What Is The Bare Minimum That Will Get Coach McCarthy a Contract Extension Next Offseason?

ShortRound

Reaction score
One playoff win. Would be better than this year...

"We're so close" I'm not even kidding.

Aven8

Reaction score
dak has shown to play well in Kellen’s offense, Garret’s offense, even Linehan’s offense. McCarthy is not a lynchpin between Dak and statistical success, but there is a decent chance Sirianni is that for Hurts
Mike in one offseason took his footwork to another level. Hopefully he does the same for Lance!

Chasing6

Reaction score
Only way he gets an extension I would think is a Super Bowl appearance.
Yes, because changing your head coach and all of your assistants dramatically improves your team in year 1.

Blitzen

Reaction score
What about from Jerry’s perspective? I ask this only because I don’t really know why Jerry kept him.

Do you think Jerry could possibly keep him again after a divisional round appearance, if circumstances are favorable?
Jerry thinks people are more likely to work hard and be their best when they reach the final contract year-job security is on the line (the irony-I know). Also, he also does not want to reset the Dak era again after Dak showed such great numbers in his offense (at least against the worst teams played).

I think he just lets Mike walk if they do not reach the NFCCG. If the season goes way south, he might get fired mid season

Mr_437

Reaction score
Not talking about pie in the sky stuff like 15+ wins and a championship…

If Mike McCarthy goes 10-7 next year with Dak missing some time to injury, gets a wild card birth & beats the Saints in round 1, and then loses at Detroit in a reasonably competitive game in the division round… could you see Jerry extending him?
Apparently, another 12-5 regular season record...I mean it works for Dak.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
What about from Jerry’s perspective? I ask this only because I don’t really know why Jerry kept him.
Jerry's loyal to his people. He kept Garrett for 10 years, which was the length of his contract. Mike's contract is through this year, ergo, he was kept for this year.

As far as what MM has to do, I agree with the NFCCG folks here, that's the bare minimum

Chasing6

Reaction score
Jerry thinks people are more likely to work hard and be their best when they reach the final contract year-job security is on the line (the irony-I know). Also, he also does not want to reset the Dak era again after Dak showed such great numbers in his offense (at least against the worst teams played).

I think he just lets Mike walk if they do not reach the NFCCG. If the season goes way south, he might get fired mid season
Jeruh is in a time crunch. He does not have time for significant changes. Resign Dak, with an out clause or reasonable exit strategy. Go all in during free agency and have a 2 year window.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
One playoff win. Would be better than this year...

"We're so close" I'm not even kidding.
If this was 10-12-15 years ago, I'd agree.

Jerry's going to be 82 this year, he can't wait, time's running out, it's SB or bust for Jerry with McCarthy...

Carson

Reaction score
Conference championship is the bar, anything less he has to go

JustChip

Reaction score

If Mike McCarthy goes 10-7 next year with Dak missing some time to injury, gets a wild card birth & beats the Saints in round 1, and then loses at Detroit in a reasonably competitive game in the division round… could you see Jerry extending him?
Yes, in that scenario. Jerry is always going the path of least resistance.

CWR

Reaction score
dak has shown to play well in Kellen’s offense, Garret’s offense, even Linehan’s offense. McCarthy is not a lynchpin between Dak and statistical success, but there is a decent chance Sirianni is that for Hurts
To be fair you're asking me to find Jerry logic. That's my guess, but yeah you're not wrong. This WAS Daks best season to date though.

JustChip

Reaction score
Lol you're asking us to crawl into the mind of a delusional old man.

There's honestly no telling. Because his contract expires we are fortunate Jerry has to make a choice. That is the only real reason to expect change. I'm guessing MM will need a superbowl appearance to remain, BUT Jerry is comfortable so it may be much less.
It’s comparable to 2019. Garrett’s contract had expired, but lost 4 of the last 6, finishing 8-8 and out of the playoffs. More importantly, appeared to have lost the team after the Vikings game.

The scenario the OP laid out is not the same. If the team overcomes significant obstacles, makes the playoffs, wins a game and is competitive in the next, Jerry is likely to maintain the status quo and bring McCarthy back on a 1 year deal.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Who knows what it will take to get him an extension. I’m sure most of us thought a blowout one and done loss at home in the playoffs would get him fired.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Well, they’ll certainly trash the Eagles again like they do most years so that’s not it although if an Eagirls team won only 2 games all year and they were against the Cowboys, the Philthy coach would get a 10 year extension.

So that leaves NFCCG or he’s gone.