What is this team's roster building philosophy for the draft and FA?

Chasing6

Reaction score
So it's not Jerry's fault....lol

If you blow up the staff, you hire staff that fit your returning players and can coach up their weaknesses.
Problem 1:
It is the GM's job to create the Philosophy.

Problem 2:
The GM is hired by the Owner.

Problem 3:
The GM gets to evaluate his own performance at the end of the year.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Problem 1:
It is the GM's job to create the Philosophy.

Problem 2:
The GM is hired by the Owner.

Problem 3:
The GM gets to evaluate his own performance at the end of the year.
So it is Jerry's fault....

Problem 1:
Fans don't know the whole story, they blame Jerry because he does interviews.
Problem 2:
If he's as bad as he's made out to be, why have we won 37 games in the last 3 years....over half of the teams and their fans you love to be able to say that.
Problem 3:
Many fans assume they are always right and Jerry is wrong, when they really have no clue. I don't know if it all his fault, so I won't assume. I'm sure you know what happens when you assume

kskboys

Reaction score

Problem 1:
Problem 2:
If he's as bad as he's made out to be, why have we won 37 games in the last 3 years....over half of the teams and their fans you love to be able to say that.
Problem 3:
Many fans assume they are always right and Jerry is wrong, when they really have no clue. I don't know if it all his fault, so I won't assume. I'm sure you know what happens when you assume
Not as bad, worse.

People blame Jerry because he's in charge of all of it, duh.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Problem 1:
Problem 2:
Problem 3:
It's not all his fault. It his half Owner Jerry's and the other half is GM Jerruh's fault.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not as bad, worse.

People blame Jerry because he's in charge of all of it, duh.
Duh! People blame Jerry because he's an easy target. And those that blame him have NO clue what goes on at Valley Ranch. Just lazy fans picking an easy target.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Duh! People blame Jerry because he's an easy target. And those that blame him have NO clue what goes on at Valley Ranch. Just lazy fans picking an easy target.
Ultimately it’s the responsibility of who’s in charge or the boss . That’s why HC’s and GM’s are fired.

We know there’s always several contributing factors and moving pieces but ultimately the person in charge is held responsible .

It’s their job to fire and hire making personnel changes if needed to try and save their job.

That’s the person who receives most of the credit if they have success and who gets most of the blame if they don’t.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Ultimately it’s the responsibility of who’s in charge or the boss . That’s why HC’s are fired.

We know there’s always several contributing factors and moving pieces but ultimately the person in charge is held responsible .

That’s the person who receives most of the credit if they have success and who gets most of the blame if they don’t.
That's true....but the same that blame him for everything don't give him credit for winning 3 SBs...he did hire Jimmy. If it doesn't work both ways, their arguments don't matter.
Many are only here bash Jerry, Dak, Micah etc.
Blame them for their screw ups, but don't give them credit when they do something good.
That's all I'm saying.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
One of the biggest problems this franchise has had for decades is mystifying to me: They don’t keep a roster building philosophy to build around very long on either side of the ball and seem very dependent on coordinators to influence the draft.

Looking at our roster - especially on defense - there are clearly multiple philosophical styles reflected in players drafted and acquired over the years, which may be one reason the defense has never been able to be consistently good, and the offense seems to morph back and forth between being built for a strong running game to being a pass first offense.

IMO, there are several reasons why we seemingly are rudderless on philosophy:
  1. We’ve had 3 different defensive coordinators in 5 years since Rod Marinelli left in 2019. Thats Mike Nolan, Dan Quinn, and now Mike Zimmer. And we’ve drafted players for each of those coordinators’ philosophies. So going into this draft, are we seeking speed, quickness, and versatility on defense as Dan Quinn clearly wanted? Or Mike Zimmer’s bigger upfront approach? And what if Zimmer is here a year?
  2. In the 8 years Dak has been here, he’s played for 3 different OCs including Scott Linehan, Kellen Moore and now Brian Schottenheimer who is essentially just the OC in name only for Big Mac. The offensive philosophy in 2016-19 was clearly built around having a big talented OL that could anchor a running game that helped the defense and the QB. Then Mike McCarthy came here and the offense became more pass first oriented. What are we building around. now?
  3. As a side note, in the 24 seasons of the 21st century, the Cowboys have used a 4-3 defense (Campo years) followed by a 3-4 defense (Parcells, Wade years) followed by a return to the 4-3 since 2011. And have employed 7 different DCs in this century.
All the better organizations of the last 20-30 years have a philosophy to build their roster around, and they draft and acquire free agents accordingly. Pittsburgh for example has been committed to the 3-4 defense for four decades and they draft accordingly. They have a very clear philosophy. The ravens also have had a consistent 3-4 defensive philosophy for nearly 3 decades. Look at how the niners are built- they value physicality on both sides of the ball.

