What is the plan to upgrade this roster?

RoboQB

Reaction score
I thought it was Jimmy that said we couldn't spell super bowl until we got Haley.

RT killed the 94 championship game. Erik Williams was out due to the car wreck. At some point LA was at RT but then got injured.

Healthy EW and the Cowboys likely win the Super Bowl that year.

Yep. It was Jimmy that said it. Later on, I believe Jerry said the same. I'm surprised kjj didn't know.
I mean, it's not "how but them Cowboys" level, but a well known quote for an average Cowboys fan
old enough to wipe his own but in the 90's.

RoboQB

Reaction score
If you have any quotes would love to see exactly what they said. I remember Jimmy saying Haley helped put the Cowboys over the top but don’t recall either him or Jerry saying definitely that we wouldn’t have won any of those SB’s without him. However Troy Aikman did say that but can’t post the link here. It’s a banned site.

Here's Jerry's quote. I'm pretty sure Jimmy said it first. Nate Newton also said Haley's presence wasn't measured in sacks, it was measured in Super Bowls.

IRVING (CBSDFW.COM) — Jerry Jones once said his Dallas Cowboys “wouldn’t have been able to spell ‘Super Bowl’’’ without having acquired pass-rusher Charles Haley.

Here's a quote from Jimmy. Not the one I was looking for but...

"The 49ers are [the] team of the 80s, the Cowboys the team of the 90s," Johnson said. "I think the swing of power came when we traded for Charles Haley. Charles Haley had a difficult time with the coaching staff there in San Francisco. They called me and said, 'Hey, would you be interested?' I said, 'Yes, I am interested,' and he gave us the pass rush that made us back-to-back Super Bowl winners." -from SportsDay

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
One of the curious aspects of this offseason so far is that it is not very clear what this FO’s strategy is to upgrade this roster in areas that were clearly problems last year. I’m sure it will be much clearer by late April.

I like the idea of not overpaying for high priced mediocre talent as many teams seem to have done this offseason. I like putting more emphasis on having a quality draft. But if there are no FAs signed that can help this team now, it puts enormous pressure on the draft having immediate impact. That’s not impossible, but it puts all eggs in one basket.

And I’m not saying yet that this front office is blowing it, I’m just curious what they seem to be counting on to upgrade this roster.

Thoughts?
I’d assume our FO believes we already have a playoff roster if they can keep their elite talent on the field.

I think they believe Elliotts suspension kept them out of the playoffs while Lee and Tyron’s injuries added to the struggles.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Well, for starters, the Jags went from 3-13 because of a new coaching staff AND they brought in a bunch of free agents, especially on defense - Campbell, Church, Bouye, etc. So Jacksonville would be an example of my point, not yours. They also traded for Dareus. They drafted a core of guys like Ramsey, etc. and then supplemented them with free agents/trade.

Secondly, I love when you guys talk about all these drafts picks we have as if each is equal in value. 7 our our 10 picks are in the 4th round or later. The likelihood of landing starters and key contributors with those later picks is often low. You guys act like we have 6 picks in the first two rounds.

In other words, it's unlikely this team will find a starting LG, a starting 1 Tech, a starting MLB, a starting S, a top 3 WR and possibly a high level swing tackle out of this draft, even with 10 picks. That also doesn't change the fact we probably need another edge rusher (we were middle of the pack in sacks and QB pressures last year) and if Gathers isn't ready, a legit #2 TE too.

Further, when you have that many needs, your draft board often then skews towards need over best player. That's why FA is important. You can fill a couple of needs that way and then it frees up the draft to take BPA and takes the pressure off of having to not only nail half your picks but also those picks have to be clear needs.

Yeah, everyone always mentally fills 4 holes with the first 4 draft picks and that is extremely unlikely. You won't build through the draft well if you don't draft well, develop raw talent well, and get real lucky occasionally. It's also easy to look brilliant at drafting if you pick a high percentage of OL in the first couple rounds compared to other teams. That is the easiest position group to hit on.

This data is a couple years old but compiles statistics over a 10 year span. The criteria is that a player must start in half the games of his career to be a "hit". Anything less is a "miss". There's no distinguishing between a future HoFer and a half-decent player.

