What is the tangible problem Jerry causes this team?

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
There’s been a lot of talk the last few days of how Jerry is interfering in how Jason wants to run the team. He says things on the radio. Well of course he does. It’s part of the teams contract with the radio station.

What does anything Jerry say have to do with Jaylon missing tackles in the open field or Maher missing kicks?

Jerry hasn’t been any different his whole career. Yet supposedly, magically when the team went on the run last year he stopped interfering?

Or when they went 13-3 in 2016 with the Romo issue which had to kill him personally he was silent but yet caused destruction in the playoff game vs GB?

Please. Talking heads are trying to find sophisticated reasons beyond rehashing the same stuff. Yes I know it came from Troy which means it probably came from Garrett. But if you’re in the NFL you’re paid to do your job.

Now if Jason wanted to cut Maher and Jerry said no then ok that’s a TANGIBLE problem. Or if he’s dictating Zeke get 25 carries a game no matter what. But there has NEVER been concrete proof he’s ever done anything to demand play calls.

The team has just been cursed by not focusing on details on every snap going back to Romos dropped hold vs Seattle. That’s a coaching and player issue not owner/GM issue because these things seem to pop up at the weirdest times like Zekes fumble vs NO. It’s not like he’s keeping guys that have a track record of this aside from Maher. That’s just because there’s no better options available.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There’s been a lot of talk the last few days of how Jerry is interfering in how Jason wants to run the team. He says things on the radio. Well of course he does. It’s part of the teams contract with the radio station.

What does anything Jerry say have to do with Jaylon missing tackles in the open field or Maher missing kicks?

Jerry hasn’t been any different his whole career. Yet supposedly, magically when the team went on the run last year he stopped interfering?

Or when they went 13-3 in 2016 with the Romo issue which had to kill him personally he was silent but yet caused destruction in the playoff game vs GB?

Please. Talking heads are trying to find sophisticated reasons beyond rehashing the same stuff. Yes I know it came from Troy which means it probably came from Garrett. But if you’re in the NFL you’re paid to do your job.

Now if Jason wanted to cut Maher and Jerry said no then ok that’s a TANGIBLE problem. Or if he’s dictating Zeke get 25 carries a game no matter what. But there has NEVER been concrete proof he’s ever done anything to demand play calls.

The team has just been cursed by not focusing on details on every snap going back to Romos dropped hold vs Seattle. That’s a coaching and player issue not owner/GM issue because these things seem to pop up at the weirdest times like Zekes fumble vs NO. It’s not like he’s keeping guys that have a track record of this.

Say "Thank you" Cowboy nation for 3 playoff games in 24 years!
This guy gets off easy as anywhere he is spotted fans should simply abuse him in any way possible!
Just figuring maybe then he might step down and let a real football GM run this team.

18j577k7al17ojpg.jpg

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I agree with you. Creating mass conspiracies are more fun than to just say that Garrett or the players themselves are underperforming.

I think Jerry’s main problem is that he’s enabled and encouraged this culture of accepting mediocrity. He always says he wants to win, but his actions contradict that. He’d have done away with Garrett 5 years ago and he’d have quit meddling and hired a real GM and real coach if he truly wanted to win.

Other than that, the lack of attention to detail and daily football struggles fall directly onto Garrett, coaches and players.

Asklesko

Reaction score
Jerry holds Garrett back, I reckon. I won't be surprised when Garrett goes somewhere else and averages 11-5.

BHendri5

Reaction score

The team has just been cursed by not focusing on details on every snap going back to Romos dropped hold vs Seattle. That’s a coaching and player issue not owner/GM issue because these things seem to pop up at the weirdest times like Zekes fumble vs NO. It’s not like he’s keeping guys that have a track record of this aside from Maher. That’s just because there’s no better options available.

You just answered your own questions

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think I can sum it up in one word.....

Meddling

Jerry didn’t meddle so much early on but it grows year after year.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Jerry meddling and Garrett being a horrid coach are not mutually exclusive events, they both are true.

I mean, how is it Jerry's fault that after 10 years on the job Garrett still cant manage the clock, use timeouts, make challenges, and botch situational football? How exactly is Garrett being a complete dumpster fire on game day Jerry's fault?

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
The coach should have the final say in anything a player is tasked to do provided the task is reasonable. If a player can go around the coach and complain to the owner, it creates a dysfunctional dynamic. I’m not saying this dynamic exists within the Cowboys organization. I’m just explaining how it might work.

