What Is The Bare Minimum That Will Get Coach McCarthy a Contract Extension Next Offseason?

ICP

Reaction score
Cmon everybody, just buy into them! Let's go with 5-12

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Who knows with Jethro. Another playoff appearance could be enough. Daks due to get hurt which could change everything.

And remember he could do one year extension . It doesn’t have to be a longer term deal.

And don’t be surprised if McCarthy looks elsewhere if anyone is interested.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Not talking about pie in the sky stuff like 15+ wins and a championship…

If Mike McCarthy goes 10-7 next year with Dak missing some time to injury, gets a wild card birth & beats the Saints in round 1, and then loses at Detroit in a reasonably competitive game in the division round… could you see Jerry extending him?
No, NFCCG or he gone.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Who knows with Jethro. Another playoff appearance could be enough. Daks due to get hurt which could change everything.

And remember he could do one year extension . It doesn’t have to be a longer term deal.

And don’t be surprised if McCarthy looks elsewhere if anyone is interested.
If they don’t make the NFCCG, Jerry will move on.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Wasn't that the plan for this year though?
Yes, but the offense was excellent this year and the reason they sucked was because they couldn’t stop the run and couldn’t run the ball against good teams. Biggest reason for failure was Dan Quinn and his bend but don’t break defense with safeties as linebackers.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score

If Mike McCarthy goes 10-7 next year with Dak missing some time to injury, gets a wild card birth & beats the Saints in round 1, and then loses at Detroit in a reasonably competitive game in the division round… could you see Jerry extending him?
JUST AS LONG AS HE GOES 500 AT LEAST, that's progress for Jerry!!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
You have to win a playoff game convincingly. That's the minimum. Then as long as they don't look like they did last Sunday, he might get a new deal.
Did that the other year against Tampa

Praxit

Reaction score
Another winning season, with couple post season victories.
This year did him in. Football gods put him in fantastic position to make his Mark.

Failed at Best. Some blame goes on DQ for sure.

Aftershock

Reaction score

Make the playoffs - and Mike stays. That's Jerry's comfort zone.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I thought we should just enjoy having a good team winning 12 games a year. Where did I hear that?
You always are assuming stuff. We have just started the off season for a new season.

Me? I think 2024 that to remain will take 12 wins, homefield, and 2 playoff wins.

MikeT22

Reaction score
What about from Jerry’s perspective? I ask this only because I don’t really know why Jerry kept him.
Jerry hates spending money on coaches. He really hates paying two HC's at the same time, hence why MM is back for the final year of his contract.

kevm3

Reaction score
Why does anyone think Jerry has football accountability metrics? If they existed, we would have moved on and hired a Harbaugh or Bellichick this year.

Historic playoff failure, ton of coaches like Pete Carroll, Harbaugh, possibly Tomlin, Vrabel and Bellichick available. We're rolling with Mike again and DQ will return as DC if he can't get a job elsewhere.

Does anyone really think Jerry cares about football success? ZERO aggression and zero accountability. If Mike doesn't completely wet the bed and makes the playoffs again he's probably returning. There's no requirement for NFC Championship or superbowl. Just make the playoffs again and don't rock the boat.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
NFC championship game, minimum. That would be their best playoff performance in 29 years. Anything less and he's gone.
I would agree, but if they play like they did this past week and get blown out due to being unprepared again, he still is a goner. Losing in a close game might still save his arse. Nothing less. The pressure will be oh him, and the team. He brought it on himself.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You always are assuming stuff. We have just started the off season for a new season.

Me? I think 2024 that to remain will take 12 wins, homefield, and 2 playoff wins.
But we had another 12 win season with a good team which is first this era to win 3 consecutive 12 win seasons . Ya’ll don’t sound like you enjoyed the big season watching our good team.

And we’re going to set ultimatums of reaching a Champ game when we even can’t be sure our team and or QB is great enough to get past other teams which could be better.

That sounds completely unreasonable . What if there are key injuries . What if there’s teams in our way which are decidedly better.