1st Round - OL (83%) LB (70%) TE (67%) DB (64%) QB (63%) WR (58%) RB (58%) DL (58%)

2nd Round - OL (70%) LB (55%) TE (50%) WR (49%) DB (46%) QB (27%) DL (26%) RB (25%)

3rd Round - OL (40%) TE (39%) LB (34%) DL (27%) WR (25%) DB (24%) QB (17%) RB (16%)

4th Round - DL (37%) TE (33%) OL (29%) LB (16%) WR(12%) DB (11%) RB (11%) QB (8%)

5th Round - TE (32%) DB (17%) WR (16%) OL (16%) DL (13%) RB (9%) LB (4%) QB (0%)

6th Round - TE (26%) OL (16%) DL (13%) WR (9%) DB (8%) RB (6%) LB (5%) QB (0%)

7th Round - DB (11%) OL (9%) QB (6%) WR (5%) DL (3%) LB (2%) RB (0%) TE (0%)

*NOTE: When looking at these percentages keep in mind that Brandon Weeden would be considered a "hit" using this criteria and is in that 63% success rate for 1st round QBs.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Here's Jerry's quote. I'm pretty sure Jimmy said it first. Nate Newton also said Haley's presence wasn't measured in sacks, it was measured in Super Bowls.

IRVING (CBSDFW.COM) — Jerry Jones once said his Dallas Cowboys “wouldn’t have been able to spell ‘Super Bowl’’’ without having acquired pass-rusher Charles Haley.

Here's a quote from Jimmy. Not the one I was looking for but...

"The 49ers are [the] team of the 80s, the Cowboys the team of the 90s," Johnson said. "I think the swing of power came when we traded for Charles Haley. Charles Haley had a difficult time with the coaching staff there in San Francisco. They called me and said, 'Hey, would you be interested?' I said, 'Yes, I am interested,' and he gave us the pass rush that made us back-to-back Super Bowl winners." -from SportsDay

Saying we wouldn’t have been able to spell Super Bowl without Charles Haley is still a little different than saying we wouldn’t have been able to win any of those Super Bowls without him. Granted that may have been what he meant but it’s still not coming right out and definitively saying we couldn’t have one any of them without him. In 91 the Cowboys may have gone farther than they did had Troy Aikman not been injured.

They beat the 11-0 Commanders in Washington who went on to win the SB. Aikman was injured in that game. Steve Beuerlein played well leading the Cowboys to a playoff win over the Bears but had a rough go against the Lions. By the time Jimmy replaced him with Aikman it was too late.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Saying we wouldn’t have been able to spell Super Bowl without Charles Haley is still a little different than saying we wouldn’t have been able to win any of those Super Bowls without him. Granted that may have been what he meant but it’s still not coming right out and definitively saying we couldn’t have one any of them without him. In 91 the Cowboys may have gone farther than they did had Troy Aikman not been injured.

They beat the 11-0 Commanders in Washington who went on to win the SB. Aikman was injured in that game. Steve Beuerlein played well leading the Cowboys to a playoff win over the Bears but had a rough go against the Lions. By the time Jimmy replaced him with Aikman it was too late.

Actually, it is coming out and saying we couldn't win without a pass rusher. Enter Haley, and we win 3 of the next 4 SB's with him.
But I'm getting the feeling you just like to mince words. I mentioned the quote. You asked for proof. I gave it to you.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Actually, it is coming out and saying we couldn't win without a pass rusher. Enter Haley, and we win 3 of the next 4 SB's with him.
But I'm getting the feeling you just like to mince words. I mentioned the quote. You asked for proof. I gave it to you.

I asked for a quote where Jerry or Jimmy said we wouldn’t have one any of those Super Bowls without Charles Haley. You never provided that quote. If you take Emmitt off those teams we wouldn’t have one any of them. The same for Aikman and possibly Irvin but we could have added another pass rusher other than Haley and still won all those SB’s. Granted Haley was a great player but we had a lot of terrific defensive talent on that team and our offense had four HOF players on it once Larry Allen arrived. To say one defensive player made those teams a dynasty is going a bit far in my opinion. Bruce Smith was ranked well ahead of Charles Haley and he got neutalized by our great OL twice in two SB’s.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It seems like a very definitive statement to me.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
One of the curious aspects of this offseason so far is that it is not very clear what this FO’s strategy is to upgrade this roster in areas that were clearly problems last year. I’m sure it will be much clearer by late April.

I like the idea of not overpaying for high priced mediocre talent as many teams seem to have done this offseason. I like putting more emphasis on having a quality draft. But if there are no FAs signed that can help this team now, it puts enormous pressure on the draft having immediate impact. That’s not impossible, but it puts all eggs in one basket.

