What is the real reason for trading Amari Cooper?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
that’s a fair point. However, in 2 of the games Dak played, he threw for 134 yards and 207 yards. Let’s go ahead and assume those 2 low production games were Cooper Rush fault too just for fun

and since we’re putting all the blame on Cooper Rush, last year Dak had more game with under 300 than games over 300.

10 games were under 300 and some of them were the same numbers Cooper Rush put up. 188, 238, 237, 232, 216, 211, 216, etc etc. are just some examples of his pedestrian numbers last season

Those numbers from last season look pretty Cooper Rushesque to me. Maybe the passing offense wasn’t really as explosive and high powered as some would care to remember
11-5

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Amari Cooper is clearly a talented NFL wide receiver. He has size, speed, and superior route running ability. So why have both the Raiders and the Cowboys cut ties with him after 3-1/2 seasons in each location?

The missed trade for Brandon Cooks, and the potential signing of Odell Beckham, Jr. means that it wasn’t money that drove the decision to part with Cooper. Both players will command salaries similar to Cooper.

From the outside looking in, it appears that Amari has always been the consummate professional in how he handles himself with fans and the media. So it is a bit baffling that he has only had a shelf life of about 42 months in each location prior to being traded a second time to the Browns for only a 5th round pick.

The reality is that although offensive production is down in Dallas this year, we don’t know how much of that to attribute to the loss of Cooper. The injury to Dak, and the renewed commitment to running the football have also contributed to the lower overall production through the first 8 games.

Frankly, I’m left wondering what it is about Cooper that we don’t know.
The real reason. He just wasn’t producing here. He was a great route runner but he didn’t know how to variate from it

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Amari Cooper is clearly a talented NFL wide receiver. He has size, speed, and superior route running ability. So why have both the Raiders and the Cowboys cut ties with him after 3-1/2 seasons in each location?

The missed trade for Brandon Cooks, and the potential signing of Odell Beckham, Jr. means that it wasn’t money that drove the decision to part with Cooper. Both players will command salaries similar to Cooper.

From the outside looking in, it appears that Amari has always been the consummate professional in how he handles himself with fans and the media. So it is a bit baffling that he has only had a shelf life of about 42 months in each location prior to being traded a second time to the Browns for only a 5th round pick.

The reality is that although offensive production is down in Dallas this year, we don’t know how much of that to attribute to the loss of Cooper. The injury to Dak, and the renewed commitment to running the football have also contributed to the lower overall production through the first 8 games.

What do you not know? You've seen his production in Cleveland. That added production in Dallas this year could have led the Cowboys to be undefeated and the Eagles to one loss.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
He missed two games because he was sick and appears to be limited after that. He obviously wasn't feeling well enough against the Saints -- he took limited snaps.

This seems pretty simple to me. If a player making 20 mill a year won't do everything that he can to keep himself on the field, he doesn't deserve a spot on the team. That's 2.35 mill in salary that he got for putting himself in a more vulnerable position with his choices. That's not a team player.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Be nice to have a WR show some fire. I don’t expect Michael Irvin out there, but with Cooper it always seemed like he’d rather be somewhere else! I don’t think it’s any one thing, it’s a combination of things that drove the team to move on.

But many said the exact opposite when it was Dez showing fire. And not 1 time was it Dez saying the QB sucks or OC sucks, he was just too loud for some people's liking. Its like having a firey head coach, its a nice change from the wade Phillips but then after a while people ant the wade phillips again. Remember Cooper had to beg Dak to change the play and while it worked Dak didn't feel comfortable doing it. He's a yes man, he gets the 2 plays and does as instructed
that’s a fair point. However, in 2 of the games Dak played, he threw for 134 yards and 207 yards. Let’s go ahead and assume those 2 low production games were Cooper Rush fault too just for fun

and since we’re putting all the blame on Cooper Rush, last year Dak had more game with under 300 than games over 300.

