What is the max amount you can pay a QB and still win a SB

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You can go cheap at a lot of positions and win a Super Bowl but not the QB position. There’s a reason QBs are being paid the way they are. If you want to go cheap at QB you’ll end up with one of the names that are being mentioned here. You’ll end up starting a backup. Sure, there’s been teams that have won Super Bowl’s with average QBs but those teams had GREAT defenses. Those teams won games with defense. All their QBs had to do was drive the bus and manage games. Yes, an average QB like Nick Foles won a Super Bowl but he didn’t play like an average QB in the playoffs and Super Bowl.

You can’t bank on bringing in an average QB who should be carrying a clipboard and depend on them playing like a Hall of Famer when it matters most. Everyone made a big deal about Jimmy G being paid a lot of money but he did end up leading the 49ers to the Super Bowl. It took a great performance in the final 7 minutes of the Super Bowl by a truly great QB who will be making 40+M pretty soon to keep Jimmy G from hoisting the Lombardi trophy. Super Bowls usually come down to the QB and the 4 highest paid QBs in the league in 2019 made the playoffs last season.

Cheap QBs are winning Superbowls.. They’re elite guys on rookie deals that allows teams do build around them.

After they get paid they aren’t winning Superbowls.

Dak had an extremely low deal and we managed to win 1 wildcard game. That is when you’re supposed to push for Superbowls.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If Dak had already won a championship nobody would be complaining him being over paid.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Mahomes might not win a championship after they pay him but he’s already won one so it’s justified.

This is a futile argument that the Elite QB’s high salary are preventing those teams from winning another championship.

The bigger issue is over paying QB’s who aren’t Elite or haven’t won a championship.

SSoup

Reaction score
The Packers and Steelers won rings while their franchise QBs were making franchise QB money on their 2nd contracts. Peyton did it with the Colts. And did it again with the Broncos while he was actually a mediocre QB. The Giants did it twice with Eli making franchise QB money. That's off the top of my head. There's surely more I'm not thinking about.

I think people get overly caught up on teams like the Seahawks having sudden ascensions during their QB's cheap rookie contract phase and forget that that's not the only way to do it. (And they forget most teams who do that didn't even plan it. Most of them stumble into it, paying a big contract to a QB like Matt Flynn and lucking into it when their rookie QB turns out to be better. Or like we did with Dak, stumble into a good young one who will spend multiple years on teams still paying dead money to the former QB, partially squandering the advantage.)

Though it is certainly a very advantageous way to do it if you can plan for it and really make the most of the approach, paying a starting QB peanuts and loading up at other important positions. The question is, do you do it that way for a few years while your QB is cheap and then switch and do it the other way for the next ten years? Or do you have the stones to part ways with a young franchise QB just to start over with a cheap rookie all over again, who very likely will not turn out to be good?

That might be a viable way of trying this. If you're willing to be like the Florida Marlins and load up for a title run, and be willing to tear it all down almost immediately to start the rebuild for the next run once you feel like you've taken the best shot you had during that window.

I wouldn't mind at all if the team came out and said, "Hey, look, we're bad at this. We know, you guys. We get it. We just don't know how to pay a QB what a QB costs and field a good team around them. So, instead, we're going to do a hard reset with a new cheap QB every 4 or 5 years, and try to buy the best team possible around them." Identifying and exploiting an inefficiency in the market that allows for someone to take advantage by bucking the group-think? That would be pretty exciting to have them settle on that as a strategy. That would be Moneyball-type stuff.

Though I think our addle-minded GM isn't quite up to the task of Moneyballing. And even if he was, I think he's too desperate for the football community to give him their approval for him to be willing to stomach the disdain and scorn he'd get for bucking conventional thinking like that. He'd cave the second sportswriters started publishing pieces with quotes from fellow league insiders ripping us for disregarding sacrosanct conventional wisdom that fetishizes the star QB above all else.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes it is because in Daks era I would take him at 26 yrs old at 650k with an Elite coaching staff over Rodgers with the same staff at 33 million because its a team game and I could put more players around Dak and win a Championship . Rodgers as great as he is has not been able to elevate his team enough in the Dak era to get a ring why not .
But our chances of winning a championship the last 4 years would have increased significantly with Rodgers and as long as Rodgers is playing at this level.

He’s elevated his team to 2 championship appearances in last 4 years. I’d argue if he had this supporting cast he’d of broke thru. Regardless it’s still better results than we’ve had.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry F'ed up. No other way to put it. He believed Garrett and his staff could get the job done. I think things are finally going in the right direction now though.
Not really sure what Jerry believed. I always believed Garrett was just a comfortable fit for him so he could continue his selfish foolishness being a football idiot.

And despite the results I think he’d of stayed with him without the public outcry as I’d always argued we’d probably not see a change without a collapse. And last year after a 3-0 start raising expectations it was a collapse of sorts.

And Jerry fought it to the bitter end to retain him which should concern everyone his priorities of winning.

Blackrain

Reaction score
But our chances of winning a championship the last 4 years would have increased significantly with Rodgers and as long as Rodgers is playing at this level.

He’s elevated his team to 2 championship appearances in last 4 years. I’d argue if he had this supporting cast he’d of broke thru. Regardless it’s still better results than we’ve had.