And I’m not saying yet that this front office is blowing it, I’m just curious what they seem to be counting on to upgrade this roster.

Thoughts?
We are upgrading with the draft..

pretty simple.

We have now lost more depth and a starter in Cooper.

This gets to the point where it looks like we are not playing for the here and now.

More like we are looking down the road a year or two.

All the players are going to be looking at Zeke's and DAKa deals coming.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It seems like a very definitive statement to me.

Not being able to spell Super Bowl doesn’t mean we wouldn’t have never been able to spell SB without him. It’s really short changing the great talent we had on those teams to say we couldn’t have won a single SB without Haley. There’s no way he was more valuable to those teams than Emmitt Smith. No one would have been putting Charles Haley on such a high pedestal if he hadn’t already won two Super Bowl’s with San Francisco. Once we started winning Super Bowl’s with him it made it appear as if you put him on any real good team and he’ll lead them to a championship.

What really turned the tide was him going from one great team, San Francisco to another great team the Cowboys. If Haley would’ve been traded to somewhere like Miami none of these statements would have been made in my opinion. People can speculate all they want what would’ve happened had we not got Charles Haley but speculation is all it is. Haley missed five games in 1993 and the Cowboys won all five games. Emmitt Smith missed the first two games of that season and we lost both games despite having Haley on the field.

RoboQB

Reaction score
I asked for a quote where Jerry or Jimmy said we wouldn’t have one any of those Super Bowls without Charles Haley. You never provided that quote. If you take Emmitt off those teams we wouldn’t have one any of them. The same for Aikman and possibly Irvin but we could have added another pass rusher other than Haley and still won all those SB’s. Granted Haley was a great player but we had a lot of terrific defensive talent on that team and our offense had four HOF players on it once Larry Allen arrived. To say one defensive player made those teams a dynasty is going a bit far in my opinion. Bruce Smith was ranked well ahead of Charles Haley and he got neutalized by our great OL twice in two SB’s.

I entered this fray by mentioning the quote that you had never heard or read before.
You have decided to dance around the fact that it was said.
If you don't like the quote, or the others I provided, take it up with Jerry Jones, Jimmy Johnson and Nate Newton.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I entered this fray by mentioning the quote that you had never heard or read before.
You have decided to dance around the fact that it was said.
If you don't like the quote, or the others I provided, take it up with Jerry Jones, Jimmy Johnson and Nate Newton.

You provided a different quote. I said I never heard a “quote” from Jerry or Jimmy saying the Cowboys wouldn’t have won any of their 3 Super Bowl’s without Charles Haley.

RoboQB

Reaction score
You provided a different quote. I said I never heard a “quote” from Jerry or Jimmy saying the Cowboys wouldn’t have won any of their 3 Super Bowl’s without Charles Haley.

I don't answer to you. As a courtesy, I gave several quotes, including the fairly well known one that
you never heard. It should've ended with you appreciating me educating you on some Cowboys history.
Instead you are losing the context entirely. What you should be doing is saying "thank you" and move
along your merry way.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I don't answer to you. As a courtesy, I gave several quotes, including the fairly well known one that
you never heard. It should've ended with you appreciating me educating you on some Cowboys history.
Instead you are losing the context entirely. What you should be doing is saying "thank you" and move
along your merry way.

You keep responding to me. The one I never heard is the one where Jimmy or Jerry is supposedly saying the Cowboys would have never won any of their three SBs without Haley. You claimed you were surprised I never heard that. I’ve heard the one about not being able to spell Super Bowl without Charles Haley. You and others can read whatever you want into that comment but I need something more definitive. We were 5-0 without Haley in 93. You’re the one who should be moving on because you’re the one who entered the fray.

bud914

Reaction score

Thoughts?
1afgb1.jpg

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
The plan is to tank 2018...ship out Red...and prepare for 2019. As a fan...I've already checked out. It's all about jokes and one liners for me in 2018.:flagwave:

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
only update is Rowdy will be getting a side kick, "pouty" ... he hollers, "how about them Cowboys,,, then starts crying".............

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The plan is to tank 2018...ship out Red...and prepare for 2019. As a fan...I've already checked out. It's all about jokes and one liners for me in 2018.:flagwave:
So what’s your best joke this year? We could use some humor around here. Lol.