What is the deal with Cooper?

John813

Reaction score
Time to shop around Cooper and see if they can get rid of his ridiculously overpaid contract.

This and next year his total cap hit will be 34 mil, or 17 on average. It's not that bad.

Add in his guaranteed salary expires in 2022 and his signing bonus was only 10mil. They could get creative with his deal if they want to keep him longer than two years.
Or he should have some trade value after 2022, depending on his play/ how the cap looks. At worst, cutting him in 2022 will barely sting.

Shopping him now is ridiculous. Not only because he is playing well, but also because you eat 40 million

On top of that, after 2021 he becomes a very attractive trade chip

Guaranteed base isn't considered dead cap if traded. Only if cut. His dead cap if traded will be from the signing bonus.

fivetwos

Reaction score
This and next year his total cap hit will be 34 mil, or 17 on average. It's not that bad.

Add in his guaranteed salary expires in 2022 and his signing bonus was only 10mil. They could get creative with his deal if they want to keep him longer than two years.
Or he should have some trade value after 2022, depending on his play/ how the cap looks. At worst, cutting him in 2022 will barely sting.

Guaranteed base isn't considered dead cap if traded. Only if cut. His dead cap if traded will be from the signing bonus.
Yes, it's this year and next.

Jerry didnt get hosed on the structure the way he did on the Elliott and Lawrence deals.

Williamsboys

Reaction score
Looking at the Cowboy's offense, I would consider trading Coop for some defensive help, but we would need a team desperate for a wideout with his big contract.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Cooper will never be fully healthy and continue taking plays off or standing on the sidelines during late game crucial drives with the game on the line. Are you ok paying him $20 million per season for that? We could use his $100 million contract to shore up our defense.
Like I said man I'm more concerned with the defense. I'm more concerned with paying Jaylen, Crawford and Lawrence before I even think about what I pay Cooper.

zerofill

Reaction score
#1 receivers often play decoy... When teams double team, etc...
The pass he was slow to get up on when his head hit the field, may also be a reason...

I still hate Turf, and still think it is the #1 cause of concussions, and ACL injuries, probably doesn't help his foot either.

He is far from a bum, dude is an amazing route runner.

They are going to rest him often probably... I doubt you can ever fix his foot issue, just have to baby him through seasons.

It is the ligament that connects the back and front of your foot on the bottom if I remember correctly. I doubt you can ever repair that
without risking ruining a receiver.

I will admit though, it is a weird injury to have on your #1...

But, if we don't have enough targets when he is off the field, there is something wrong. Capable receivers doesn't seem to be our real problem on offense right now.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Looking at the Cowboy's offense, I would consider trading Coop for some defensive help, but we would need a team desperate for a wideout with his big contract.
Nearly impossible at the moment due to cap constraints.

Nor should they consider it. I'm not at all saying to trade the dude, I'm just not a fan for a few reasons.

Besides, Jerry never, EVER operates that way. Ever.

We need everyone because every year is the year the miracle happens, and every other well coached team steps aside so Jerry Jones can be recognized as a football guy. Right Jerry??

fivetwos

Reaction score
Its a indicator of just that...bad body language. I'd actually use his play to gauge him rather than body language.
Sure. Sounds good. Nice fantasy numbers. I trust Gallup and Lamb more than him at this point to not drop a big 3rd down catch.

I'm just happy he was mindful enough to not cause a "ruckus" when he was removed on the play w the season on the line last year.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Sure. Sounds good. Nice fantasy numbers. I trust Gallup and Lamb more than him at this point to not drop a big 3rd down catch.

I'm just happy he was mindful enough to not cause a "ruckus" when he was removed on the play w the season on the line last year.
So you believe Lamb and Gallup have been more consistent then Cooper lol?

fivetwos

Reaction score
If it came down to paying Cooper or Byron I'd still pay Cooper.
I'll agree there.

Not a Jones fan either.

I just want dudes who WANT it. I just dont get that impression from Cooper. Not like I root against him or anything, I just don't think he is upper echelon in the league at WR.

Gaede

Reaction score
You guys are weird. Cooper looks fine. If we had a better OL, he'd be getting a ton more catches. Same with Gallup and Lamb.

Certain players get an undeserved reputation on this board and Cooper for whatever reason is one of those guys

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Why would a team trade a actual good defensive player for a receiver?
WR's are more valuable than most defensive players outside DE's and passing rushing DT's. I wouldnt trade one of our WR's for a defensive players right now. May next year when the rookie scale guys are more established

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I just think we have an embarrassment of riches at WR and they are just rotating them through.

FalseStart75Pozderac

Reaction score
Cmon, he is on pace for 133 catches. Never heard of a receiver disappearing for a season with that type of production. And for the season he is catching over 71 percent of the passes intended for him. Remember Dez?? he was at 52 percent his last two years in Dallas. No issue with him, his presence is also good for the younger receivers as well, learning the nuances of route running.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
WR's are more valuable than most defensive players outside DE's and passing rushing DT's. I wouldnt trade one of our WR's for a defensive players right now. May next year when the rookie scale guys are more established
Well ok if you say excluding DE's and DT's then that's a whole totally different statement being made lol. That's like saying I wouldn't trade corner for anyone on offense aside from left tackle and quarterback lol.