What is the Problem with the Cowboys Defense?

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
You're basically getting horrendous play out of your weakside DE, your starting 3-tech, your MIKE and your SS and in the last 2 games your WILL.

Good news is we get Lee back soon and I'm guessing Hitchens will eventually take over the MIKE. Heath wasn't bad against the Packers and at least we have Woods that can contend for that position if needed (although they're intent on Frazier being the backup).

But the issue is we don't have anybody at RDE that can play the run that well. And Mayowa is only effective when you cut down his snaps.

And in the end, it's a Marinelli issue. He doesn't have what it takes to vary the schematics and ole Jason Garrett supports this bland nonsense.

YR

Aven8

Reaction score
The middle of the defense is the problem on all 3 levels. DL, LB's, and Safety's. That's the problem.

strongarmqb

Reaction score
In this scheme- the DLine is asked to penetrate. Largely by passing responsibility for run defense. If your gonna play like that- the linebackers better be able to tackle. We are playing with a middle linebacker on one leg....sad
Playing bad coverages also doesn’t help

JeffInDC

Reaction score
As many have basically pointed out, Marinelli's version of the 4-3 DT Under/Over Scheme is dependent on almost having PERFECT talent along the DLine combined with a smart and physical Back 7. The Front 4 LITERALL needs to be as dominant versus the run as they are rushing the passer. The "perfect" front for this scheme would be 2 Muhammed Wilkerson/Leonard Williams-type DT's that are both STRONG run defenders as well as EXCELLENT interior pass-rushers. The closest DT/DE body the Cowboys have is David Irving. Maliek Collins, while built like a true 1T, is TERRIBLE versus the run - he gets pushed back way too often (he can't anchor even though he is wide/thick in his lower body). As for the DE, the scheme requires 2 Julius Peppers/Michael Bennett clones.

That's why I think they picked Taco over Watt - they envisioned him becoming a tandem with Irving at DE (2 larger DE's that would hopefully be able to handle both duties equally). So far,.......................:facepalm:.

ALBIT

Reaction score
Im not a defensive guru but one thing that is so obvious for the past almost 20 years is our DB's are the absolute worst playing the ball while in the air. The worst. I have never seen anyone have zero clue how to defend while the ball was in the air. Since Woodson retired we have not had a dominant safety. And pease dont say Roy Williams. He couldnt cover me. Sure he would knock my head off. Actually once Woodson had to retire it ruined Williams effectifness.

Staubacher

Reaction score
Broncos average 19 points a game against other opponents, scored 42 on us.
Rams 29 points a game vs other opponents, 35 on us.
Packers 26 points a game vs other opponents, 35 on us.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with that Defense. The problem is Marinelli still calling plays from the 90's. If the guy has an balls and changes the scheme to use some exotic blitzes, and scrap this soft zone crap of laying off of receivers by 15 yards and uses press coverage, this defense would greatly improve.

Last edited:

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Is the Packers scheme also bad? I think the Cowboys punted once.

It's very antiquated and they have the same issue we have on defense every year...injuries.

I don't think there is a Packers fan alive that is thrilled with Dom Capers and his scheme.

YR

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
It's both.

He's also not putting these players in position to succeed.

Exactly he can't keep using the players like he has been. The scheme is the problem, bend but don't break defenses suck. I love aggressive coordinators that challenge you and risk everything by saying beat me if you can.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly he can't keep using the players like he has been. The scheme is the problem, bend but don't break defenses suck. I love aggressive coordinators that challenge you and risk everything by saying beat me if you can.

If you have the time, watch the video of Rob Ryan on The Herd show. Say what you want about Ryan - you'd be right - but he's also right with the play calls and player breakdowns he points out.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Broncos average 19 points a game against other opponents, scored 42 on us.
Rams 29 points a game vs other opponents, 35 on us.
Packers 26 points a game vs other opponents, 35 on us.

I'm sensing a pattern here...

:rolleyes:

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
If you have the time, watch the video of Rob Ryan on The Herd show. Say what you want about Ryan - you'd be right - but he's also right with the play calls and player breakdowns he points out.

Thanks. I liked Ryan and least he wasn't afraid to try things.

Big D

Reaction score
I that think both the DLine and DB's are playing better than I had expected. I don't care too much for Heath but I don't see him as the biggest issue. The LBs, we have two incredible talents one made of glass the other on one leg and a guy.

Sydla

Reaction score
You're basically getting horrendous play out of your weakside DE, your starting 3-tech, your MIKE and your SS and in the last 2 games your WILL.

Good news is we get Lee back soon and I'm guessing Hitchens will eventually take over the MIKE. Heath wasn't bad against the Packers and at least we have Woods that can contend for that position if needed (although they're intent on Frazier being the backup).

But the issue is we don't have anybody at RDE that can play the run that well. And Mayowa is only effective when you cut down his snaps.

And in the end, it's a Marinelli issue. He doesn't have what it takes to vary the schematics and ole Jason Garrett supports this bland nonsense.

YR

You left out the 1 tech. It's not a prime position in this defense but at the very least, it has to hold up to allow teams to stop doubling the 3 tech. Our 1 techs are abysmal and not surprisingly, it's affecting Collins.

Sydla

Reaction score
I that think both the DLine and DB's are playing better than I had expected. I don't care too much for Heath but I don't see him as the biggest issue. The LBs, we have two incredible talents one made of glass the other on one leg and a guy.

Pass rush wise, the DL has been pretty decent.

But they are much worse stopping the run. Mayowa continues to run himself out of containment. The 1 techs are getting hammered.