What Is The Real Plan With Lance?

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Who is they? It was Jerry by himself.

They? No other team organization was willing to give more than a conditional draft pick for Trey.

There is also most likely a reason Jerry did not ask for anyone's opinion and made this decision on his own. Because no one in the organization would have agreed with it.

There are JC QB's with more experience than Trey Lance.
I am not arguing the merits of the trade or saying Lance is a future star. Guy is an elite athlete that has played very little actual QB. Who knows with him? “They” refers to the Jones boys. Stevie has as much say in Dallas as anyone.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Kyle Shanny is a known QB developer. What info do you have that says we are better? All signs point toward the opposite being true.
So what happened to Garappolo and Lance then if he’s such a QB guru? And don’t pretend Purdy is an elite QB. Dude has an amazing gameplan and great players that fit that gameplan to help him succeed. You saw what happened mid season when those players got hurt. Now, Purdy does fit perfectly for what SF wants and needs from their QB, no question.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But that's the case for any running QB. They can always get hurt. But the bottom line is, you have to gameplan around your QB.
It's a case for any QB. Any player really...but QBs surely.

Joe Theisman a running QB? Dak isn;t really a running QB he was just moving the ball up.

Just a lot of stuff going on there. Bodies flying. I'd like to see the stat that "running" qb's get blasted and "killed" more than the others.

Not saying it ain't true. Its just my opinion almost ALL qb's get blasted, beat up, injured, etc.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Could have saved cap money this season if the plan was to extend him last year. How many times do veteran QBs go to the last year of a deal on multiple contracts? Dak played poorly last year in several big spots and has been hurt over the past few years. Jerry wasn’t going to hand him a new deal just because. Contract inflation for QBs is in full swing. Deals are getting more ridiculous every season. Jerry knows that. Why did they wait???

Please wake up.
Yes they could have saved money by extending him last year. Or the year before It's proved that's not what they do with him. They have had multiple chances over the years and they don't. By tagging him, look how much more it has cost them going clear back to his rookie deal when everyone knew it was stupid for them not to extend Dak.

The Cowboys like Dak. Like I said, going back to the off season we knew Dak was going to get an extension and not take the big cap hit next year. I don't know why the Cowboys wait. It started on his rookie deal when they could have signed him to $25M a year instead of $40M. It was dumb then and only continues to get dumber each year. We all know the cheapest time to extend a QB was yesterday not tomorrow.

I'm completely awake and paying attention. Are you?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is also most likely a reason Jerry did not ask for anyone's opinion and made this decision on his own. Because no one in the organization would have agreed with it.
We know Jerry talked about Lance before the trade. McCarthy even said they talked about him. When the opportunity came up, the Cowboys made the trade. Jerry might not have talked to anyone else the day of the trade, but it was previously discussed.

Chasing6

Reaction score
We know Jerry talked about Lance before the trade. McCarthy even said they talked about him. When the opportunity came up, the Cowboys made the trade. Jerry might not have talked to anyone else the day of the trade, but it was previously discussed.
Correct, but that is their job to do their research and discuss every potential draft pick. Drafting him in the 4th round and having 4 years to evaluate and develop is different than trading a 4th round pick and having basically less than 2 years to evaluate/develop him. Just because they had a 4th round grade on him, also does not mean they would have drafted him in the 4th round.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
The problem with Trey Lance right now is that he's not a pocket passer. Never has been. Not even in college. If the Cowboys design a gameplan around his strengths using a run heavy offense that includes the QB, that's the path to his success. Similar to what the Eagles did for Hurts. Also similar to what the Ravens did for Jackson in 2019. It can work. The 49ers never once tried this. They used him as a pocket passer. But I hope no one thinks Lance can come in and run the offense Dak runs. Cooper Rush is better suited for that.
He can throw from the pocket. And on the run.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yes they could have saved money by extending him last year. Or the year before It's proved that's not what they do with him. They have had multiple chances over the years and they don't. By tagging him, look how much more it has cost them going clear back to his rookie deal when everyone knew it was stupid for them not to extend Dak.

The Cowboys like Dak. Like I said, going back to the off season we knew Dak was going to get an extension and not take the big cap hit next year. I don't know why the Cowboys wait. It started on his rookie deal when they could have signed him to $25M a year instead of $40M. It was dumb then and only continues to get dumber each year. We all know the cheapest time to extend a QB was yesterday not tomorrow.

please only bash me!!

Canadian

Reaction score
Trey Lance: Watched all of college games , threw a good deep ball but his top receiver was Christian Watson.. He had one of the best ruNing back in college at any level, his back could play fullback or tight end if needed,could catch the ball and a good blocker his name is Hunter Leupke. Lance had a good offfense line, 4 of his line men start in the NFL so with all that talent he looked really good except of short pass that need touch. Strong arm and good runner. Good guy to develop .

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
The trade was worth it regardless. Since Lance was acquired Dak's play has improved drastically.

Flamma

Reaction score

Joe Theisman a running QB? Dak isn;t really a running QB he was just moving the ball up.

Just a lot of stuff going on there. Bodies flying. I'd like to see the stat that "running" qb's get blasted and "killed" more than the others.

Not saying it ain't true. Its just my opinion almost ALL qb's get blasted, beat up, injured, etc.
I was referring to the QBs that run by design. But you're right, any QB can get hit hard and hurt. I just think the added element of putting yourself out there to take hits gives you a better chance of getting injured.

kskboys

Reaction score
So what happened to Garappolo and Lance then if he’s such a QB guru? And don’t pretend Purdy is an elite QB. Dude has an amazing gameplan and great players that fit that gameplan to help him succeed. You saw what happened mid season when those players got hurt. Now, Purdy does fit perfectly for what SF wants and needs from their QB, no question.
Garappolo maxed out his talent. Lance never was any good.

I'm thinking you're not aware of what developing a player means. Some can be developed and some can't. No matter how good/bad a team is at developing a QB, you're not going to make filet mignon out of a turd.

Purdy has shown definite signs of being elite.

kskboys

Reaction score

They offered around 32-33 mil on a deal, and Dak accepted. And then renegged on it. So, no, it's not true they could've signed him for 25.

kskboys

Reaction score

Man, I'm not sure why you'd need a stat. It's very clear that QBs who run more get hurt more. Just common sense, really.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Garappolo maxed out his talent. Lance never was any good.

I'm thinking you're not aware of what developing a player means. Some can be developed and some can't. No matter how good/bad a team is at developing a QB, you're not going to make filet mignon out of a turd.

Purdy has shown definite signs of being elite.
Lance broke his leg.

their loss is our gain.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
Man, I'm not sure why you'd need a stat. It's very clear that QBs who run more get hurt more. Just common sense, really.
Running QBs do not get injured more often than pocket QBs. A running QB sees when he's going to get hit then he just slides. The pocket QB get hurts when a 280lbs lineman blind sides him and buries him into the ground.

vig454

Reaction score
You are looking at the future starting QB for the Dallas Cowboys. :welcome: