What Is The Real Plan With Lance?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No, you just don't keep up with what the Cowboys have said their plans are. Keep up and you won't have to resort to friendly fire on your fellow Cowboys fans to make yourself feel tough.
You started it so you're the tough guy, i'm not like you and the others that are tough guys online!! Happy holidays!

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
You started it so you're the tough guy, i'm not like you and the others that are tough guys online!! Happy holidays!
All I did is inform you of the Cowboy's plan for Trey Lance. And once again you have resorted to friendly fire on a fellow Cowboys fan.

CCBoy

Reaction score
SF worked their tails off to develop him. Known fact. He wasn't coming along and kept getting injured.

What are you proposing that we do that they didn't do?
Worked their tail off...if you are tossing quarters at a curb.

Now, your words of deeds.

Attitude honcho...what were his strengths and with his injury history how exactly were they developed to succeed?

Most teams who spend for a very highly drafted player and paid dearly for that player with research on differentiating ability and execution. Who really thinks he was fly by night without much NFL enhancing abilities.

Put in and out around recoveries from injury during a period where rhythm and game conditions are required for team executions. San Francisco has always had a short lease as to giving the keys or taken away. That is life in San Francisco. Not a general pattern for quarterback successes.

How many top quarterbacks come from a Mr. Irrelevant? A hell of a gamble that paid off...here and now.
Late round pick for either.
?

Troy Aikman, required three years to hook up as well as an offensive coordinator brought in to design success around him.

Right now, he has to be valued on a scale much higher and walked the road with a long enough window of opportunity to be developed and skilled.

Replacing a career quarterback on a team such as Green Bay, and the eventual arrival of Tom Brady...took actual years. Don't rush to judgement on an evaluation and a player's development. How much did it take for arrival of Love? There is much longer time involved in development. Situations have to already be almost perfect for success of any first round selection and even there...continuity is needed for his success. Other wise, game conditions have to be gained either during season or the off season.

Karl Douglas was a black quarterback that played for Texas A&I down in Kingsville, Tx. He led the Javelinas to a NAIA National Championship. There were team biases back then. He played along with 9 players drafted by the NFL from that period and team, that played in Pro Bowls during their careers in the NFL.

He was drafted by the Baltimore Colts the year they moved on from Johnny Unitas and Earl Morrill. He was given the chance of two Exhibition games and released. Bias and no real chance to evolve to the NFL as it was then. He went immediately to the Canadian Football League.

Development is the element really being missed with Tray Lance...skill, or on field experiences developed?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Well they would not have traded a 4 for Lance if they weren’t looking for insurance if Dak played poorly. Could have saved cap money this season if the plan was to extend him last year. How many times do veteran QBs go to the last year of a deal on multiple contracts? Dak played poorly last year in several big spots and has been hurt over the past few years. Jerry wasn’t going to hand him a new deal just because. Contract inflation for QBs is in full swing. Deals are getting more ridiculous every season. Jerry knows that. Why did they wait???

Please wake up.
no, not at all...that is inserted by yourself.

Let's go, with you always possessing the true and on target view that has to be acknowledged.

Before I talk discussion, did you in fact beat Billie Jean King?

Jerry stated up front that he signed Lance because of player talent and to build up the positional group long termed....work ahead.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
SF worked their tails off to develop him. Known fact. He wasn't coming along and kept getting injured.

What are you proposing that we do that they didn't do?
He broke his ankle.

Serious injury. But it opened the door to Purdy.

Our benefit.

I dont care how he got here. Just glad he's our QB.

Flamma

Reaction score
The problem with Trey Lance right now is that he's not a pocket passer. Never has been. Not even in college. If the Cowboys design a gameplan around his strengths using a run heavy offense that includes the QB, that's the path to his success. Similar to what the Eagles did for Hurts. Also similar to what the Ravens did for Jackson in 2019. It can work. The 49ers never once tried this. They used him as a pocket passer. But I hope no one thinks Lance can come in and run the offense Dak runs. Cooper Rush is better suited for that.

kskboys

Reaction score
You asked me, so I told you. Dallas went from Romo to Dak. You’re looking at 2 decades of decent QB play in Dallas. San Fran couldn’t get beyond Garappolo’s below average play. Then Lance and the wasted pick now have a pretty good QB in Purdy. I guess one could argue Dallas just flat out got lucky….
Kyle Shanny is a known QB developer. What info do you have that says we are better? All signs point toward the opposite being true.

Robster8989

Reaction score
The problem with Trey Lance right now is that he's not a pocket passer. Never has been. Not even in college. If the Cowboys design a gameplan around his strengths using a run heavy offense that includes the QB, that's the path to his success. Similar to what the Eagles did for Hurts. Also similar to what the Ravens did for Jackson in 2019. It can work. The 49ers never once tried this. They used him as a pocket passer. But I hope no one thinks Lance can come in and run the offense Dak runs. Cooper Rush is better suited for that.
Great Post that sums up this now 14 page thread.
My question when we traded for him is when is he going to get playing time?
If the team is a playoff team (and they are), you have Dak and Rush as the backup.
If we were a poor team, and you were willing to start over, then Lance was a good risk.
I fear we will miss that 4th rounder come draft day, and as you say, is Dak goes down, Rush is the guy to keep the wheels on the track.
Lance will take a wholesale change in philospophy, a la Philly or Baltimore, and I don't see that happening for this team.
Personally, I'd rather have the 4th rounder, for this team at least.

kskboys

Reaction score
Trey Lance was never a threat to Dak. Lance was Jerry making a reactionary move to Dak's 15 picks last year and hoping to not have to pay Dak again.

