What is the real reason for trading Amari Cooper?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know why there's a certain part of this fanbase that every time we let a guy go for the better they always have to be the ones to remind us that we screwed up.

“I don’t know why there’s a certain part of this fan base that every time we let a guy go” they feel the need to cut him down, minimize him, and try to paint the picture that they’re a lesser player because they’re no longer here.

Now y'all complain that we need another receiver and we should've never got rid of Coop..yet Lamb has replaced him at a cheaper cost.

While the Cowboys’ own actions prove us right.

If Cooper was adequately “replaced “, why were the Cowboys trying to trade for Cooks?

If Cooper was adequately “replaced”, why are they talking about signing Odell Beckham?

None of your claims line up with reality.

coult44

Reaction score
Amari Cooper is clearly a talented NFL wide receiver. He has size, speed, and superior route running ability. So why have both the Raiders and the Cowboys cut ties with him after 3-1/2 seasons in each location?

The missed trade for Brandon Cooks, and the potential signing of Odell Beckham, Jr. means that it wasn’t money that drove the decision to part with Cooper. Both players will command salaries similar to Cooper.

From the outside looking in, it appears that Amari has always been the consummate professional in how he handles himself with fans and the media. So it is a bit baffling that he has only had a shelf life of about 42 months in each location prior to being traded a second time to the Browns for only a 5th round pick.

The reality is that although offensive production is down in Dallas this year, we don’t know how much of that to attribute to the loss of Cooper. The injury to Dak, and the renewed commitment to running the football have also contributed to the lower overall production through the first 8 games.

Frankly, I’m left wondering what it is about Cooper that we don’t know.

It’s been well documented that he refused to practice and the FO hated that. It’s the number one reason he’s gone. The second Is the whole Covid shot thing. They hated that also.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
“I don’t know why there’s a certain part of this fan base that every time we let a guy go” they feel the need to cut him down, minimize him, and try to paint the picture that they’re a lesser player because they’re no longer here.

If Cooper was adequately “replaced “, why were the Cowboys trying to trade for Cooks?

If Cooper was adequately “replaced”, why are they talking about signing Odell Beckham?

I never said he was adequately replaced. I’m just going with results. Through 8 games they are 6-2. You can’t have it both ways. You can’t say you are glad they got rid of Collins and Gregory but cry about Cooper. They got rid of all them for the same reason.

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
in February, it was declared that they were giving Dak more input on personnel.

rambo2

Reaction score

They are making the team better. Is there something wrong with making the team better?

rambo2

Reaction score
It’s been well documented that he refused to practice and the FO hated that. It’s the number one reason he’s gone. The second Is the whole Covid shot thing. They hated that also.
Stash will tell you that that never happened. Even though it is well documented.

rambo2

Reaction score
You can try to push that false narrative as many times as you want and it still doesn’t make it true.

Any excuse to help you feel better. Other than the truth.
:facepalm:
So the actual game footage is false. I guess that you believe that the moon landing was fake.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Amari Cooper is clearly a talented NFL wide receiver. He has size, speed, and superior route running ability. So why have both the Raiders and the Cowboys cut ties with him after 3-1/2 seasons in each location?

From the outside looking in, it appears that Amari has always been the consummate professional in how he handles himself with fans and the media. So it is a bit baffling that he has only had a shelf life of about 42 months in each location prior to being traded a second time to the Browns for only a 5th round pick.

The reality is that although offensive production is down in Dallas this year, we don’t know how much of that to attribute to the loss of Cooper. The injury to Dak, and the renewed commitment to running the football have also contributed to the lower overall production through the first 8 games.

Frankly, I’m left wondering what it is about Cooper

that we don’tIn in know.

The missed trade for Brandon Cooks, and the potential signing of Odell Beckham, Jr. means that it wasn’t money that drove the decision to part with Cooper. Both players will command salaries similar to Cooper.

Front office was upset he missed games

When he was not vaxxed.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I don't know why there's a certain part of this fanbase that every time we let a guy go for the better they always have to be the ones to remind us that we screwed up. Now y'all complain that we need another receiver and we should've never got rid of Coop..yet Lamb has replaced him at a cheaper cost.

I loved Coop here. But I also admit that I put up with his crap play on the road and big games. I was willing to live with it because it wasn't my money. But I certainly can understand the Jones boys looking at Coop and feeling like they could use that money elsewhere.

I'm really shocked we have people crying about that.

For years we complain we hang on to guys to long....they get rid of Collins and don't miss a beat. Get rid of Gregory and don't miss a beat. Get rid of Coop and honestly they don't miss a beat. You guys pick and chose when you want to trust this organization and their roster choices.
It is more the fact the Cowboys FO often make emotional move or non-moves, Dez got Chirpy and all of asudden he was a cap casualty after signing a new deal 2 years earlier, was it warranted maybe, probably, but the staff, FO and QB put out a narrative that the NFL teams do not need #1 WR, well until they do and they trade for Cooper. Fans here used the reasoning that Dez was too diva-ish and production and dollars did not line up all of which can be true. Fast forward 3 years and almost the same thing to the T happens, get rid of Chirpy WR, reasoning dollars do not match up to production, fans well it was COVID, it was the disappearing acts, he did not show enough EMOTION. I have said this since they let Cooper go, all the WR in Dallas have a tendency to disappear for long stretches, Cooper, Gallup, Lamb sometimes all 3 seem to be on the same vacation. That is not a WR problem that is another problem, the talent at WR in Dallas last year was good enough that if one was off the other 2-3 pick up the slack but last year it seemed only guy picking up slack was Wilson until he eventually disappeared. And here we are looking for another shiny object because either the FO over estimated the talent at WR on the team of the scheme does nothing to help these WR, or the QB is power tripping.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
I read 6 pages of this thread and there are a lot of valid points but all were missing the real reason he is not here anymore.

He is not worth 20 million a year. He is not that receiver for whatever reason.

A prime Dez or Irvin would be worth 20 million. He made us good when we had nothing just as he is doing with Cleveland, but he is not a great receiver and 20 million a year is just too much, for whatever reason.

GINeric

Reaction score

Well its the same reason the Raiders got rid of him. He's got great talent, but disappear in some away games and disappear in BIG games, home or away.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If that's true, there has to be lots of film to back that assumption. Let's see it.
For starters you can watch the 40 niner playoff damn defensive back for playing 10 to 13 yds off our wide outs and Dak would not fire the ball out there. That's a hot read in every offense. Romo was literally yelling "Dak take that 7-10 yards" but he WOULDN'T MAKE THE THROW!!
It was there all game, it would have forced them to change coverage, and possibly have changed the outcome of the game .
So yeah, re-watch the game and get back to me.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
To my thinking, Amari Cooper was primarily cut as a cost-cutting move as the primary cause. Evidently, Jerry felt he wasn't getting the "bang for the buck" that he expected from one who was so generously paid. Whether it was justified or not is somewhat a matter of personal opinion. Cutting Cedric Wilson was, obviously, a cost cutting move, as well. Now, the FO is attempting to recover from their mistakes.

Last edited: