What is wrong with tanking?

Big_D

Reaction score
Webster definition of a loser, I.e. you, @PAPPYDOG aka Pappysmear and many others here:

a person who is incompetent or unable to succeed Don't waste your time on that loser.

Who doesn't love sitting home every January? I think you're the incompetent while pretending you're the smartest guy here. lol

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Who doesn't love sitting home every year in January? I think you're the incompetent while pretending you're the smartest guy here. lol
I’m as ignorant as the rest of us. But I’m not a loser and I’m not a quitter.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Webster definition of a loser, I.e. you, @PAPPYDOG aka Pappysmear and many others here:

a person who is incompetent or unable to succeed Don't waste your time on that loser.
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
Rockport we are not worthy of being in the presence of such a unique individual as yourself!!!

garyo1954

Reaction score
The real question is....

What if two teams in the same division decide to tank? Let's say Washington and the Giants.

Those four games hold the key to who wins the division. If they split with the Cowboys and lay down for the Eagles, it wasn't the schedule; it wasn't all out effort; it wasn't in the spirit of the game that the division was decided. It was the tank job carried out by the two tanking teams that decided the division champ.

Is that ethical or strategic? Or dirty pool?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I knew you couldn't cut the cord.
It's so cool that I'm never diametrically opposed to you, but you get all hot and bothered with me.
This is a gorgeous relationship.
Our Cowboy chord can never be cut!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:oldcouple:

Fizziksman

BanditHiro
Reaction score
nothing if you are a fan. If you are a player though, it doesn't bode well if you're ability to get another contract.

Johnny23

Reaction score
With all due respect, if you lose on purpose, you're a quitter! I hate quitters!
So you hate Jimmy Johnson. Because that 1989 season that led to the Super bowl victories was what a tank job looks like. Especially when we traded Herschel for assets. It's convenient for ya'll to overlook that though. It's very similar to what Houston did in earlier that decade to land Hakeem and Ralph Sampson. They punted 3 seasons.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Ethics in football went out the door around the time plastic helmets replaced leather helmets.

So, I say this: What's ethical about freezing a kicker? Or stashing healthy players on the injured unable to perform list?
Or coaches blowing smoke about their intended draftee and then choosing another?
What is ethical about fans making it impossible for the opposing QB to hear his cadence or a feigned injury to stop a clock? Or announcers breathlessly promoting an upcoming game between a 9-1 team against a 1-9 team?
Or deflated balls, stolen signals and sweetheart deals by municipalities to attract and keep NFL teams?

This proud rude boy from Leeds long ago gave up thinking there were ethics in professional NFL?

Me? I think of tanking as a strategic plan to make a football team better.
If you think tanking for 2021 is wrong, then I don't want to be right. So then go ahead enjoying your 8-8 seasons and the upcoming 3-13 season.

Holla and brings me a dollah!
Or holla and just owe me a dollar!
yeah and you keep enjoying team that mimics the Browns/Bengals every year no matter how many first rounders they have.

like Bill Parcells said, you are what your record says you are.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
how about we win games, then keep winning while drafting well with what the team deserves all while not having a quitter attitude in doing so leads to strong teams. Look at Steelers, do you ever see them with a top 10 pick? but yet they are in it just about every year. Thats because their coaches coach while their players believe in the system and each other. Don't get me wrong, I hate the Steelers, but I am not blind.

Look no matter what OPINION anyone shares here on this subject, not gonna change a thing. You can believe playing at your strengths is the way to go, or you can believe in the reincarnated annual version of the cleveland browns by "tanking" or quitting for a few spots higher in the draft, but will not mean anything to what the team is actually doing.

Last edited:

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So you hate Jimmy Johnson. Because that 1989 season that led to the Super bowl victories was what a tank job looks like. Especially when we traded Herschel for assets. It's convenient for ya'll to overlook that though. It's very similar to what Houston did in earlier that decade to land Hakeem and Ralph Sampson. They punted 3 seasons.
Yes. I hate quitters, what don't you understand?