What Is The Real Plan With Lance?

LovinItAll

Reaction score
You can't tell me that the cowboys will be happy on draft weekend knowing they're missing a 4th round pick. Was there any plan when signing this kid, or was it just something to do? In my opinion I think in the off season they maybe re sign him, and let Rush go, then draft a developmental QB.

The kid has no chance of playing this season to be honest, it would be cool at times to maybe use him as a decoy in the offense, but who knows. I'm just a father of 5 who likes to know people's thoughts....
It’ll get out ‘how much he’s improved since joining us’ and we’ll get a third round pick for him. Draft fodder only.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
My thinking is... you don't get rid of a QB with the experience that Dak has learned for the past 8 years. Not with how the team is coming together as of now. There have been other QB's that took a long time to win the SB and Dak is still relatively young.

Would we all like to get to a SB? Of course...even the "haters". lol

I at least hope that JJ does the right thing after Dak gets an extension...start planning for his next contract and start drafting QB's instead of TE's all the time. It's not my team, but if I could this coming draft I would select a QB first round no matter the teams needs to plan for the next QB, then let the chip fall where they may because Dak is not going to be on the team forever.
I agree with you. I hope we start drafting QBs too.

One of the biggest problem this franchise has imo is that it does not invest in the most important position: QB. We just dont draft them enough. And when we daft them than with way to low picks. We have to invest at least a 2nd every third year.

Flamma

Reaction score
Then why havent they extended his deal already?

Hes due 60 million in 2024.
Because Dallas doesn't typically extend players with two years left on their contract unless a 5th year option is involved. The fact that they restructured Dak last year should tell you two things.

1. They weren't going to extend him last year.
2. They planned on extending him the following year.

Otherwise restructuring him last year makes no sense.

His cap hit is 60M in 2024. An extension will lower that cap hit to somewhere in the mid 20s.

Kwyn

Reaction score
I'm betting against any extension for Dak.

2024 cap is already jacked up.

Why pay Dak when you have Lance ready to take over?
All three of your points will be proven wrong.

Fizziksman

BanditHiro
Reaction score
back up with the possibility of trading him for a pick higher than we traded

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I'm betting against any extension for Dak.

2024 cap is already jacked up.

Why pay Dak when you have Lance ready to take over?
I hope you’re not a betting man. Lol He will be extended and that’s a sure bet. You actually think Trey Lance is ready to take over? :laugh: It’s obvious some of you don’t care about winning.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think he was a hedge based on how Dak performed without KM.

Had he faltered or not performed to the level justifying his contract we'd have considered giving Lance an opportunity.

The season still needs to play out but it seems a foregone conclusion Dak is extended now.

So the plan I suppose is to continue grooming him and have him take over when Daks time concludes. Romo probably made them think that way as his body fell apart. That or use him as a trade chip.

Obviously I'm just speculating. Fwiw
That may be a long long time

Reactions: CWR

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
I doubt there was a plan per se. The Cowboys just finally started doing what other teams do: draft a potential starter (except the team made a trade) as an insurance policy for the current one and if it turns out to that he is unnecessary, cut him, have him play backup, or trade him for picks later.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Finish the season. See where the team stands and go from there.

I guess it is fun to speculate and discuss. The team has some number crunching to do.

Many other considerations that come into play.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You can't tell me that the cowboys will be happy on draft weekend knowing they're missing a 4th round pick. Was there any plan when signing this kid, or was it just something to do? In my opinion I think in the off season they maybe re sign him, and let Rush go, then draft a developmental QB.

The kid has no chance of playing this season to be honest, it would be cool at times to maybe use him as a decoy in the offense, but who knows. I'm just a father of 5 who likes to know people's thoughts....
Kinda feel bad for those 5! Lol

TheCritic

Reaction score
A lot of short-sighted thinking going on this thread. First of all, look at how many teams out there right now who would gladly give up a 4th for Trey Lance. No matter how set or invested any team is with their starting QB, they are always one QB injury away from wrecking their entire season. If you have the opportunity to develop a QB that has good upside and can do it while paying top 5 QB money for your starter, you take that deal. Cooper Rush doesn't have the tools to be a long term solution should Dak get injured. To think otherwise is just stupid.

Big D

Reaction score
Hopefully he's picking up what Dak's putting down.

plasticman

Reaction score
Don't forget the baby effect. The man has to provide a little one.
That's right!

Sometimes the difference in the success or the failure of a team is what motivates each individual player. What inspires them, propels them to push themselves to being an elite athlete with the competitive drive to win.

Quarterbacks especially, when they are draft prospects visiting NFL teams, it's not exactly a Disney tour. They are subjected to a vry intense interview process. These franchises are thinking about the potential multi-million-dollar investment they could be making.

All criticism aside, I remember a video of Jason Garrett describing his interview with Dak Prescott and how intense it was. The vido also includes Jerry jones describing Dak that day he was drafted.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys traded for him. He wasn't a FA they could sign. He is a developmental QB. This year is about learning. Next summer we will see how he looks and plays. Until then, we wait. The Cowboys knew when they traded for him he wasn't going to play this year unless Dak and Rush both went down.

He is still on his rookie deal so he won't need to be re-signed this off season. Since they already used a 4th round pick to get him, it's unlikely the Cowboys draft another QB next April. It's hard to see 2 draft picks dedicated to developmental type QB's.
Why wouldn;t we know "how he looks" now?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I think he was a hedge based on how Dak performed without KM.

Had he faltered or not performed to the level justifying his contract we'd have considered giving Lance an opportunity.

The season still needs to play out but it seems a foregone conclusion Dak is extended now.

So the plan I suppose is to continue grooming him and have him take over when Daks time concludes. Romo probably made them think that way as his body fell apart. That or use him as a trade chip.

Obviously I'm just speculating. Fwiw
Lance was looked at as another option if Dak continued to regress. Dak’s time here won’t be concluding anytime in the near future. He’s looking at a big extension. The Cowboys will develop Lance in hopes he can take over the backup job. They’ll probably look to trade him at some point. A team may lose their starter and get desperate, and if Lance puts up some good preseason tape, they might make a move.

CWR

Reaction score
Lance was looked at as another option if Dak continued to regress. Dak’s time here won’t be concluding anytime in the near future. He’s looking at a big extension. The Cowboys will develop Lance in hopes he can take over the backup job. They’ll probably look to trade him at some point. A team may lose their starter and get desperate, and if Lance puts up some good preseason tape, they might make a move.
Yeah thats what I was trying to say. I know they didn't trade a 4th for a back up. He was there as a hedge and worst case scenario he can back up and develop then be flipped for a pick.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Jerry trades a 4th round pick for Lance and Dak suddenly becomes a leading MVP candidate.

Maybe Jerry has been the smartest man in the room all along. :eek: