What is the max amount you can pay a QB and still win a SB

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
If your offense goes 3and out until the 3rd quarter ... You won't have a chance .

Not even with the best defense in the league .

DandyDon52

Reaction score
That wasn't your argument though. You said an elite QB like Rodgers and Brees will always keep you in contention and making deep playoff runs and superbowls. That statement you made was false, now you try to spin it into something about Dak and Dallas fans.

Stop running around the bush, just admit you weren't correct and move on. If you want to say those two players got 1 superbowl ring in the last decade or so and Dallas has 0 than I would agree. That's not what you said though.
yeah both rodgers and brees wanted to be paid a big salary more than they
wanted to win another SB. They want to have their cake and eat it too.
Neither one has ever made it back to a SB much less win one.
Both those guys came in making millions, and still wanted the big payday,
and dak had the rd 4 pay for 4 years, most qb's make more in in a few games than dak made in 4 years, so he deserves a big contract.
Dallas and jones boys can get another cheaper qb like in the draft or pay dak, it is up to them.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
If your offense goes 3and out until the 3rd quarter ... You won't have a chance .

True but if you have a good run game and use it properly and short passing
no mistakes, the offense will score enough to win games.

Silly

Reaction score
I don't know if it is really a question of QB money or team chemistry and talent. If Dak is ever going to win he needs help form the draft and free agency. Front office needs to draft better. Just stop with the project players already.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yea Mahomes suks. Lol

Thst 3rd and 15 didn’t save their championship.
Did you watch the same Super Bowl I watched. Yeah Mahomes sucked. Even Terry Bradshaw said so. Not that that matters but. The media just dying to have another Mr. lover boy Like Aaron Rodgers.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Did you watch the same Super Bowl I watched. Yeah Mahomes sucked. Even Terry Bradshaw said so. Not that that matters but. The media just dying to have another Mr. lover boy Like Aaron Rodgers.

Glad someone else saw what I saw passes low and behind receivers , INTs The most wobbling passes I have ever seen outside of a punt pass and kick competition SHEESH!!! and that hail Mary was so far behind the receiver he had to turn around and field it like a punt .

But hey you have to hand it to him when it counted he pulled his best ELI Manning and got lucky at the perfect time in the biggest game

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The hail Mary is what saved it. Never mind San Francisco. Missing a wide-open receiver in the end zone. Mahomes did not win that game San Fran lost it
lol

Funny no one else is telling that story. Only some slobbering Dak fans probably.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
So, what’s the percentage without an Elite QB?

Maybe teams should stop pursuing a great QB? Lol

If you look over the salary cap era, winning a super bowl is done by a great QB while on his rookie deal or Tom Brady on his yearly discount. There are exceptions, but not many.

No one wins by paying a QB, even a great one, a lot of money.

If the stats I quoted are correct, the max percentage times the salary cap for next year would leave the highest salary at around $23m.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Regardless if the cowboys keep or don’t keep Dak.

They unquestionably flushed their best chance to win a Super Bowl with Dak, down the toilet, by having an incompetent like Jason Garrett as the head coach.

Thanks Jerry and thanks Redball.

This is something most cowboys fans should be able to agree on.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score

Good thing the team has been very good at avoiding 3 & outs for many years. I can’t imagine how bad the defense would look if we did have an actual problem with 3 & outs.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
So, what’s the percentage without an Elite QB?

Maybe teams should stop pursuing a great QB? Lol
This is not a pro elite or con elite question, it's what has been the highest percentage of the cap has a quarterback received and the team won a Superbowl.
This is not a love or hate dak question, it's more of a cap percentage question. thanks

Blackrain

Reaction score
If you look over the salary cap era, winning a super bowl is done by a great QB while on his rookie deal or Tom Brady on his yearly discount. There are exceptions, but not many.

No one wins by paying a QB, even a great one, a lot of money.

If the stats I quoted are correct, the max percentage times the salary cap for next year would leave the highest salary at around $23m.

Great post This answers my question . Isnt 23 Mil around the figure Brady gets with the discount . This would really make sense as the Pats seem to win every other year.
Regardless if the cowboys keep or don’t keep Dak.

They unquestionably flushed their best chance to win a Super Bowl with Dak, down the toilet, by having an incompetent like Jason Garrett as the head coach.

Thanks Jerry and thanks Redball.

This is a fact because when Dak was at 650k we could have signed 3 12mil impact players for our defense ,now that amount of money and maybe more will have to be used to retain Dak and keep us just a couple players away .from the talent we could have on the team if we had good coaching while Dak was on his rookie deal

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Great post This answers my question . Isnt 23 Mil around the figure Brady gets with the discount . This would really make sense as the Pats seem to win every other year.

