What Is The Real Plan With Lance?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Working for who? It may not be what you want, but their recent strategy of trying to be consistent every year is working. The Jone's run their team the way they want to. 2021 12-5, 2022, 12-5, and this year most likely 12-5, if not better. I think they would say that is working.

Cowboys being Americas Team, the most watched and most valued - pretty sure they view that as success. They are not interested in going all in, getting in cap hell and then having to rebuild anymore.
The Cowboys were the most popular team/ America’s team long before the jones family came along. To attribute that to Jerry is laughable.

Chasing6

Reaction score
The Cowboys were the most popular team/ America’s team long before the jones family came along. To attribute that to Jerry is laughable.
Not saying it is attributed to Jerry. Just saying as an owner there are more ways to measure success than just winning a SuperBowl.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
It is certainly a mystifying move to me. Giving up a 4th for someone who could not help the team now? And while Lance is certainly a raw talent, you can’t develop a guy like that very quickly without meaningful playing time.

And the team is about to extend Dak’s contract…I just don’t see a strategic advantage in this trade. Maybe it will make sense later. Meanwhile the team needed immediate help at several positions at the trade deadline and we did nothing. It looks more like JJ playing fantasy football than some kind of strategic move.
Dak wants more $$$.

Why not extend him today?

Not sure what the hold up is. (Actually, I do. They want to see if he can win in the playoffs.)

March will be here soon.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Developmental project - highly regarded coming out and he cost the Cowboys a FOURTH. It’s the QB position for crying out loud. If the kid shows a marked improvement heading into next season the Cowboys will look shrewd. He’s 23 YO, 6’-4”, 224 lbs. With QBs it all between the ears and that can take time to develop. Hope he shows us something.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
You can't tell me that the cowboys will be happy on draft weekend knowing they're missing a 4th round pick. Was there any plan when signing this kid, or was it just something to do? In my opinion I think in the off season they maybe re sign him, and let Rush go, then draft a developmental QB.

The kid has no chance of playing this season to be honest, it would be cool at times to maybe use him as a decoy in the offense, but who knows. I'm just a father of 5 who likes to know people's thoughts....
well who knows?? well jerry does , once you wade thru the umms and ahhs, relative to football !

Whyjerry

Reaction score
His play this year has nothing to do with getting an extension or not.

The decision on Dak getting an extension was made before the season started.

The only way he wasn't getting an extension is if Dak completely faltered this year and was so bad he got benched for Cooper.
You are so wrong.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
well who knows?? well jerry does , once you wade thru the umms and ahhs, relative to football !
Lol lol lol we have uhhhh hmmm trey you know he was a uhhhh hhhhhh mmmmm licks lips, high draft pick years ago (tells us something we already know!) Uhhh we really uuuuuuuuhhhhhhh think highly of him going forward

kskboys

Reaction score
Not at all, smart guy...he had injured periods and other people were rushed in. Do YOU remember a Troy Aikman start where he almost asked to be traded and Jerry brought in an offensive coordinator to save ship? Carry on leadership and training expert. You da' man!
SF worked their tails off to develop him. Known fact. He wasn't coming along and kept getting injured.

What are you proposing that we do that they didn't do?

kskboys

Reaction score
Can anyone stand up and compare projected value for the Giant's current QB Tommy DeVito and what the Cowboys have in Lance. Stick to talents and their proven abilities to date. Not popularity clouded with pessimism.
Late round pick for either.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Learn what? You think we're better at developing players than SF?
SF needed a starter now which thrust Lance into the starting role. Didn’t work too well plus the injury. Zero pressure for him to produce here in Dallas. And yes, Dallas is obviously better at developing QBs. So now what?

NumOneQB

Reaction score
They are? According to whom?
You asked me, so I told you. Dallas went from Romo to Dak. You’re looking at 2 decades of decent QB play in Dallas. San Fran couldn’t get beyond Garappolo’s below average play. Then Lance and the wasted pick now have a pretty good QB in Purdy. I guess one could argue Dallas just flat out got lucky….

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The Lance trade lit a fire under Dak's arse, and this is what competition does for a team. If I recall correctly, someone (Jerry or Stephen), mentioned one of the options involving Lance is to flip him for picks.

This could very well be what they do if the Playoff seed is locked in, but they always seem to play Dak for most of the game.
Trey Lance was never a threat to Dak. Lance was Jerry making a reactionary move to Dak's 15 picks last year and hoping to not have to pay Dak again.

Dak has made that trade useless. Trey Lance has proven nothing in the NFL and Jerry will pay Dak, again.

With any luck, Jerry will get a 6th round pick for Lance after giving up a 4th rounder to get him.

This is the kind of nonsense GMs do when they have no fear of getting fired. It's also why Dallas has won next to nothing for 28 years.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I'm ok with Jerry taking a flyer on the kid to see if McCarthy and staff could see anything in him, but honestly, I'm expecting nothing out of it. If he can't make it in a Shanahan offense, I'm pretty much leaning towards the kid being a bust. I don't wish the kid failure by any means, but I'm guessing he isn't going to be a starter in this league. Maybe he takes over for Rush next season?

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Well they would not have traded a 4 for Lance if they weren’t looking for insurance if Dak played poorly. Could have saved cap money this season if the plan was to extend him last year. How many times do veteran QBs go to the last year of a deal on multiple contracts? Dak played poorly last year in several big spots and has been hurt over the past few years. Jerry wasn’t going to hand him a new deal just because. Contract inflation for QBs is in full swing. Deals are getting more ridiculous every season. Jerry knows that. Why did they wait???

Please wake up.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
thanks for knowing everything, clearly you work for the eagles front office!!!
No, you just don't keep up with what the Cowboys have said their plans are. Keep up and you won't have to resort to friendly fire on your fellow Cowboys fans to make yourself feel tough.