What Is The Bare Minimum That Will Get Coach McCarthy a Contract Extension Next Offseason?

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Not talking about pie in the sky stuff like 15+ wins and a championship…

If Mike McCarthy goes 10-7 next year with Dak missing some time to injury, gets a wild card birth & beats the Saints in round 1, and then loses at Detroit in a reasonably competitive game in the division round… could you see Jerry extending him?

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
NFC championship game, minimum. That would be their best playoff performance in 29 years. Anything less and he's gone.
What about from Jerry’s perspective? I ask this only because I don’t really know why Jerry kept him.

Do you think Jerry could possibly keep him again after a divisional round appearance, if circumstances are favorable?

CWR

Reaction score

If Mike McCarthy goes 10-7 next year with Dak missing some time to injury, gets a wild card birth & beats the Saints in round 1, and then loses at Detroit in a reasonably competitive game in the division round… could you see Jerry extending him?
Lol you're asking us to crawl into the mind of a delusional old man.

There's honestly no telling. Because his contract expires we are fortunate Jerry has to make a choice. That is the only real reason to expect change. I'm guessing MM will need a superbowl appearance to remain, BUT Jerry is comfortable so it may be much less.

CWR

Reaction score
What about from Jerry’s perspective? I ask this only because I don’t really know why Jerry kept him.

Do you think Jerry could possibly keep him again after a divisional round appearance, if circumstances are favorable?
I think he kept him because Dak isn't going anywhere and he thinks MM is the key to Dak playing at a high level.

He will rely on improving the run game and defense and hope it's enough.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Let’s just say Dak gets injured and Trey leads the Cowboys to the playoffs and he wins one playoff game. I think MM can get an extension especially if the kid plays well.

Ozone22

Reaction score
Who knows when it comes to Jerry? It seems winning the NFC Least title, making the playoffs, and being #1 on the Forbes list is Jerry's main goal every year.

Scottishcowboy

Reaction score

Dallas is not getting 15 wins with the AFC North and 1st place schedule in 2024 but.......

.....Jerry has shown a strange tendancy to hang on to HCs beyond what others deem "time up" so I would not be shocked at 12-5 and another 1st round exit getting Mike a new contract.

More worrying is Washington, Giants and Eagles could be average at best next season so Dallas could win the division with 10-7, maybe even 9-8 so if that scenario played out with 1, even 2 playoff wins, that could sway Jerry to go again with Mike.

Thing is, the old man could do anything now and it wouldn't surprise me.

Aven8

Reaction score

I am just as curious why Lurie kept your coach around as well. It became quite obvious that your former DC and OC were the glue, with the successes they had with Indy and a few games in Zona. Lots of regression from your QB.

To answer your question, Mike is a fine coach and Dak has never looked better IMO. Unfortunately that’s his ceiling IMO. Can’t imagine he’s going to get any better, or turn it on when the big boys come to town outside of playing Philly really well.

I think making the playoffs 4 years in a row Jerry would be ecstatic. Being relevant is winning in Jerry’s eyes.

kevm3

Reaction score
He just has to not have a complete stinker of a season. We said nfc championship game or superbowl THIS year and yet we have a historically bad playoff loss and he's coming back. He just has to make Jerry smile.

Big_D

Reaction score
You have to win a playoff game convincingly. That's the minimum. Then as long as they don't look like they did last Sunday, he might get a new deal.

bewp7

Reaction score

that is jerry standard now we all saw it with garrett

just get .500 and jerry will keep u around for decade

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score

11-6 win playoff game

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I am just as curious why Lurie kept your coach around as well. It became quite obvious that your former DC and OC were the glue, with the successes they had with Indy and a few games in Zona. Lots of regression from your QB.

To answer your question, Mike is a fine coach and Dak has never looked better IMO. Unfortunately that’s his ceiling IMO. Can’t imagine he’s going to get any better, or turn it on when the big boys come to town outside of playing Philly really well.

I think making the playoffs 4 years in a row Jerry would be ecstatic. Being relevant is winning in Jerry’s eyes.
dak has shown to play well in Kellen’s offense, Garret’s offense, even Linehan’s offense. McCarthy is not a lynchpin between Dak and statistical success, but there is a decent chance Sirianni is that for Hurts