Problem is costing 33 mil he would not have this supporting cast . and would still fall short without the talent . Its a team game where one guy can only do so much . This is not Hoops

Blackrain

Reaction score
Jerry F'ed up. No other way to put it. He believed Garrett and his staff could get the job done. I think things are finally going in the right direction now though.

I believe they are also and for once in a long time have some hope . Sorry but Im a greedy SOB and just wish we got this staff sooner so we could throw the maximum amount of cash at whatever we needed to make us a SB winner .

I honestly had given up hope on a championship and figured Garrett was here for the duration and making the playoffs was our ceiling .

Now we have a legitimate staff would love to see them have every resource possible to be successful

Sheesh was painful to watch the Eagles destroyed by Chip Kelly have the sense to cut bait and retool with Peterson and pull a championship from under our nose while we continued to wallow with Garrett .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Problem is costing 33 mil he would not have this supporting cast . and would still fall short without the talent . Its a team game where one guy can only do so much . This is not Hoops
I’d still rather that situation than ours.

We saw in 2016 playoffs where their one guy practically won it single handily with a miraculous play.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Cheap QBs are winning Superbowls.. They’re elite guys on rookie deals that allows teams do build around them.

After they get paid they aren’t winning Superbowls.

Dak had an extremely low deal and we managed to win 1 wildcard game. That is when you’re supposed to push for Superbowls.

They’re elite QBs who were drafted in the first round. I can only come up with three who were playing on their rookie deals when they won a Super Bowl Rothlisberger, Eli and Mahomes. Rothlisberger and Eli did win Super Bowl’s after they got paid and Mahomes will likely win another Super Bowl after he gets paid. Brady continued to win Super Bowl’s after he got paid. Peyton Manning won Super Bowl’s after he got paid. The point is they weren’t cheap QBs who were brought in to start for cheap, which is what many fans like you want the Cowboys to do. We won a playoff game with a QB who was drafted in the fourth round who had no business starting his rookie year. We had no choice but to start him with Romo and Kellen Moore going down.

We didn’t even start grooming Dak to start until after the third preseason game his rookie year. When you make the playoffs you are pushing for a Super Bowl, especially when you’re the number one seed like we were in 2016. You would have to go back to Tom Brady, a sixth round pick to find a QB who was drafted lower than Dak who had more success than he’s had his first four seasons. We have a QB who has a chance to become an elite QB but you and many other fans would rather move on from him while he’s ascending and allow him to reach his ceiling for another team, leaving us struggling to find a QB. Just a couple of days ago you suggested sending Dak and two #1’s to Cincinnati for the number one overall pick. That’s how lost you are.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I believe they are also and for once in a long time have some hope . Sorry but Im a greedy SOB and just wish we got this staff sooner so we could throw the maximum amount of cash at whatever we needed to make us a SB winner .

I honestly had given up hope on a championship and figured Garrett was here for the duration and making the playoffs was our ceiling .

Now we have a legitimate staff would love to see them have every resource possible to be successful

Sheesh was painful to watch the Eagles destroyed by Chip Kelly have the sense to cut bait and retool with Peterson and pull a championship from under our nose while we continued to wallow with Garrett .
We still have the greater obstacle to overcome. The one who’s determine our fate with current contract negotiations. Not to mention FA and draft coming up.

And that doesn’t take into account the toxic atmosphere and continued dysfunction that a better coaching decision can’t shake the meddling and interference.

All we can hope is on Game Day it’s enough to make a bigger difference.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It dosent look like very much to me . Are the Packers , Seahawks , Vikings , Steelers Lions winning SBs

Pats with the GOAT at a very reasonable figure are pretty consistent at it , A guy that not only elevates the players around him but plays cheap seems to be the answer.

How much was Nick Foles and Wentz making together when they won it How about Flacco and Wilson when they won SBs or Mahomes this year Didnt Peyton take a pay cut in 2015 so the Broncos could get it done .

This isnt about Dak wanting to get paid THEY ALL WANT AND DO GET PAID . The difference is their respective franchises dont SQUANDER their rookie contracts and provide the team with talent and coaching to get it done before THEY HAVE TO PAY THEM!!!!

We didnt make use of the window of opportunity and IMO it dosent matter if its 30 or 40 MIL WE NEEDED TO GET IT DONE WHILE IT WAS 650K
Now we will be a few players away like all the rest of the teams that have had to pay . No matter how well we are coached or how well Dak plays it wont equal the 6-8 impact players we could have for 30 -40 mil
18% of the cap.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Depends how talented the QB is.

If you have to pay a QB who has to have a great supporting cast around him that's when you have problems.

We have problems.
This is the point.

A Rodgers, Brees, Manning, Brady, Mahomes getting paid full dollar—especially in there prime years—is well worth it. They CARRY teams
But anyone getting paid at the very top, as if they are that good, but aren't, well......Its a problem

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Unless it's a backup OL and your starter goes down. Then that 5 mil makes a HUGE impact!!!!!

How much we paying Filo? He saved our season.

How much we paying Woods? We suck when he's out.

How much is Joe Thomas making? He saved our season last year, though it was thrown away by others.

What did we pay Cobb?

Those 5 million dollar players can make a huge impact.

How much are the Chiefs paying Damien Wilson?

Spot on

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
No, you just didn’t like my answer. I redirected the question:)
I didn't like your answer because what you said was wrong and I proved it. You couldn't debate it so you said something silly like 1 superbowl win sounds good to cowboys fans.