It’s not that the dynamic goes away when the team is winning. It’s that, in the aggregate, the team won’t win consistently at a high level.

Kalyan

Reaction score
It is the culture throughout the organization that promotes success or not. There might be people withholding bright ideas that Jerry might not like or like to hear and lot of butt kissing instead of focusing on improving every facet of the organization. It always starts at the top, success or failure

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s mostly the constant circus atmosphere. The players say they get used to it, but I think it’s probably a constant low-level distraction in a business where you have to minimize distractions.

I think his open-door policy for players undermines his coaches, too.

This offseason, I think they were pretty good, but I do think it being a contract year for Garrett made Jerry less willing to have position coaches and coordinators on longer term guaranteed deals. I think that’s part of why they elevated Moore and O’Quinn. And it’s pretty obvious O’Quinn isn’t ready for that coordinator job.

The last thing Jerry does that isn’t helpful is the publicly undermining his coach from week to week. I think a lot of that stuff gets overblown, but I do think it gets heard by players and they react to it.

BHendri5

Reaction score
Garrett manages the clock just fine stop listening to those egg heads in the booths, they are giving you their own opinions of what they think they would do if they were in those situations. But in reality if they were so good don’t you think that they would be on some teams sideline?

BHendri5

Reaction score
We have the most famous and the most beloved and hated sports franchise in America so yes there will always be a circus type atmosphere it does not matter who is the owner it does not matter who is the coach it does not matter who the players are especially nowadays with all this social media you will never have a season that will not have a lot of in the know about what’s going on in the organization of the Dallas Cowboys

fivetwos

Reaction score
Jerry meddling and Garrett being a horrid coach are not mutually exclusive events, they both are true.

I mean, how is it Jerry's fault that after 10 years on the job Garrett still cant manage the clock, use timeouts, make challenges, and botch situational football? How exactly is Garrett being a complete dumpster fire on game day Jerry's fault?
Umm... he HIRED him.

Not only that, he KEPT him, and for a DECADE.

That answer it for you??

willia451

Reaction score
Jerry is owner and General Manager. He approves the drafting, signings, and trades of players. He is the face of the franchise. He sets the tone and the culture. And he hires all the coaches. To suggest that somehow the architect of teams that have for all intents and purposes done nothing in the postseason for 25 years (or whatever) is not accountable and responsible for the results on the field of play indicates a level of willful ignorance and delusion that is quite frankly stunning.

But I understand why people are reluctant to call Jerry out. He is a very powerful owner in the NFL. And he is a very powerful man in North Texas. You're risking a lot. And for really little to no return on investment. Jerry owns the Cowboys. That's not going to change.

So they attack his underlings like vicious wild dogs hoping he'll get the message one day. Which is fine. It's something to do. And interesting in a queer sort of way.

For me. I just like to see them win. Will they win tonight? We shall see.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Almost a 1/4 century of failure and only 1 constant. Try to touch all the Lombardi trophy's we've had in that time. There's your tangibility.

BHendri5

Reaction score
Jerry is owner and General Manager. He approves the drafting, signings, and trades of players. He is the face of the franchise. He sets the tone and the culture. And he hires all the coaches. To suggest that somehow the architect of teams that have for all intents and purposes done nothing in the postseason for 25 years (or whatever) is not accountable and responsible for the results on the field of play indicates a level of willful ignorance and delusion that is quite frankly stunning.

But I understand why people are reluctant to call Jerry out. He is a very powerful owner in the NFL. And he is a very powerful man in North Texas. You're risking a lot. And for really little to no return on investment. Jerry owns the Cowboys. That's not going to change.

So they attack his underlings like vicious wild dogs hoping he'll get the message one day. Which is fine. It's something to do. And interesting in a queer sort of way.

For me. I just like to see them win. Will they win tonight? We shall see.

I like this post

Dre11

Reaction score

I wonder how many owners sit in coaches meetings. All of nothing, basically told the coaches to get of Zekes back in a coaches meeting. what owner gives injury reports before the coach knows it. those are just a couple, I don't think he even knows he's doing it. but I will always say he has the right to do it , it's his team, but you do wonder how out affects the overall production of the team. everyone knows Jason likes to keep everything buttoned up, but Jerry likes to open the door wide open.