What is this team's roster building philosophy for the draft and FA?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Because he'll never believe anything bad about this team, he has something positive to say about every player or coach. It's time that the Jones family let someone else take over hell just give it to Jimmy
Maybe fans need to just give it up until Jethro is gone. We continue to expect change but it’s not coming.

kskboys

Reaction score
Unfortunately as fans we just have to give it up. We of course can retain some hope but we can’t continue to look for change or sense of urgency when it’s not coming from the top.

We can still critique and provide all of our personal expertise in what our personnel needs are, decisions and directions we should go.

But the discussion in why we aren’t doing the things we should be , philosophy etc is moot. It’s been established. Unless some fans are still in denial.
I mostly laugh at easily predicted downfalls. Wasn't hard at all to see the loss to GB coming. And the saddest part is, we lost in the same way we've been losing in the playoffs for many many years: Can't stop the run.

Yeah, my only hope is that we accidentally fall into super bowl contention.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
LOL.....conventional GMs operate on a 4-5-year contract. They either show some serious improvement or they are gone. Jerry goes from one coach to another as opposed to contracts.

Aven8

Reaction score
One of the biggest problems this franchise has had for decades is mystifying to me: They don’t keep a roster building philosophy to build around very long on either side of the ball and seem very dependent on coordinators to influence the draft.

Looking at our roster - especially on defense - there are clearly multiple philosophical styles reflected in players drafted and acquired over the years, which may be one reason the defense has never been able to be consistently good, and the offense seems to morph back and forth between being built for a strong running game to being a pass first offense.

IMO, there are several reasons why we seemingly are rudderless on philosophy:
  1. We’ve had 3 different defensive coordinators in 5 years since Rod Marinelli left in 2019. Thats Mike Nolan, Dan Quinn, and now Mike Zimmer. And we’ve drafted players for each of those coordinators’ philosophies. So going into this draft, are we seeking speed, quickness, and versatility on defense as Dan Quinn clearly wanted? Or Mike Zimmer’s bigger upfront approach? And what if Zimmer is here a year?
  2. In the 8 years Dak has been here, he’s played for 3 different OCs including Scott Linehan, Kellen Moore and now Brian Schottenheimer who is essentially just the OC in name only for Big Mac. The offensive philosophy in 2016-19 was clearly built around having a big talented OL that could anchor a running game that helped the defense and the QB. Then Mike McCarthy came here and the offense became more pass first oriented. What are we building around. now?
  3. As a side note, in the 24 seasons of the 21st century, the Cowboys have used a 4-3 defense (Campo years) followed by a 3-4 defense (Parcells, Wade years) followed by a return to the 4-3 since 2011. And have employed 7 different DCs in this century.
All the better organizations of the last 20-30 years have a philosophy to build their roster around, and they draft and acquire free agents accordingly. Pittsburgh for example has been committed to the 3-4 defense for four decades and they draft accordingly. They have a very clear philosophy. The ravens also have had a consistent 3-4 defensive philosophy for nearly 3 decades. Look at how the niners are built- they value physicality on both sides of the ball.

So what exactly is the Cowboys roster building philosophy now? I’m not sure any of us have a clear idea. But what’s worse, I’m not sure the guys named Jones who are making all the big decisions really know either.

If this team plans on keeping Dak, (and it appears they do) they better recognize they need a bigger, more physical front 7 on defense and better have an excellent running game to compete with the big boys in the playoffs. IMO, Dak is good enough with that kind of support for this team to do better in the playoffs. But if this FO thinks Dak is capable of carrying this team on the strength of his arm and talent alone, we are headed for another frustrating season.

And with all the coaching staff on expiring or one year contract deals, what if the staff is blown up in 2024? A whole new philosophy?
Well something is going right Bob. 9 All Pros last season is amazing. I put nothing in for pro bowls, but All Pro’s mean something.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well something is going right Bob. 9 All Pros last season is amazing. I put nothing in for pro bowls, but All Pro’s mean something.
Good point A. And I agree that being All Pro is very meaningful and impressive.

But it reminds me of the great quote from the longtime Notre Dame football HC from years ago -
“I play my best 11, not my eleven best”. A team is always better than a group of individuals. Which I think underscores the problem here in Big D. There’s definitely talent but those guys play more like a collection of talent rather than an actual team IMO.

Aven8

Reaction score
Good point A. And I agree that being All Pro is very meaningful and impressive.

But it reminds me of the great quote from the longtime Notre Dame football HC from years ago -
“I play my best 11, not my eleven best”. A team is always better than a group of individuals. Which I think underscores the problem here in Big D. There’s definitely talent but those guys play more like a collection of talent rather than an actual team IMO.
And that’s why we can cream NE, the Jets, and Gents twice, where other teams just barely beat them, and then in the big games we fold. We have the talent to beat anyone, they just can’t seem to ever put it together like KC to win the whole thing.

I’m not sure any HC is good enough to do it regardless of our QB and his shortcomings.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That list is somewhat misleading . 4 were 1st team , 5 2nd team

2 were punter and kicker

3 were OL, 2 of which have been for almost every year of their career.

Lamb was no doubt the best of the crop.
Dak over rated .

And only 2 on defense . Parsons tailed off at end of year . And Blands big interception record off the bench.

If you didn’t watch all of our games you’d say Cowboys led the league in All Pro so must be flush in talent but offensively blowing out lesser opponents skewed the stats. And defensively while ranked near top 5 still couldn’t stop the run which killed them in playoffs along with a turd from our QB.