So what exactly is the Cowboys roster building philosophy now? I’m not sure any of us have a clear idea. But what’s worse, I’m not sure the guys named Jones who are making all the big decisions really know either.

If this team plans on keeping Dak, (and it appears they do) they better recognize they need a bigger, more physical front 7 on defense and better have an excellent running game to compete with the big boys in the playoffs. IMO, Dak is good enough with that kind of support for this team to do better in the playoffs. But if this FO thinks Dak is capable of carrying this team on the strength of his arm and talent alone, we are headed for another frustrating season.

And with all the coaching staff on expiring or one year contract deals, what if the staff is blown up in 2024? A whole new philosophy?

status quo

as long as the stadium and team makes money, thats all that matters. everything else is just icing on a fat cake.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And your still chasing six with him. I guess the joke is on you and all the others that really have no clue.
You’ve been a HC and the man in charge. I’m sure when the team or school was having success you received much of the credit while you had a strong supporting cast which probably deserved much credit as well.

But ultimately you received the most credit because you put the staff together. And when it went astray they looked to you for responsibility and your staff which again falls on you.

That’s all part of being the boss. Doesn’t mean it’s fair. But the buck has to stop somewhere . That’s how it is in business and sports. And basically any entity or team situation where someone is in charge or held responsible.

That’s really all we need to know. Just like I’ve often argued , we don’t need to know how to repair a car to know it needs repair.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That's true....but the same that blame him for everything don't give him credit for winning 3 SBs...he did hire Jimmy. If it doesn't work both ways, their arguments don't matter.
Blame them for their screw ups, but don't give them credit when they do something good.
That's all I'm saying.
I think most give him credit for hiring Jimmy. No doubt his best decision ever. And most appreciate the wonderful years.

But that doesn’t give him a pass for life , or shouldn’t. It didn’t for Landry, Bilichick, etc.. the list goes on.

It’s always about what have you done for me lately. That’s how it’s always going to be.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's all I'm saying.
Here’s Jerry’s ”credit” ledger where he deserves some thumbs up:
  • Hiring Jimmy Johnson and allowing him for the first 5 years to have full control of the team, the draft and personnel. (Jimmy had that in his contract. The last Cowboys coach to have it)
  • Working on and approving the Hershel Walker trade and the Charles Haley trade.
  • Working to get the team in better financial shape between 1989-92.
  • Great business plan for the Cowboys and eventually the entire NFL. It’s what earned him his HOF credentials.
  • Working hard to get Deion Sanders, a key piece for the SB 30 season.
I give Jerry ALL that credit.
Now here’s what I also hold him responsible for:
  • Abandoning the formula that built three SB winning teams by taking away the power of a strong HC.
  • Twenty-eight years and counting with 5 WC game wins, no divisional playoff wins, no conference championship appearances.
  • Some of the worst trades in NFL history (The Joey Galloway and Roy Williams trades)
  • Some of the worst drafts in Cowboys and maybe NFL history. (2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, and others)
  • Hired and kept Jason Garrett as HC for a decade, despite only making the playoffs 3 times, and winning 2 WC games.
  • Stubborn refusal to admit mistakes, change course, or do what the winning owners of the last 28 SBs all did: Recognize they need to hire someone else to be their GM.
So yeah, Jerry deserves credit for the things I listed. Credit given. But the three decade record of playoff futility would have long ago gotten any other GM fired. Jerry craves the “credit” but he doesn’t seem to want the accountability for failure that all other normal leaders also have to carry. You can’t have it both ways.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Here’s Jerry’s ”credit” ledger where he deserves some thumbs up:
  • Hiring Jimmy Johnson and allowing him for the first 5 years to have full control of the team, the draft and personnel. (Jimmy had that in his contract. The last Cowboys coach to have it)
  • Working on and approving the Hershel Walker trade and the Charles Haley trade.
  • Working to get the team in better financial shape between 1989-92.
  • Great business plan for the Cowboys and eventually the entire NFL. It’s what earned him his HOF credentials.
  • Working hard to get Deion Sanders, a key piece for the SB 30 season.
I give Jerry ALL that credit.
Now here’s what I also hold him responsible for:
  • Abandoning the formula that built three SB winning teams by taking away the power of a strong HC.
  • Twenty-eight years and counting with 5 WC game wins, no divisional playoff wins, no conference championship appearances.
  • Some of the worst trades in NFL history (The Joey Galloway and Roy Williams trades)
  • Some of the worst drafts in Cowboys and maybe NFL history. (2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, and others)
  • Hired and kept Jason Garrett as HC for a decade, despite only making the playoffs 3 times, and winning 2 WC games.
  • Stubborn refusal to admit mistakes, change course, or do what the winning owners of the last 28 SBs all did: Recognize they need to hire someone else to be their GM.
So yeah, Jerry deserves credit for the things I listed. Credit given. But the three decade record of playoff futility would have long ago gotten any other GM fired. Jerry craves the “credit” but he doesn’t seem to want the accountability for failure that all other normal leaders also have to carry. You can’t have it both ways.
Jerry has been fighting the ghost of Jimmy Johnson as a HC for the last 30 years. Jerry will never win another SB until he gets a legit coach with legit autonomy to run the team.

