What is the max amount you can pay a QB and still win a SB

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I've seen it done lots of different ways, as everyone has.

I'll just say this for myself. If my team has an above average QB and a decent or good defense, I think I always have a chance to get hot and win a title.
On the other hand, there is absolutely nothing more frustrating than knowing you have a very good team with stars on offense and defense and see them fail due to the QB throwing interceptions or fumbling or just crumbling under the pressure of the big stage. As frustrating as this season was, I would have been suicidal if I'd been the Chicago Bears.

Teams have won the SB without an above average QB, but most teams don't. Dallas has never won without an above average QB and pretty good defense.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
It dosent look like very much to me . Are the Packers , Seahawks , Vikings , Steelers Lions winning SBs

Pats with the GOAT at a very reasonable figure are pretty consistent at it , A guy that not only elevates the players around him but plays cheap seems to be the answer.

How much was Nick Foles and Wentz making together when they won it How about Flacco and Wilson when they won SBs or Mahomes this year Didnt Peyton take a pay cut in 2015 so the Broncos could get it done .

This isnt about Dak wanting to get paid THEY ALL WANT AND DO GET PAID . The difference is their respective franchises dont SQUANDER their rookie contracts and provide the team with talent and coaching to get it done before THEY HAVE TO PAY THEM!!!!

We didnt make use of the window of opportunity and IMO it dosent matter if its 30 or 40 MIL WE NEEDED TO GET IT DONE WHILE IT WAS 650K
Now we will be a few players away like all the rest of the teams that have had to pay . No matter how well we are coached or how well Dak plays it wont equal the 6-8 impact players we could have for 30 -40 mil
I think QB is the one position you pay whatever it takes to get an elite player there.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Rodgers was in playoffs 8 years in a row and I think 10 or 11 of 13 years going to 4 or 5 championship games.

Limiting the discussion to who’s winning Super Bowls again an attempt to spin supporting a narrative.

Brees and Saints a consistent contender much like Wilson and Brees are now despite how the team around them evolved within the Cap.

That’s what Elite talent at QB does for you. Is it a guarantee for winning SB. Of course not but it’s sure darn more easier to remain on top always a threat.

I agree; Broncos won in 2015 with Manning on a hefty deal (at the time) and he wasn’t even instrumental to them in winning. They basically overcame his contract and carried him

John813

Reaction score
Unless it's a backup OL and your starter goes down. Then that 5 mil makes a HUGE impact!!!!!

How much we paying Filo? He saved our season.

How much we paying Woods? We suck when he's out.

How much is Joe Thomas making? He saved our season last year, though it was thrown away by others.

What did we pay Cobb?

Those 5 million dollar players can make a huge impact.

How much are the Chiefs paying Damien Wilson?

Only Cobb was paid close to the 5mil range aav.

Woods was 480k and 570k.
XSF was roughly 800k a year for 2 years.
Thomas was 900k and 1.7mil the past two years.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think QB is the one position you pay whatever it takes to get an elite player there.
maxie, I think that is the best approach providing you can find one.

If this was a debate about Prescott or taking Burrow or Tua because they're picking that high up, this would be a different discussion.

It's not as much about what you want to do as what you have to do based on the circumstances. They either pay him, tag or contract, or they go with a FA QB. And they still have the challenge of getting an elite QB and if they've spent the 17th on that, how does the D get help? Especially if they let Jones walk?

The problem is they're already too far down this road to go back and start over, they're committed and they might as well stop screwing around and just get as much done as they can. It's only for 3 or 4 years anyway, they can always gear up for another shot but in their minds, they are close. They didn't hire this HC to rebuild. He got a 5 year deal but that's not the expectations, 2 years at the outside. Booger didn't let his boy go to not get closer to the Big Dance.

Adreme

Reaction score
Robert Quinn signed a 1 year, $8,000,000 contract .

I thought he was good /great last season . Not elite, but great.

So on the interior DLine 10m will get you a Shelden Richardson/Dontari Poe (granted I am using salary cap numbers for 2019 instead of AAV which is probably a higher number for those players). They are good players but certainly not great. Maybe Mike Daniels or DeForest Buckner but again good but not great players.