Da/k has made that trade useless. Trey Lance has proven nothing in the NFL and Jerry will pay Dak, again.

With any luck, Jerry will get a 6th round pick for Lance after giving up a 4th rounder to get him.

This is the kind of nonsense GMs do when they have no fear of getting fired. It's also why Dallas has won next to nothing for 28 years.
Well done.

Trey Lance was going to be cut. Expounding a bit, I believe this is yet another situation where Jerry fell for other teams pretending a player's value is high/well regarded when that is not necessarily the case. Jerry fell for it w/ Jaylon, Dez, MO, no reason to believe it's not happening again. I'm not even sure DLaw was going to go before we traded up for him. I didn't see anything claiming he was that well regarded predraft.

kskboys

Reaction score
And here's the problem w/ that: Trey Lance, while athletic, is not elusive. Not in the least. Which means if he runs the O you're suggesting, he will get hurt. Badly and often. His pro comparison predraft was Cam Newton, who was also not elusive. Made for a very short career, as Cam was really only good for maybe 2 years.

kskboys

Reaction score
Worked their tail off...if you are tossing quarters at a curb.

Now, your words of deeds.

Attitude honcho...what were his strengths and with his injury history how exactly were they developed to succeed?

Most teams who spend for a very highly drafted player and paid dearly for that player with research on differentiating ability and execution. Who really thinks he was fly by night without much NFL enhancing abilities.

Put in and out around recoveries from injury during a period where rhythm and game conditions are required for team executions. San Francisco has always had a short lease as to giving the keys or taken away. That is life in San Francisco. Not a general pattern for quarterback successes.

How many top quarterbacks come from a Mr. Irrelevant? A hell of a gamble that paid off...here and now.

?

Troy Aikman, required three years to hook up as well as an offensive coordinator brought in to design success around him.

Right now, he has to be valued on a scale much higher and walked the road with a long enough window of opportunity to be developed and skilled.

Replacing a career quarterback on a team such as Green Bay, and the eventual arrival of Tom Brady...took actual years. Don't rush to judgement on an evaluation and a player's development. How much did it take for arrival of Love? There is much longer time involved in development. Situations have to already be almost perfect for success of any first round selection and even there...continuity is needed for his success. Other wise, game conditions have to be gained either during season or the off season.

Karl Douglas was a black quarterback that played for Texas A&I down in Kingsville, Tx. He led the Javelinas to a NAIA National Championship. There were team biases back then. He played along with 9 players drafted by the NFL from that period and team, that played in Pro Bowls during their careers in the NFL.

He was drafted by the Baltimore Colts the year they moved on from Johnny Unitas and Earl Morrill. He was given the chance of two Exhibition games and released. Bias and no real chance to evolve to the NFL as it was then. He went immediately to the Canadian Football League.

Development is the element really being missed with Tray Lance...skill, or on field experiences developed?
All of this instead of understanding that Kyle Shanny is a QB guru. Dude is one of the best at developing QBs in the NFL. Why not just admit you didn't know?

Flamma

Reaction score
Great Post that sums up this now 14 page thread.
My question when we traded for him is when is he going to get playing time?
If the team is a playoff team (and they are), you have Dak and Rush as the backup.
If we were a poor team, and you were willing to start over, then Lance was a good risk.
I fear we will miss that 4th rounder come draft day, and as you say, is Dak goes down, Rush is the guy to keep the wheels on the track.
Lance will take a wholesale change in philospophy, a la Philly or Baltimore, and I don't see that happening for this team.
Personally, I'd rather have the 4th rounder, for this team at least.
To be honest, I just don't think they cared about the 4th round pick. It's like buying a stock really low and hoping it turns out good. I think it can be as simple as that.

Flamma

Reaction score
And here's the problem w/ that: Trey Lance, while athletic, is not elusive. Not in the least. Which means if he runs the O you're suggesting, he will get hurt. Badly and often. His pro comparison predraft was Cam Newton, who was also not elusive. Made for a very short career, as Cam was really only good for maybe 2 years.
But that's the case for any running QB. They can always get hurt. But the bottom line is, you have to gameplan around your QB.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Well they would not have traded a 4 for Lance if they weren’t looking for insurance if Dak played poorly. Could have saved cap money this season if the plan was to extend him last year. How many times do veteran QBs go to the last year of a deal on multiple contracts? Dak played poorly last year in several big spots and has been hurt over the past few years. Jerry wasn’t going to hand him a new deal just because. Contract inflation for QBs is in full swing. Deals are getting more ridiculous every season. Jerry knows that. Why did they wait???

Please wake up.
Who is they? It was Jerry by himself.

They? No other team organization was willing to give more than a conditional draft pick for Trey.

There is also most likely a reason Jerry did not ask for anyone's opinion and made this decision on his own. Because no one in the organization would have agreed with it.

There are JC QB's with more experience than Trey Lance.

kskboys

Reaction score
But that's the case for any running QB. They can always get hurt. But the bottom line is, you have to gameplan around your QB.
Yes, but the crash test dummies like Trey Lance and Cam Newton don't last long at all. The NFL will hurt you if you challenge them.

kskboys

Reaction score

They? No other team organization was willing to give more than a conditional draft pick for Trey.

There is also most likely a reason Jerry did not ask for anyone's opinion and made this decision on his own. Because no one in the organization would have agreed with it.

Who are better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flamma

Reaction score
Yes, but the crash test dummies like Trey Lance and Cam Newton don't last long at all. The NFL will hurt you if you challenge them.
But Hurts and Jackson had success. No super bowls, but success none the less. At least regular season dominance. Don't get me wrong, I hate that gameplan. But if you can go injury free, you got a shot.

CCBoy

Reaction score

No, this is not Mother May I....