What is the real reason for trading Amari Cooper?

shabazz

Reaction score
No one is "blaming" Cooper Rush. He did an admirable job filling in for Dak. But he's just not going to consistently throw for as many yards as Dak.

he actually did blame Cooper Rush for not putting up a lot of yards, which I said was “fair enough” in my response. I just thought it apropos to point out that Dak went 10 games under 300 yards and many of them under 250.

last season with Dakota, Amari Cooper had exactly 2 games over 100 yards…..that’s a fact, Jack.

why pay Amari that kind of money when he’s not getting the ball anyway?

lukemartin79

Reaction score
I think it was clear that his anti-vaxx status and subsequent positive test that forced him to miss 2 games gave Jerry the scapegoat he was looking for for the late season flameout. Add in the chance to save some $$ and off he went for absolutely nothing. The worst move I can ever recall.
Exactly right - and wasn't he shown on tv in the crowd at some NBA game or a pic of him at some concert posted or something like that not wearing a mask in a very large group of people right at the time he had to miss those 2 games because he wasn't vac'd? That sent Jerry off, and unless he played like Jerry Rice and lead the Cowboys winning deep in the playoffs- his face was sealed.

Mannix

Reaction score
------Frankly, I’m left wondering what it is about Cooper that we don’t know.

You and others may not know....I've known since 12/22/19....the day in Philadelphia that he once and for all showed Booger, The Clapping Carrot, and Chuckles just how much football means to him...I honestly believe that the dye was cast that day far as his long term future in Dallas.

What part do you not get? Do you not remember the game? Do you not remember him taking every 3rd or 4th game off with us? He should not have been allowed to fly home on the team plane following that 2019 game in Philly.

rambo2

Reaction score
Amari Cooper is clearly a talented NFL wide receiver. He has size, speed, and superior route running ability. So why have both the Raiders and the Cowboys cut ties with him after 3-1/2 seasons in each location?

The missed trade for Brandon Cooks, and the potential signing of Odell Beckham, Jr. means that it wasn’t money that drove the decision to part with Cooper. Both players will command salaries similar to Cooper.

From the outside looking in, it appears that Amari has always been the consummate professional in how he handles himself with fans and the media. So it is a bit baffling that he has only had a shelf life of about 42 months in each location prior to being traded a second time to the Browns for only a 5th round pick.

The reality is that although offensive production is down in Dallas this year, we don’t know how much of that to attribute to the loss of Cooper. The injury to Dak, and the renewed commitment to running the football have also contributed to the lower overall production through the first 8 games.

Frankly, I’m left wondering what it is about Cooper that we don’t know.
Actually we do know. They were upset with his effort in the playoff game. The coaches, the owners, and the qb didn't want him anymore.

rambo2

Reaction score
The Cowboys clearly screwed up and now realize it. They’re now taking steps to correct that mistake.
Clearly? How was it a mistake to get rid of a player that the coaches, the owners, and the qb didn't want and now they are a top 4 team. You should take a look at the all 22 of the 49er game and look at the effort of Amari Cooper.

ottawacowpoke

Reaction score
- not a vocal team leader that was expected

I think this is overstated. Marvin Harrison wasn’t a vocal leader. He just went out and balled. Amari is certainly no Marvin Harrison but he would certainly help this offence. I do think you’re right about there being discord between he and Dak.

Jipper

Reaction score
I think this is overstated. Marvin Harrison wasn’t a vocal leader. He just went out and balled. Amari is certainly no Marvin Harrison but he would certainly help this offence. I do think you’re right about there being discord between he and Dak.

Yeah, and like I said that was rumored but not substantiated...it's very intriguing to try and direct the angles on this one, unfortunately we might never get the real answer

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The funny part is that I too actually thought that our pass offense was this high octane juggernaut. After looking up the passing yards last year I was shocked to see how many low to mid 200 yard passing games there were.

I dont hate dak i just dont think hes worth the contract. But you cant have a realistic grounded opinion and not be called a hater

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
He is gone and it does not bother me even a lil bit He is history here

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Clearly? How was it a mistake to get rid of a player that the coaches, the owners, and the qb didn't want and now they are a top 4 team.

You can try to push that false narrative as many times as you want and it still doesn’t make it true.

You should take a look at the all 22 of the 49er game and look at the effort of Amari Cooper.

Any excuse to help you feel better. Other than the truth.
:facepalm:

Qcard

Reaction score
Amari Cooper is clearly a talented NFL wide receiver. He has size, speed, and superior route running ability. So why have both the Raiders and the Cowboys cut ties with him after 3-1/2 seasons in each location?

The missed trade for Brandon Cooks, and the potential signing of Odell Beckham, Jr. means that it wasn’t money that drove the decision to part with Cooper. Both players will command salaries similar to Cooper.

From the outside looking in, it appears that Amari has always been the consummate professional in how he handles himself with fans and the media. So it is a bit baffling that he has only had a shelf life of about 42 months in each location prior to being traded a second time to the Browns for only a 5th round pick.

The reality is that although offensive production is down in Dallas this year, we don’t know how much of that to attribute to the loss of Cooper. The injury to Dak, and the renewed commitment to running the football have also contributed to the lower overall production through the first 8 games.

Amari Cooper brought philosophy to a Fist Fight...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Don't assume they'll pay big money to a WR until it happens.

OBJ signed for 4.75M last year and he was healthy that off-season.

Rumor is that the Cowboys wanted the Texans to pay Cooks 2023 salary.

lukemartin79

Reaction score
That makes sense. Figured it was the 2023 $ that was the issue. It wouldn't make a lot of sense if they didn't want Coopers contract or Cooks that they'd go out and give OBJ a multi-year deal for big $, which I am sure he is seeking and trying to get a bidding war going for his services started to get that kind of deal.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Perhaps he got tired of being open with no ball coming his direction:eek:

It amuses me that with rabid fans like we have here and no one has mentioned the times Amari just stared the QB down after a missed throw or no throw at all. Whatever other reasons there may have been, it was clear he wasn't confident in his QB. He may have wanted to be traded.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don't know why there's a certain part of this fanbase that every time we let a guy go for the better they always have to be the ones to remind us that we screwed up. Now y'all complain that we need another receiver and we should've never got rid of Coop..yet Lamb has replaced him at a cheaper cost.

I loved Coop here. But I also admit that I put up with his crap play on the road and big games. I was willing to live with it because it wasn't my money. But I certainly can understand the Jones boys looking at Coop and feeling like they could use that money elsewhere.

I'm really shocked we have people crying about that.

For years we complain we hang on to guys to long....they get rid of Collins and don't miss a beat. Get rid of Gregory and don't miss a beat. Get rid of Coop and honestly they don't miss a beat. You guys pick and chose when you want to trust this organization and their roster choices.