Chasing6

Reaction score
People blame Jerry because he is the Owner and the GM. Should we blame the hot dog vender???

The Ownsr/GM has 100% authority on all decisions. Who else is their to blame???

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
One of the biggest problems this franchise has had for decades is mystifying to me: They don’t keep a roster building philosophy to build around very long on either side of the ball and seem very dependent on coordinators to influence the draft.

Looking at our roster - especially on defense - there are clearly multiple philosophical styles reflected in players drafted and acquired over the years, which may be one reason the defense has never been able to be consistently good, and the offense seems to morph back and forth between being built for a strong running game to being a pass first offense.

IMO, there are several reasons why we seemingly are rudderless on philosophy:
  1. We’ve had 3 different defensive coordinators in 5 years since Rod Marinelli left in 2019. Thats Mike Nolan, Dan Quinn, and now Mike Zimmer. And we’ve drafted players for each of those coordinators’ philosophies. So going into this draft, are we seeking speed, quickness, and versatility on defense as Dan Quinn clearly wanted? Or Mike Zimmer’s bigger upfront approach? And what if Zimmer is here a year?
  2. In the 8 years Dak has been here, he’s played for 3 different OCs including Scott Linehan, Kellen Moore and now Brian Schottenheimer who is essentially just the OC in name only for Big Mac. The offensive philosophy in 2016-19 was clearly built around having a big talented OL that could anchor a running game that helped the defense and the QB. Then Mike McCarthy came here and the offense became more pass first oriented. What are we building around. now?
  3. As a side note, in the 24 seasons of the 21st century, the Cowboys have used a 4-3 defense (Campo years) followed by a 3-4 defense (Parcells, Wade years) followed by a return to the 4-3 since 2011. And have employed 7 different DCs in this century.
All the better organizations of the last 20-30 years have a philosophy to build their roster around, and they draft and acquire free agents accordingly. Pittsburgh for example has been committed to the 3-4 defense for four decades and they draft accordingly. They have a very clear philosophy. The ravens also have had a consistent 3-4 defensive philosophy for nearly 3 decades. Look at how the niners are built- they value physicality on both sides of the ball.

So what exactly is the Cowboys roster building philosophy now? I’m not sure any of us have a clear idea. But what’s worse, I’m not sure the guys named Jones who are making all the big decisions really know either.

If this team plans on keeping Dak, (and it appears they do) they better recognize they need a bigger, more physical front 7 on defense and better have an excellent running game to compete with the big boys in the playoffs. IMO, Dak is good enough with that kind of support for this team to do better in the playoffs. But if this FO thinks Dak is capable of carrying this team on the strength of his arm and talent alone, we are headed for another frustrating season.

And with all the coaching staff on expiring or one year contract deals, what if the staff is blown up in 2024? A whole new philosophy?
The Cowboys have certainly been operating from a discernable script in the off-season for over a decade. However, I sense a break from that script with the coaching staff and Dak on a one-year deal. I expect to see an untraditional approach to the off-season by the Cowboys this year. They will be more aggressive in free agency and the draft for specific positions, like the O-line and interior D-line.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Maybe fans need to just give it up until Jethro is gone. We continue to expect change but it’s not coming.
I don't think we need to totally give up just alter our expectations to what Jerry will allow the team to achieve .

He's going to spend a certain amount of money to attain a certain level of success that keeps the team relevant and keeps making money.

He is proven he absolutely will not overspend on the short term and suffer through bad years. With anything other than ultimate revenue.

Our super bowl is the game his is having a team that makes the most money and is worth the most

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
jerry said it was like Walmart. If you go cheap you will reap the rewards, the pitiful fans will still be all in. Remember Jerry is not laughing with you, he's laughing at you.

Last edited:

Blackrain

Reaction score
I think the Cowboys roster building philosophy is what it has been for years do enough to stay relevant and make the playoffs.

Use terms like ALL IN TO TRICK THE FANS INTO BELIEVING THERE IS A DIFFERENT SENSE OF URGENCY.

It's all still the same build to make the playoffs dangle the carrot in front of the fan base and continue to watch The profit skyrocket