10 games were under 300 and some of them were the same numbers Cooper Rush put up. 188, 238, 237, 232, 216, 211, 216, etc etc. are just some examples of his pedestrian numbers last season

Those numbers from last season look pretty Cooper Rushesque to me. Maybe the passing offense wasn’t really as explosive and high powered as some would care to remember

You are wasting your energy. You are talking to guys who see halo's around daks head. in reality its just when they look up at dak from down below and not realize there is an overhead light behind daks head.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
From everything I read it was about the money. Yea, they were disappointed in his performance in playoffs and down the stretch . Sometimes his performances was lack luster.

But at the time they were like 20 million over the Cap. And if they hadn’t lost Gregory to Denver who they were intending on resigning wouldn’t have had as much Cap space left.

They knew they had Shultz coming up on contract which they ended up Franchising and Gallups contracts to negotiate . And with Lamb looking to become #1 receiver simply felt they had enough at the WR position invested.

Last edited:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Oh, I heard about the black Cousins issue but this was the reason for my response ...........

less than 2 weeks after that he was traded.....in other words, Dak's ego got bruised and so Jerry had to ship Cooper out.

Something I'm not sure many fans noticed but he was extended only two years ( by his own request ). Yes, it was a 5-year deal but there was an out after only two years.

$40M guaranteed at signing (signing bonus + 2020 salary + 2021 salary) 2022 salary fully guarantees on 3/20/2022 (injury guaranteed now) 2022 converted $18.88M to signing bonus, added two void years.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

Locker Room.
Coop didn't like who he was playing with, he never was happy with the Raiders either, maybe he becomes comfortable in Cleveland.
Coop wants an elite QB tossing him the rock, and holding a grudge now because he never will have one.

Flamma

Reaction score

People are making too much of this. IMO money was the major reason in both cases. The Raiders were in a rebuild and simply didn't want to pay him. Just like they didn't want to pay Mack. The failed trade for Cooks was probably about the money. And unless Jerry is smoking crack, there's no way he's paying OBJ anything close to what Cooper was making. But all this being about money is a non story. People have to think of something more interesting.

Praxit

Reaction score
..when Noah Brown has good game, thats main reason he was jettison. ;)..

Reaction score
Look at Cooper's stats this year then look at Ceedee's...

I took a quick look, only counting the games Dak was QB, and they're surprisingly similar. Aprroximately 70yds a game and 1 TD every other game. Tiny sample size for CeeDee of course, but still,,,

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
I think it was clear that his anti-vaxx status and subsequent positive test that forced him to miss 2 games gave Jerry the scapegoat he was looking for for the late season flameout. Add in the chance to save some $$ and off he went for absolutely nothing. The worst move I can ever recall.
Jerry is lucky that Amari is a quiet reserved guy because that could’ve really blew up in his face if Amari made it a big deal.

Jumbo075

Reaction score

No one is "blaming" Cooper Rush. He did an admirable job filling in for Dak. But he's just not going to consistently throw for as many yards as Dak.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
we're 6-2 the browns have a worse record

i wish we had Amari but its time to let this go

I'm not obsessing about Amari Cooper. It's just that I accepted the "money" reason given at face value - especially with future contracts that must be paid to defensive stars.

And now it seems the Cowboys are more than willing to spend the money for a wide receiver, so it undermines the whole excuse given for getting rid of Amari. Given this seemingly new found willingness to pay for a different top receiver, it simply surprises and confuses me. If you were willing to pay all along, then why dump Amari? It seems there must be more to the story.

If the Cowboys think signing Beckham will get them to the Super Bowl, and they end up doing so, I won't complain. But the cover story given for getting rid of Amari just simply doesn't add up now.

shabazz

Reaction score
But many said the exact opposite when it was Dez showing fire. And not 1 time was it Dez saying the QB sucks or OC sucks, he was just too loud for some people's liking. Its like having a firey head coach, its a nice change from the wade Phillips but then after a while people ant the wade phillips again. Remember Cooper had to beg Dak to change the play and while it worked Dak didn't feel comfortable doing it. He's a yes man, he gets the 2 plays and does as instructed

You are wasting your energy. You are talking to guys who see halo's around daks head. in reality its just when they look up at dak from down below and not realize there is an overhead light behind daks head.

The funny part is that I too actually thought that our pass offense was this high octane juggernaut. After looking up the passing yards last year I was shocked to see how many low to mid 200 yard passing games there were.