To focus more on the 4-3 players defensive ends you are getting a Cameron Jordan or an Arik Armstead.

Pass rushers are criminally overpaid in the NFL.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The QB that just won the Super Bowl will be making 40+ M. The opposing QB he was facing is making 27M per season. The top four highest paid QBs in the NFL all made the playoffs last season. The lesser the QB the better the team, especially the defense has to be around them. If you’re looking to win a championship you can’t go cheap with a lesser player at the most critical position on a football team.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
So on the interior DLine 10m will get you a Shelden Richardson/Dontari Poe (granted I am using salary cap numbers for 2019 instead of AAV which is probably a higher number for those players). They are good players but certainly not great. Maybe Mike Daniels or DeForest Buckner but again good but not great players.

To focus more on the 4-3 players defensive ends you are getting a Cameron Jordan or an Arik Armstead.

Pass rushers are criminally overpaid in the NFL.

Yeah , I think this would be an upgrade . Some Past Pro-Bowlers , would be an upgrade for sure.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
The QB that just won the Super Bowl will be making 40+ M. The opposing QB he was facing is making 27M per season. The top four highest paid QBs in the NFL all made the playoffs last season. The lesser the QB the better the team, especially the defense has to be around them. If you’re looking to win a championship you can’t go cheap with a lesser player at the most critical position on a football team.

Yep, 27M sounds about right.

We didn't even make the playoffs, but who cares right ?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

The QB we have gives us the best chance over all the names that are being mentioned to replace him. Dak’s development was our only bright spot last season. Had we been able to win a couple of close games we would have made the playoffs. A play here or a play there and we could’ve easily won 10 games.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
It depends if you have a reasonable thinking QB that is content being paid fair market value oo if you have a greedy top 12 QB that wants to be paid like a top 5 QB.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
FREE AGENT QBs:

1. Drew Brees 25M
2. Tom Brady 23M
3. Philip River 20M

-----
4. Teddy Bridgewater 7M
5. Jameis Winston 6M
6. Marcus Marriota 6M
7. Chase Daniel 5M

Where are the 40M salaries for the QBs ?

Adreme

Reaction score

With cap inflation that is probably around 29-30M which would probably be the first hit of Daks contract even if its beats Russel.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
FREE AGENT QBs:

1. Drew Brees 25M
2. Tom Brady 23M
3. Philip River 20M

-----
4. Teddy Bridgewater 7M
5. Jameis Winston 6M
6. Marcus Marriota 6M
7. Chase Daniel 5M

Where are the 40M salaries for the QBs ?

The 40M salaries will start with Mahomes. All those QBs you listed signed their contracts a while ago. QB salaries have gone up since then. The last few QBs that re-signed are making over 30M.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
The 40M salaries will start with Mahomes. All those QBs you listed signed their contracts a while ago. QB salaries have gone up since then. The last few QBs that resigned are making over 30M.

Yes i understand that . And thats why I posted the oportunity to sign elite QBs for that money , or go 8-8 with Bridgewater, Winston, or Marriota.

I'll bet that we can make 8-8 with Bridgewater, Winston, or Marriota... and not make the playoffs every other year .

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yes i understand that . And thats why I posted the oportunity to sign elite QBs for that money , or go 8-8 with Bridgewater, Winston, or Marriota.

I'll bet that we can make 8-8 with Bridgewater, Winston, or Marriota... and not make the playoffs every other year .

We wouldn’t win anything with those QBs. Winston has been benched a couple of times. The 30 ints he tossed last season were the most by a QB in around 15 years. It’s feast or famine with him. He’s never led the Bucs to the playoffs and has a career passer rating of 86.9. Plus he’s been suspended for off the field issues. Reports are he’s looking for big money. Bridgewater isn’t a bad QB but he’s a backup for a reason and is 0-1 in the playoffs. He’s a game manager that hasn’t passed for 3300 yards in a season. As for Mariota he got benched and has some of the weakest career passing numbers of any starter in the league. He’s a bust!