What is the Problem with the Cowboys Defense?

rwalters31

Reaction score
The DL has some new parts and seems to be able to rush the passer against average OLs. Against the run, the DL is getting gashed and the LBers are not able to find or get to the RB. The Secondary has some good players but seem to be in the wrong place to make plays. I am of the opinion that the defense needs to have some new looks that offensive coaches have not seen to attack teams like the Packers. also, there needs to be a few player changes in the LBers and secondary. These are some stop gap measures until next year with a dedicated draft on defense and a new defensive scheme. With a record of somewhere between 5-11 and 9-7 we should get some help. Keep the existing defense and personnel alignment might get us a 4-12 record and a good pick.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Yes. The d is very likely outdated. Good qb’s and offensive coordinators know how to attack it. Today’s passing game has passed this D by.

Sydla

Reaction score
- Talent. They lack talent up the middle of the D. They have no real talent at the 1 tech. Smith is not ready to play MLB. Their safeties are blah. DE is looking decent, I guess and I actually have some hope with secondary because they now have some pieces if they move the right players around (Jones isn't a FS).

- Coaching. Marinelli's system is blah. He's also made questionable decisions in terms of his input on personnel. Riding Hayden too long. Wanting Carroll for two offseasons. He apparently was big on Taco (granted, way too early to write the kid off completely).

I have little doubt that barring a total collapse, Garrett is back next year. You just have to hope they at least bring in some new life for the defense with a new DC and some new pieces on defense.

lukin2006

Reaction score
My problem with the d is that we overhauled the secondary and this d is far, far worse than last year...at least last season they could stop the run and made teams 1 dimensional...now we can’t stop the run or pass...good job by the front office...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The DL has some new parts and seems to be able to rush the passer against average OLs. Against the run, the DL is getting gashed and the LBers are not able to find or get to the RB. The Secondary has some good players but seem to be in the wrong place to make plays. I am of the opinion that the defense needs to have some new looks that offensive coaches have not seen to attack teams like the Packers. also, there needs to be a few player changes in the LBers and secondary. These are some stop gap measures until next year with a dedicated draft on defense and a new defensive scheme. With a record of somewhere between 5-11 and 9-7 we should get some help. Keep the existing defense and personnel alignment might get us a 4-12 record and a good pick.

Is the Packers scheme also bad? I think the Cowboys punted once.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
A good defense is built strong from the inside out. We have neglected the DT and S position for years (Byron Jones is a CB disguised as a S). We also have a MLB suffering from palsy.

All of that is a recipe for failure.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
COACHING is the biggest problem. And over evaluation of their own players. Not putting them in the best situations to their strengths.
All which comes down to COACHING.

A lot of it is lack of talent and execution. Marinelli isn't the one out there blowing assignments and missing tackles.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
need better players and better coaches that would solve the problem and better people getting the better players like don't use a second round pick on a guy who cant play for two years and maybe never

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A good defense is built strong from the inside out. We have neglected the DT and S position for years (Byron Jones is a CB disguised as a S). We also have a MLB suffering from palsy.

All of that is a recipe for failure.

Yes, and like every sport, be it football, baseball, hockey, basketball, soccer....strength is up the middle. But this team does not seem to care about that.
Even beer drinking, it is about the middle, the gut is the strength....:laugh:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A lot of it is lack of talent and execution. Marinelli isn't the one out there blowing assignments and missing tackles.

Sounds like Parcells excuse after a loss. I agree it is also on the players, but is it not his job to put them in a position to succeed, to coach them to execute properly.
now the stupid penalties, is not on him

TheFinisher

Reaction score
Yes, and like every sport, be it football, baseball, hockey, basketball, soccer....strength is up the middle. But this team does not seem to care about that.
Even beer drinking, it is about the middle, the gut is the strength....:laugh:

Hahaha

Man it just blows my mind because it seems as if the FO has realized this on the offensive side of the ball, we invested heavily in the trenches and with our bellcow RB. Defense plays by the same rules, get stout in the tenches and have playmakers behind them that can run and hit.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
Sounds like Parcells excuse after a loss. I agree it is also on the players, but is it not his job to put them in a position to succeed, to coach them to execute properly.
now the stupid penalties, is not on him

The only thing I'd really critique Marinelli for is playing man coverage on that game winning Packers drive. The sideline is your enemy in that situation, we should have been playing a shell funneling passes to the middle of the field. How many times did they get out of bounds to stop the clock on that drive? 4 times at least? Maddening.

Staubacher

Reaction score
Is the Packers scheme also bad? I think the Cowboys punted once.

And they got a pick 6, I think they call it an interception? I don't know because they don't happen for Dallas. Former Dallas CBs have about 7 combined INTs this season though

Staubacher

Reaction score
The only thing I'd really critique Marinelli for is playing man coverage on that game winning Packers drive. The sideline is your enemy in that situation, we should have been playing a shell funneling passes to the middle of the field. How many times did they get out of bounds to stop the clock on that drive? 4 times at least? Maddening.

And not blanketing the end zone when GB has 16 seconds left and no timeouts. Any tackle in bounds and GB is hurrying to make a tying FG at best.

kevm3

Reaction score
You have inexperience or mediocrity at a lot of key positions. Byron jones is average. Heath is a backup. Brown is ok. Lewis is great but still a rookie. Jaylon Smith looks like he hasn't played in a year, which is true. Aside from Lawrence and Irving, the d line is nearly a no show.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Hahaha

Man it just blows my mind because it seems as if the FO has realized this on the offensive side of the ball, we invested heavily in the trenches and with our bellcow RB. Defense plays by the same rules, get stout in the tenches and have playmakers behind them that can run and hit.

Jerry is the keeper of the house. House rules are that there will be excitement and expectation of just that. That takes center stage, and not just a sense of tough play.

Jerry prefers smart play...alright, but a determined tough is developed, not left when all else has been experienced.

Staubacher

Reaction score
You have inexperience or mediocrity at a lot of key positions. Byron jones is average. Heath is a backup. Brown is ok. Lewis is great but still a rookie. Jaylon Smith looks like he hasn't played in a year, which is true. Aside from Lawrence and Irving, the d line is nearly a no show.

Brown has been really bad this season actually. Showed promise last year but has fallen back. And Lewis ain't great yet.