What is the plan to upgrade this roster?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here’s a couple of good links ranking Cowboys drafts the last 5 years. They have certainly been good. Just not the best.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/nfl-draft-teams-picks-draft-records-ranked-2012-present-030117

https://nypost.com/2017/04/22/studying-5-years-of-nfl-drafts-to-find-best-worst-teams-at-picking/

Both articles show Cowboys as being top 5. Which is great. I like what this team has done in drafts last 5 years. I just think it’s a stretch to say we are the BEST at drafting.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Having Pro bowlers is good. Having playoff wins is way better. Having All Pro players are also way better. Pro bowlers are misleading.

Whatever floats your boat. You wanted some proof of Dallas being at the top in terms of drafting. Guess you have very high standards on what that is.

Mobinvans

Reaction score
Dallas has had some good drafts

Too bad thats only 1/5th of the process

Dylan88Wilson

Reaction score
You first. You made the claim that we are “best”. Why is that true?
You said Dallas was top 12, so I just assumed you had teams in mind.
Jacksonville. My opinion. Year after year, they draft the players I covet. If they ever have a legit QB they will be scary.
Same here. I love the guys they pick. But if we’re grading on a curve, they were perinially in the top 5 and we were in the back half.

PhillySpecial

Reaction score
One of the curious aspects of this offseason so far is that it is not very clear what this FO’s strategy is to upgrade this roster in areas that were clearly problems last year. I’m sure it will be much clearer by late April.

I like the idea of not overpaying for high priced mediocre talent as many teams seem to have done this offseason. I like putting more emphasis on having a quality draft. But if there are no FAs signed that can help this team now, it puts enormous pressure on the draft having immediate impact. That’s not impossible, but it puts all eggs in one basket.

And I’m not saying yet that this front office is blowing it, I’m just curious what they seem to be counting on to upgrade this roster.

Thoughts?

It seems some teams are staying away from the 1st day or 2 of FA because of the high priced contracts. And are instead opting to give up a mid to low level draft pick for a vet on the last year or 2 of his contract. The original team is responsible for any proration of his signing bonus making it easy for the new team to move on from the player, either by cut or trade, if he isn't a fit. You could wind up with a good role player who helps your team now. If the player is on the right side of 30 years old, it also gives you a good look to see how he fits your scheme, locker room etc. and gives you first crack at his next contract. If he isn't a fit, it doesn't cost much to move on from the player..

Teams signing FAs to be starters are structuring their contracts in a way that doesn't throw a monkey wrench into their cap if they cut him after a year or two.

MojaveJT

Reaction score

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
We've gotten better drafting, but that's not saying a whole lot when we've had some pretty poor draft years.
You have to consider that it takes time for the results to surface and looking back using hindsight shows that it's always been a roller-coaster here.
2016-2017 was pretty solid and looks productive so far.
2015 wasn't anything remarkable. Jone in the 1st but then after that absolutely nothing. 1 player out of 8.
2014 - Martin and Law are great picks. But nothing after that.

You have to maintain the players you pick past the first two rounds to be great IMO

Dylan88Wilson

Reaction score
Here’s a couple of good links ranking Cowboys drafts the last 5 years. They have certainly been good. Just not the best.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/nfl-draft-teams-picks-draft-records-ranked-2012-present-030117

https://nypost.com/2017/04/22/studying-5-years-of-nfl-drafts-to-find-best-worst-teams-at-picking/

Both articles show Cowboys as being top 5. Which is great. I like what this team has done in drafts last 5 years. I just think it’s a stretch to say we are the BEST at drafting.
#4 in one of your links and #3 in the other. Then there’s the other link that was posted that says we’re #2 in Pro Bowlers. The argument can certainly be made that Dallas is the best. I’d like to see how we fair once we adjust for average draft position as well.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
One of the curious aspects of this offseason so far is that it is not very clear what this FO’s strategy is to upgrade this roster in areas that were clearly problems last year. I’m sure it will be much clearer by late April.

I like the idea of not overpaying for high priced mediocre talent as many teams seem to have done this offseason. I like putting more emphasis on having a quality draft. But if there are no FAs signed that can help this team now, it puts enormous pressure on the draft having immediate impact. That’s not impossible, but it puts all eggs in one basket.

And I’m not saying yet that this front office is blowing it, I’m just curious what they seem to be counting on to upgrade this roster.

Thoughts?
Plus holes in free agency so we don't feel we have to reach for any position. Then, to a degree, draft for ability agnostic of position.

This has been the MO for 5 years or so with some success (spare me the no super bowl wins argument please).

How people are still confused by the model the Cowboys are trying to institute is beyond me. They tell you exactly what their plan is. Then they've diligently gone out and tried to execute on it. Every offseason though there is the same complaints and misunderstandings and questions and disdain.

Blows my mind.

The organization isn't perfect. But their plan is pretty transparent.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Then don't have bust drafts like the '15 one. That's what really did it. They'd have 2-3 of those spots already filled this whole time. I don't care about your CAP situation,or good draft the following year...one busted draft hurts a franchise more than anything. Especially this one,where they live close to the edge. Tell you another thing that hurts...taking dumb picks like Taco in the 1st. If that's all there is,trade out and have a couple high picks for the following year and get the guys you want. They could be sitting there right now with a great position to deal from,instead of sitting in the lukewarm sweet spot of the pool.

Last edited:

blueblood70

Reaction score
did i miss something, does somebody here have INSIDE info? Been texting the Cowboys front office and no the true plan? all this is Rhetoric, it cant be answered , its wish list..anything they do or don't do seems to be wrong already and FA just started and draft is a month away.. lets just wait until june 2nd to see how all this really develops..an we not get into pre-SESON AND GAME ONE BEFORE ALL THE i TOLD YOU SOS POPPING UP AL OVER..DOOM AND GLOOM OH NO THE SKY IS FALLING..2014 AND 2016 WAS PREDICTED BY THESE BAORDS TO BE 6-10 FOR THE MAJORITY...KIND OF SURPRISED EVERYONE..

kskboys

Reaction score

Thoughts?
I think we're going to sign Nolan Carroll, Byron Bell, and Jordan Carrell.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We’re counting on having a solid draft in April and that the younger players we’ve already drafted like Byron Jones, Jaylon Smith, Chido and Lewis Jourdan take the next step.

Section446

Reaction score
I don't think that they're planning on upgrading the roster much. I think they're hoping that guys currently on the roster take the next step: Dak, Dez, Wilson, Collins, etc... We don't have a great history of developing players, so I'll hold my breath.

Aven8

Reaction score
The problem with the FA strategy is you just lost your MLB and with no one to replace him. So now you are forced to draft a MLB which is just a guess who will be there etc. Same goes for WR. You missed on Watkins so now you are forced to draft a WR. It's an awful strategy.

Section446

Reaction score
The problem with the FA strategy is you just lost your MLB and with no one to replace him. So now you are forced to draft a MLB which is just a guess who will be there etc. Same goes for WR. You missed on Watkins so now you are forced to draft a WR. It's an awful strategy.
Or, they think that Wilson is a good replacement.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
Oh course they have gotten better couldn’t get much worse than 08 and 09.

I think the plan is to throw darts at the board in April.