What is the reason the Jones' don't spend in free agency?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
They don’t know how to manage the cap and roster building. It’s really that simple. If they did,
  • They would not have had 4 playoff wins in 28 years.
  • They would have long ago hired someone qualified to be the GM.
  • They would employ a different strategy than the same one that keeps giving them the same results.
Honestly, these guys not only don’t know what they’re doing, they are clearly comfortable with the results they get.
Exactly Bob, that is why post that say "Jerry knows how to run a team" are just laughable when you look at the actual results on the field.

See, its not a matter of it Jerry and others know more than the fans, I'm sure they do, its a matter of it Jerry and others know more than the other teams. Cleary, results show they do not.

dagreat1_87

Reaction score
That was in 2012.

So, because they got burned on one contract 12 years ago, they have sworn off every signing a top end free agent for eternity?

Sounds like a great way to run a team, I guess the lack of playoff success is just bad luck.;)
Yup looks that way. Not a smart strategy

JBS

Reaction score
They’re on record explicitly explaining the answer to this question. It’s baffling so few in here know the answer. Wow.

They’ve said it countless number of times. They’re not comfortable over spending (their opinion) on players that they don’t have first hand experience working with. That’s also why they pay their own guys bc they know them. They’re comfortable with them.

JBS

Reaction score
That was in 2012.

So, because they got burned on one contract 12 years ago, they have sworn off every signing a top end free agent for eternity?

Sounds like a great way to run a team, I guess the lack of playoff success is just bad luck.;)
Yes. Can you imagine that? That’s what we are dealing with here. Absolute idiots run this team.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Brandon carr. It's that simple. They think every FA signing should turn out like deion sanders. But that's not it works. Being the architects of a football team is a grind....and they are not in it for the grind. There are PLENTY of people who love the grind, but not the Jones boys. They are in it for the fame. Think about it, Jerry insists having the GM title...and he does little to zero GM work. Especially the stuff that requires grind, hustle, always on the road etc..
Jerry hasn’t been the day to day guy in decades. Stephen I’m starting to believe isn’t even really as involved either. It’s his assistants. The problem is the assistants don’t have any power.

Stephen now does the corporate outings like he did on Thursday. He’s getting ready to take over when Jerry’s gone.

McClay clearly just is here for the paycheck. I would’ve loved to see what he could do if he actually got to run the team the way he wanted.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
I am not saying I agree with what to have done and are doing. But you have read the posts and such on here that fans complain about. I know much of it is venting. But no way they as other teams would or could do such outrageous deals.

And if any fan thought after the triplets were gone, that this team was not going to have some down years are just crazy.
Hence the poor records and playoff success.

That Lack of playoff success also came with Parcels and Phillips. Then after that is really all on Jerry for keeping Garrett too long.
It has been far better under MM. We all want some FA and big names to seem like they are really trying to improve. However nothing pleases many fans. If SF signs a player, Jerry sucks, if Jerry signs that same player, he still sucks as he should have signed the other player SF signed because we signed the guy they wanted.

That is why I posted what I did. Fans will never be happy with anything. Even winning in the playoffs, may not change that.
LoL what in the world? Have we been on the same planet for the last 28 years? "some down years"? “Better under MM“? "outrageous deals"?

Some fans here are smoking some weird stuff, I agree. But most just look around the league and see what's happening and what kind of deals are being made all around for years. Or how other teams constantly re invent themselves. Like Philly for example.

It's not even about an SB win anymore. It's about not seeing something even close to be called a "concept" from this FO. Since forever.