My hunch is we only have 3-5 All Pros next year. Which is closer to the Elite talent we actually have.
Martin, Parsons, Smith, Lamb and maybe one of our kickers . And Diggs if he returns healthy.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And that’s why we can cream NE, the Jets, and Gents twice, where other teams just barely beat them, and then in the big games we fold. We have the talent to beat anyone, they just can’t seem to ever put it together like KC to win the whole thing.

I’m not sure any HC is good enough to do it regardless of our QB and his shortcomings.
I don’t believe we have the talent to beat anyone. Not in the key positions .

And why we struggle against the better teams and QB’s.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Cowboys have 3 Perennial All Pros :
Martin, Smith and Parsons

Lamb could become another one. Great season. But we’ll see if that level continues.

Kickers being All Pros are an asset but who knows whether that continues. Our K had an amazing first season and our punter has been consistent. But those aren’t positions which push us over the top.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
How likely is this athlete to chat up our ‘sponsors’ pregame and postgame?

Let’s all sing: I’m just a Coca-Cola Cowboy…

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
I don’t really care about the scheme stuff as much because it isn’t like they’ve changed scheme every year and 3-4 vs 4-3 is actually an old and outdated way to measure it as teams are going nickel heavy and run hybrid stuff. Also a few weeks back one of your posts was about how they never have head coaches hired….well a reason we have a new d coordinator is because we had a good one be hired to be a hired coach. We can’t have it both ways.

As far as roster construction my biggest gripe with them is how they carry themselves in their thought process. They run the team in a next man up, get rid of guys a year early than a year late, build through the draft and never sign guys in free agency way as if they are belichicks patriots. Building through the draft is smart but you need to also use free agency as a tool.

They rely on hope way too much, hope that key positions can be filled by late or mid round picks or guys that are just unproven. The complete avoidance of free agency even at the mid tier level is just blind arrogance and likely will be why they don’t take the next jump and hover around the division round.

raven55

Reaction score
just listen to jerry ramble on and you get an idea and stephen will lie in a minute. to put it quick pay low and hire anyone in the 3 tier of free agency get ready in a year it will be groundhog day again . We will be back to the low life 90's again

Chasing6

Reaction score
One of the biggest problems this franchise has had for decades is mystifying to me: They don’t keep a roster building philosophy to build around very long on either side of the ball and seem very dependent on coordinators to influence the draft.

Looking at our roster - especially on defense - there are clearly multiple philosophical styles reflected in players drafted and acquired over the years, which may be one reason the defense has never been able to be consistently good, and the offense seems to morph back and forth between being built for a strong running game to being a pass first offense.

1. We’ve had 3 different defensive coordinators in 5 years since Rod Marinelli left in 2019. Thats Mike Nolan, Dan Quinn, and now Mike Zimmer. And we’ve drafted players for each of those coordinators’ philosophies. So going into this draft, are we seeking speed, quickness, and versatility on defense as Dan Quinn clearly wanted? Or Mike Zimmer’s bigger upfront approach? And what if Zimmer is here a year?
  2. In the 8 years Dak has been here, he’s played for 3 different OCs including Scott Linehan, Kellen Moore and now Brian Schottenheimer who is essentially just the OC in name only for Big Mac. The offensive philosophy in 2016-19 was clearly built around having a big talented OL that could anchor a running game that helped the defense and the QB. Then Mike McCarthy came here and the offense became more pass first oriented. What are we building around. now?
  3. As a side note, in the 24 seasons of the 21st century, the Cowboys have used a 4-3 defense (Campo years) followed by a 3-4 defense (Parcells, Wade years) followed by a return to the 4-3 since 2011. And have employed 7 different DCs in this century.
All the better organizations of the last 20-30 years have a philosophy to build their roster around, and they draft and acquire free agents accordingly. Pittsburgh for example has been committed to the 3-4 defense for four decades and they draft accordingly. They have a very clear philosophy. The ravens also have had a consistent 3-4 defensive philosophy for nearly 3 decades. Look at how the niners are built- they value physicality on both sides of the ball.

So what exactly is the Cowboys roster building philosophy now? I’m not sure any of us have a clear idea. But what’s worse, I’m not sure the guys named Jones who are making all the big decisions really know either.

If this team plans on keeping Dak, (and it appears they do) they better recognize they need a bigger, more physical front 7 on defense and better have an excellent running game to compete with the big boys in the playoffs. IMO, Dak is good enough with that kind of support for this team to do better in the playoffs. But if this FO thinks Dak is capable of carrying this team on the strength of his arm and talent alone, we are headed for another frustrating season.

And with all the coaching staff on expiring or one year contract deals, what if the staff is blown up in 2024? A whole new philosophy?
Well I guess you would have to start with who makes the philosophy?

Is it your Lame Duck HC, or new 1 year DC???

How would that make any sense. How do you build a team for the future, with coaches that won't be here in the future?

So GM Jeruh decides the philosophy. We are now on the Holistic Philosophy approach for 2024.

Holistically meaning - owner Jerry, includes GM Jerruh, HC Jerrah and little Jerry - Stephen, to decide what the philosophy will be. Then change it the following year.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

So it's not Jerry's fault....lol

If you blow up the staff, you hire staff that fit your returning players and can coach up their weaknesses.