What is our top need now?

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
With X. Woods closing out the season as the #5 FS per PFF, Blake Jarwin's emergence and Schultz proving himself as a valuable #2 / #3 TE (plus a returning Swaim next season)..... what is our top need? Are we really looking at OL / DL depth as our top need? That's a pretty amazing position to be in.

I imagine Beezy is out of our price range, and a WR becomes a top need again. We definitely can use interior and outside depth on the o-line, and depth at DE and DT. We can also use a good SS as an improvement over Heath, as well as a more reliable kicker (why is Maher seemingly only money from 50+ - it is nonsensical)

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
1-Tech
3-Tech
Safety
WR
LB
G
C
Yet none of these are truly pressing needs. We have guys at each of the positions. I'd agree DT is our top need since Irving has proved unreliable, but our d-line certainly hasn't been a liability.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
You can make an argument for just about any of those positions.

The Realist

Reaction score
We have a history of not paying our 4th and 5th best OL. LC is a free agent after 2019. Might need a slot WR, but 2 isn’t usually the place to do that. With improvement we’ve seen from the TE position this could be ahead of the cap management draft (LC, Crawford/Collins). 2) OT, 3) DT, 4a) Slot WR, 4b) Scat Back, 5) TE.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I wonder if Taco moves inside to replace Irving.

DL for me...you can never have enuff.
I like our TE group but wouldnt rule out adding an Irv Smith or Kaden Smith.

its a good spot to be in...but if there is a quality DL on the board in Rd 2...a DE like Austin Bryant or a DT like Rashard Lawrence...Id pounce.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
They need the best player available.

What if that's a linebacker?

For me, TE, S, and DT are still our biggest needs. Heath is a liability, Woods still needs to get better. Jarwin and Schultz are complimentary guys, we need a true #1 TE. DT is a need with Irving being a free agent, Crawford's contract escalating, and with Collins and Woods in contract years next season.

We definitely can think about BPA for other positions though. If they are a CB, WR, DE, or OL, then absolutely. We shouldn't have to reach for anything though.

Last edited:

Hardline

Reaction score
What if that's a linebacker?

For me, TE, S, and DT are still our biggest needs. Heath is a liability, Woods still needs to get better. Jarwin and Schultz are complimentary guys, we need a true #1 TE. DT is a need with Irving being a. free agent, Crawford's contract escalating, and with Collins and Woods in contract years next season.

We definitely can think about BPA for other positions though. If they are a CB, WR, DE, or OL, then absolutely. We shouldn't have to reach for anything though.
Take the linebacker or trade out of the spot up or down.

cnuball21

Reaction score
With X. Woods closing out the season as the #5 FS per PFF, Blake Jarwin's emergence and Schultz proving himself as a valuable #2 / #3 TE (plus a returning Swaim next season)..... what is our top need? Are we really looking at OL / DL depth as our top need? That's a pretty amazing position to be in.

I imagine Beezy is out of our price range, and a WR becomes a top need again. We definitely can use interior and outside depth on the o-line, and depth at DE and DT. We can also use a good SS as an improvement over Heath, as well as a more reliable kicker (why is Maher seemingly only money from 50+ - it is nonsensical)

Woods a top 5 FS? lol that can’t be real...

Seeing as he can’t tackle, DT and S are still my biggest needs.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
Talent. We're a team without glaring weaknesses but also without areas of tremendous strength or great depth. After the Cooper trade, there's no area where a player will make a massive immediate upgrade, but there are very few positions where losing somebody won't result in a big dropoff. So you take best player available, the guy who may turn into a superstar (there's no "will" or "should" when your first pick is late in the 2nd), whatever position he plays. If you don't like the option for some reason, trade down. A bruising RB in the second round might be an example of that (an excellent pass-catching RB would not).

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
I believe it is a free safety because you can plug him in right away with this defense and it will also keep Jones at corner instead of him moving to safety if any of them get hurt. We can get a tackle thru FA and we have seen this year that sometimes an experienced lineman in the NFL can be better than a rookie lineman.

Second need is DT since Irving won't be playing and teams are paying top money for them in FA.

Go talent after that.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I think LB will be a need if Wilson gets paid more elsewhere and Lee potentially hangs it up. Thomas, Covington, March-Lillard, none of these guys really excite me.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
With Sean Lee likely leaving this season, top need will be linebacker depth....

Mr_437

Reaction score
Don’t sleep on Covington...we’ve been good at evaluating mid round LBs the last few years.
Always on point CBall. Covington fits nicely into that SAM backer spot w/ Wilson heading to FA. LVE, Jaylon n Covington all are over 245lb... physical bunch.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Have to say it's a tie between DT, one that can defend the run and put on some pass rush, and OT.

If I had to pick one, I'd say OT. Smith will never be the LT he was a couple of years ago, and Collins won't be worth what some team will offer him. Smith led the team with 10 penalties and Collins had 8. Dak sacked 56 times, some were on him because of holding the ball too long, but even if 10 sacks were due to that, that's still too many on the o-line...