What is the Problem with the Cowboys Defense?

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
You left out the 1 tech. It's not a prime position in this defense but at the very least, it has to hold up to allow teams to stop doubling the 3 tech. Our 1 techs are abysmal and not surprisingly, it's affecting Collins.

Collins affects himself.

I can see why he's enticing given his size, speed and power...but his footwork and his hand technique is dreadful. He gets killed on doubles and guards and centers with good technique easily get him off balance and force him to lose leverage.

YR

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's very antiquated and they have the same issue we have on defense every year...injuries.

I don't think there is a Packers fan alive that is thrilled with Dom Capers and his scheme.
Giants scheme?

How many teams have great defensive schemes?

Wade Phillips? He always seems to inherit some transcendent players and he does not last long anywhere.
YR

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
How many teams have great defensive schemes?

Wade Phillips? He always seems to inherit some transcendent players and he does not last long anywhere

Wade is one of the best X's and O's guys that there is. And he was great at adjusting to fit with what players he has.

I like a lot of the stuff that Matt Petricia does, particularly on 3rd down. But a lot of bracket coverage, interesting blitz packages to get pressure and understanding how to parse out those blitz looks thru an entire game.

Jim Schwartz's schematics are very tight.

Anyway, if I could pick a D-Coordinator that isn't a D-Coordinator in the league right now, I would either go with Michael Barrow or Scott Shaffer out of Middle Tennessee State.

YR

CCBoy

Reaction score
Wade is one of the best X's and O's guys that there is. And he was great at adjusting to fit with what players he has.

I like a lot of the stuff that Matt Petricia does, particularly on 3rd down. But a lot of bracket coverage, interesting blitz packages to get pressure and understanding how to parse out those blitz looks thru an entire game.

Jim Schwartz's schematics are very tight.

Anyway, if I could pick a D-Coordinator that isn't a D-Coordinator in the league right now, I would either go with Michael Barrow or Scott Shaffer out of Middle Tennessee State.

YR

Think a good coordinator stands by while business decisions turn plays and games?

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Poor schemes, poor technique, lack of speed, and lack of talent should do it for ya.

Our d has speed. It's the coaching and the gameplan that is the prob. And we can't get all our lbs/cb's healthy at the same time.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Our DB's play so far off the line, like they have no confidence or something?

aikemirv

Reaction score
I am not sure our pass defense is any worse than last year. Our run D is definitely worse especially without Lee but it was bad in the Denver game with Lee.

Wilcox and Church were both better safeties at defending the run than we have now.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I am not sure our pass defense is any worse than last year. Our run D is definitely worse especially without Lee but it was bad in the Denver game with Lee.

Wilcox and Church were both better safeties at defending the run than we have now.

Myself, I have to stand up for the group of 'rooks' that the Cowboys have. They will become something to respect.

waldoputty

Reaction score
The DL has some new parts and seems to be able to rush the passer against average OLs. Against the run, the DL is getting gashed and the LBers are not able to find or get to the RB. The Secondary has some good players but seem to be in the wrong place to make plays. I am of the opinion that the defense needs to have some new looks that offensive coaches have not seen to attack teams like the Packers. also, there needs to be a few player changes in the LBers and secondary. These are some stop gap measures until next year with a dedicated draft on defense and a new defensive scheme. With a record of somewhere between 5-11 and 9-7 we should get some help. Keep the existing defense and personnel alignment might get us a 4-12 record and a good pick.

yup, lack of star players and outdated scheme.
we keep losing and we get a top 10 or top 5 pick.
we are probably not firing marinelli or garrett during the season.
so unless there is a miracle, it will be a good draft.
round 1 and 2 should get us 2 players.
say 1 LB and 1 DL.
sign a proven S and we are good to go next year.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
I would have liked to have resigned Terrell McClain and Barry Church. I think those 2 would have helped the run defense enormously, along with a heathy Lee.

Alas, after all of our SB wins the last few years, we were unable to re-sign those 2 due to lack of cap room. This is some kind of FO we are stuck with.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Myself, I have to stand up for the group of 'rooks' that the Cowboys have. They will become something to respect.

Lewis and Awuzie have barely been on the field. I think they will develop to be better than what we had in Claiborne and Carr.

As I have said many times before, Heath is not a good safety. We should have at least held on to Church. He was a leader back there. I am not sure what Byron Jones is. Scandrick is only good in the slot if they don't catch him holding!

CCBoy

Reaction score
Lewis and Awuzie have barely been on the field. I think they will develop to be better than what we had in Claiborne and Carr.

As I have said many times before, Heath is not a good safety. We should have at least held on to Church. He was a leader back there. I am not sure what Byron Jones is. Scandrick is only good in the slot if they don't catch him holding!

Fare enough.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Basically everything. Very little talent, no depth, lots of inexperience, bad scheme.

Plankton

Reaction score
The Cowboys are poor up the middle on a defense that requires you to be good up the middle. They have glaring weaknesses at DT, MLB and S. Makes a defense much easier to attack when you have holes at all three levels.

CCBoy

Reaction score
37052.jpg

I know...I know...they aren't very good

Sydla

Reaction score
Collins affects himself.

I can see why he's enticing given his size, speed and power...but his footwork and his hand technique is dreadful. He gets killed on doubles and guards and centers with good technique easily get him off balance and force him to lose leverage.

YR

Doesn't change the fact the 1 techs on this team stink.