fools at DT.

LOL..........and look at the Center just staring and Jaylon after he runs away as if saying "where are you going"? :lmao2::lmao::lmao::lmao:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The play certainly ended up making him look foolish. I'm guessing that he couldn't see around the block where the running back was, so he thought the play was being bounced outside. If he thought for some reason that the middle was clogged, it's understandable that he would want to get off the block and get outside to cut the back off. The problem is that you can't just make a move like that blindly because it ends up creating exactly the kind of problem we saw on this play.

Only on the Zone would a fan try to defend this play.

mrmojo

Reaction score
If he is reading the FB then he should have side stepped and watched the play in front of him, spinning around and losing sight of the runner would have not helped anyway if the runner went outside, unless he luckily ran right into the RB. But just a bad play all around.....Jaylons instincts are just bad....and his tackles are mostly 7 to 10 yard down the field, he never stands anyone up or pushes anyone back, or he is jumping on the pile after someone else has made the tackle.....it may be the system and then it may not be, but he played the same way last year. Either we get players up front to help or find someone in the draft that can play inside LB at a better level.

CWR

Reaction score
LOL................when I saw that during the game I rewinded it and me and my buddy started laughing. this is a perfect example of they the guy is one of the worst backers in the NFL.

Spin moves out of the way? :lmao2::lmao2::lmao::lmao:

Thanks for showing that one.

Im legitimately behind drafting a stud LB in round one. Week in and week out these LBs have me scratching my head.

KDM256

Reaction score
Looks like the weekly usual of opposing team's Offensive Lineman getting to the second level with ease because we don't have any DT worth a damn to help keep our linebackers clean.

Now quick, can any Cowboys fans please point out, where's our 1st ballot HoF/RoH "player/coach on the field" Sean Lee is on this play?

6 games 7 Tackles

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Yea, they played who, Cincy? Give me a break.

Much as I love my Cowboys, what have we seen the last couple of weeks?

WFT beats the undefeated Steelers.
Giants beat the 8-3 Seahawks and the much vaunted Russell Wilson.
Eagles beat the 10-2 Saints, who hadn't given up a 100 yard rusher for years, possessor of the NO. 1 defense (albeit without Brees at the helm).

And Dallas?

We beat the 2-9-1 Bengals, playing without their star rookie quarterback.

:flagwave:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Only on the Zone would a fan try to defend this play.

Not sure I'm defending it. I like to actually try to understand why players do what they do, though, instead of all-out bashing them for every aspect of it. I know that isn't your MO.

It's silly to believe that Smith was bailing out because he's afraid of contact as some allege or because he wasn't trying to make the play. He simply did a very poor job of making sure he was following his eyes. As I clearly said, you can't do that. You can't blindly go where you think the play might be going. He may have been hoping by attacking the middle that he would bait the run to go to the outside so he could spin out and make the play, but hope gets you burned like he was on this play.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Looks like the weekly usual of opposing team's Offensive Lineman getting to the second level with ease because we don't have any DT worth a damn to help keep our linebackers clean.

Now quick, can any Cowboys fans please point out, where's our 1st ballot HoF/RoH "player/coach on the field" Sean Lee is on this play?

6 games 7 Tackles

Was Lee even on the field? Probably guarding the tight end, I suspect, which isn't in the picture...

GMO415

Reaction score
That would be hilarious if he didn't play for my team. Now, its pathetic.
giphy.gif

strongarmqb

Reaction score
As a LB, you never are supposed to turn your back to the RB running with the football. If you attack a gap but then are supposed to run over to another gap, slide or shuffle on over, NOT what Jaylon did. Unless, he can't shuffle or slide over because of his leg? Is his leg limiting him?

Did you even read Acho’s explanation?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Not sure I'm defending it. I like to actually try to understand why players do what they do, though, instead of all-out bashing them for every aspect of it. I know that isn't your MO.

It's silly to believe that Smith was bailing out because he's afraid of contact as some allege or because he wasn't trying to make the play. He simply did a very poor job of making sure he was following his eyes. As I clearly said, you can't do that. You can't blindly go where you think the play might be going. He may have been hoping by attacking the middle that he would bait the run to go to the outside so he could spin out and make the play, but hope gets you burned like he was on this play.

If you have been watching the games the last 2 years with him, that type of stuff happens all game long. Whenever there is a big run, just rewind and watch the dumb things he does.

Bottom line is that Jaylon isnt a good linebacker and he has no business anywhere near the MLBer position.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Exactly. Lot of focus on Smith and he deserves it but LVE is hot garbage too. He constantly wiffs on tackles. Smith looks like a clown on this play but LVE has to make that tackle and of course he wiffs.
I said when we drafted him i liked rashaan evans better because he wasn't shy to take on contact in the hole. This constantly pops up with LVE some things cannot be taught. LVE don't want that sauce inside.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
There is no defending this at all. You keep your head forward and look for the ball carrier, you dont turn your back assuming and hoping it goes your way. Cant believe some are actually defending this pathetic play.
Amen. The QB had already handed the ball off and the RB was literally one, maybe two strides from him. What the hell is he doing turning his back at that point?

This reminds me, again, of a podcast I listened to with Wade Phillips the other day. He said some coaches are too hung up on gaps. Yes, when the ball is snapped you need to know your assignment and play your technique. But after that, you use your ability and go and get the football. You don't mindlessly run to your gap just so, I don't know, you don't get yelled at in the film room.