This is a fact because when Dak was at 650k we could have signed 3 12mil impact players for our defense ,now that amount of money and maybe more will have to be used to retain Dak and keep us just a couple players away .from the talent we could have on the team if we had good coaching while Dak was on his rookie deal
Dak has been one of our best players while making $4 million for 4 years of play. During this time he has been overly criticized by a large portion of the fanbase, primary because his name was not Tony Romo. He should have been appreciated for his outstanding production compared to his cost because he has been the best value over the past 4 seasons in the NFL and it isn’t even close.

The outrage over the past 4 years should be directed at the other members of the team soaking up all the salary cap dollars, the coaching staff and the front office for why they couldn’t elevate their game to take advantage of the best value QB in the league.

Blackrain

Reaction score
This is not a pro elite or con elite question, it's what has been the highest percentage of the cap has a quarterback received and the team won a Superbowl.
This is not a love or hate dak question, it's more of a cap percentage question. thanks

Thanks Crash for clearing that up this is not so much about Dak as it is about how much money can you throw at any player and still have enough to build a team that can win a SB not just make the playoffs . Our team has shown you can have a very flawed system and make the playoffs .

To get to the finish line and win the LAST game opportunities can not be SQUANDERED . High Draft picks cant be busts they must be 10 yr starters you have to get lucky and hit on some late round picks and above all COACHING the place where you can spend all the money in the world and it dose nothing but benefit you needs to be at the absolute highest level at all times so when the stars align the talent is in place and you by the grace of God LUCK OUT and hit on a good QB in the 4th round that costs you nothing you can take full advantage of this good fortune and have someone better than Howdy Doody to pull the whole thing together

Sorry for the rant but if frustrates the spit out of me to watch us continually close the barn door after the horse is gone

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Thanks Crash for clearing that up this is not so much about Dak as it is about how much money can you throw at any player and still have enough to build a team that can win a SB not just make the playoffs . Our team has shown you can have a very flawed system and make the playoffs .

To get to the finish line and win the LAST game opportunities can not be SQUANDERED . High Draft picks cant be busts they must be 10 yr starters you have to get lucky and hit on some late round picks and above all COACHING the place where you can spend all the money in the world and it dose nothing but benefit you needs to be at the absolute highest level at all times so when the stars align the talent is in place and you by the grace of God LUCK OUT and hit on a good QB in the 4th round that costs you nothing you can take full advantage of this good fortune and have someone better than Howdy Doody to pull the whole thing together

Sorry for the rant but if frustrates the spit out of me to watch us continually close the barn door after the horse is gone
I agree 100 percent. nice post.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dak has been one of our best players while making $4 million for 4 years of play. During this time he has been overly criticized by a large portion of the fanbase, primary because his name was not Tony Romo. He should have been appreciated for his outstanding production compared to his cost because he has been the best value over the past 4 seasons in the NFL and it isn’t even close.

The outrage over the past 4 years should be directed at the other members of the team soaking up all the salary cap dollars, the coaching staff and the front office for why they couldn’t elevate their game to take advantage of the best value QB in the league.
I haven’t heard anyone argue Dak on his Rookie salary wasn’t a bargain. And I think most would agree these last 4 years was our best window to win being able to provide a strong supporting cast.

Most of the Elite QB’s who do win championships often do it while in their Rookie contracts. Then once teams have to ante up its more challenging to surround them with as much which has been part of the argument in this thread.

The question we might want to ask now once we pay Dak is why do we think our chances to win a championship will increase without ultimately as much supporting cast?

Diehardblues

Reaction score

The point I was making was once you have to pay your QB the closer they are to Elite the easier it is to surround them with a stronger supporting cast.

And those QB’s and teams are usually the more serious contenders always a threat to go deeper in the playoffs (not just make the playoffs )with multiple championship appearances.

Wanting to narrow the argument to only who wins the championship is an attempt to use a stat or fact to support a narrative.

All QB’s need a supporting cast. It’s what they do with it that separates the greater ones.

If just making the playoffs without any deeper runs or championship appearances during Rookie contract and arguably best supporting cast we’ll probably be able to afford , why would we expect the opportunity to rise now once we pay our QB?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That’s the mark of greatness while not having his best game was still able to make the key plays when the game was on the line.

Some would call that Clutch. And he did it in every post season game overcoming deficits.

Truky remarkable. Fans really need to step back and separate their heart from the their mind putting aside personal preferences going in and marvel at what they watched unfold when a championship was at stake.