What is the reason the Jones' don't spend in free agency?

Jayinem

Reaction score
Is it ego that they want their own homegrown players through the draft?

OR

Do they not know how to manage the salary cap?

OR

Both or some other reason?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
They want to say it's the players we have to pay, to make fans upset because those players are taking up so much of the pie!!

Brax

Reaction score

OR

OR

They simply like the home grown players and think they are super smart draft gurus

Sandyf

Reaction score
Mainly because they have been burned at over paying. BE nice if someone could take the last 5 years of guys signed 1st week of free agency at those high prices and see how many actually worked out percentage wise.

Jayinem

Reaction score
Mainly because they have been burned at over paying. BE nice if someone could take the last 5 years of guys signed 1st week of free agency at those high prices and see how many actually worked out percentage wise.
Who are you referring to? I can't think of the last time they even plunged in free agency. They haven't signed a big free agent since Deion Sanders before that Charles Haley and both of those worked out pretty well.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score

OR

OR

Brandon carr. It's that simple. They think every FA signing should turn out like deion sanders. But that's not it works. Being the architects of a football team is a grind....and they are not in it for the grind. There are PLENTY of people who love the grind, but not the Jones boys. They are in it for the fame. Think about it, Jerry insists having the GM title...and he does little to zero GM work. Especially the stuff that requires grind, hustle, always on the road etc..

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I guess because the vacation costed so much so we have to save money, put all of our focus on that!!!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ego, as in narcissistic. Jerry Jones believes he is an NFL wunderkind. The self-belief is any player acquired will be as good or better than outsider observers might judge them to be.

OR

They do know how to manage the salary cap well enough to avoid its pitfalls. Long-term strategic planning for signing and waiving players is what they struggle with the salary cap most of all.

OR

It is simple. The ex-oil wildcatter and his chemical engineer son had early NFL success thrust upon them while partnered with Jimmy Johnson. Narcissism fed into that enormous success and left the self-delusion that it can be duplicated quite easily. So easy in fact that no one else should be hired, manage football operations, and re-claim that early success.

After all, why allow someone else to be seen as the savior of the franchise if they got three Lombardi Trophies out of doing it themselves?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because they know better than the fans on here about how to run a team.
Especially since all teams operate under the same cap. Much to many fans disbelief that they are cheap. When they are not.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

OR

OR

They don’t spend due to the salary cap. They have high priced players they want to re-sign. They wait for the prices on free agents to go down.

Jayinem

Reaction score
Because they know better than the fans on here about how to run a team.
Especially since all teams operate under the same cap. Much to many fans disbelief that they are cheap. When they are not.
Then how do other teams do it and they dont? You're making those of us angry at them's point in that every team has to operate under the same salary cap yet they use that as an excuse not to sign free agents when other teams do.

It's arguable that just because they're experienced that it makes them great at running at team. In fact I'd say it's flat out wrong. Fired Jimmy Johnson after winning b2b Super Bowls the next coach piggybacked off that success since then 5-13 in the playoffs worst of any team that has at least 15 playoff games since the last Super Bowl. They may be better at it than some people on this forum but compared to other NFL teams, they stink.

Who has an ego so big they insist on building through the draft only? Jerry Jones and no one else.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then how do other teams do it and they dont? You're making those of us angry at them's point in that every team has to operate under the same salary cap yet they use that as an excuse not to sign free agents when other teams do.

It's arguable that just because they're experienced that it makes them great at running at team. In fact I'd say it's flat out wrong. Fired Jimmy Johnson after winning b2b Super Bowls the next coach piggybacked off that success since then 5-13 in the playoffs worst of any team that has at least 15 playoff games since the last Super Bowl. They may be better at it than some people on this forum but compared to other NFL teams, they stink.

Who has an ego so big they insist on building through the draft only? Jerry Jones and no one else.
I am not saying I agree with what to have done and are doing. But you have read the posts and such on here that fans complain about. I know much of it is venting. But no way they as other teams would or could do such outrageous deals.

And if any fan thought after the triplets were gone, that this team was not going to have some down years are just crazy.
Hence the poor records and playoff success.

That Lack of playoff success also came with Parcels and Phillips. Then after that is really all on Jerry for keeping Garrett too long.
It has been far better under MM. We all want some FA and big names to seem like they are really trying to improve. However nothing pleases many fans. If SF signs a player, Jerry sucks, if Jerry signs that same player, he still sucks as he should have signed the other player SF signed because we signed the guy they wanted.

That is why I posted what I did. Fans will never be happy with anything. Even winning in the playoffs, may not change that.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
At one point Jones' eyes were watering as he talked of being motivated - still, as a billionaire - by the fear of being broke.

"I don't want to go back that far," he says. "So yeah, I run scared."

Highlights of the piece ...

*He admits "stats are for losers." sorry dak

*Says the Cowboys got too full of themselves.

*Says as the GM he's "getting a real going over" by critics.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Its Dallas trying to prove they know a better way to build a team. It goes back to arrogance.