What is the deal with Bobby Carpenter?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
He wasn't a beast in college. He's just soft. He'd be soft in a 4-3 too.

odog422

Reaction score
He confuses me. He was very good in college and I wanted him. I follow OSU football and I thought while Hawk was definitely the better LB, Carpenter was not that far off. He made plays.

Outside of the game in Seattle, his disdain for contact while in the pros has stood out more to me than any other aspect of his time on the field.

Immediately coming to mind are two plays on ST: the one where he is shadowing the KR rather than trying to go in for the tackle (looks like he's trying to pick a spot while running alongside him where he can maybe grab him without possibly getting hit); and the onside kick attempted against us where the ball came to him and again, he kind of backed up and waited for someone else to dive in, seemingly for fear of a collision with other players who were starting to dive for the ball.

When I watched him in preseason, he routinely ate blocks and got pushed down the field.

Finally, the meekness he showed in Hard Knocks after being verbally pimp-slapped really gave insight IMO to his heart - or lack of it.

Extremely disappointing to me. I will say the coaching staff has probably shuffled him too much in his defense. But you should never be talking about or questioning a LINEBACKER'S physicality. Whether he's inside, outside, in a 3-4 or 4-3.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
lane;2406309 said:
bobby is an outside linebacker..plain and simple.

anyone on here who watched the seattle playoff game would remember he flat out dominated in that game.

bobby is not a bust....he should have beeen on the field instead of ellis all this time.

greg ellis has been nothing but an average de for us since the day we drafted him.

he is a 4-3 outside lb just rotting away on our bench.

Agreed, for the most part.

Funny Parcells and Phillips both see no role for Carpenter.

It is what it is he is a bust.

Yet Parcells started him the last few games of 2006 (including the playoff game). And no defensive player on the field (for either team) played as good as he did in that playoff game.

You really should just keep quiet Nors, you've proven time and time again how freakin' clueless you are.