What Jimmy Johnson said about cowboys, do you agree? i do.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Interpreting Jimmy Johnson
11:23 AM Fri, Nov 14, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Barry Horn E-mail News tips
Fox trotted out Jimmy Johnson and Brian Billick for a conference call the other day. A lot of folks questioned Billick about rumors he was next in line to be hired and fired as coach of the Detroit Lions. Basically, Billick said he couldn't talk about it.

Me? I asked Jimmy Johnson about the Cowboys. I believe my question was something like, "Can you name three unexpected things that have gone wrong so far this season?"

Here's Johnson's response: "The Cowboys have some problems but they're correctable problems. I think some teams that are extremely talented aren't really focused and can go out and beat up some bad teams but when they go up against a real physical team like the Cowboys did against Washington a few weeks ago, they run into a problem. With the way the NFC East is this year you're not going to get away with not being focused against those teams. You can't make mistakes and win in this league."

I didn't get to ask Johnson a follow-up. That's my fault. But if you read what Johnson had to say, isn't he really pointing the finger in one direction: Coaching?

Just asking.
:laugh2:

Smith22

Reaction score
Nope. Awful QB play and players not playing up to their ability. The coach can't go out and make the play for you.

MONT17

Reaction score
I love Jimmy (he signd my cowboys weekly with Barry n jerry on the cover) but unless he is willing to come fix the problem he shouldn't pile on!

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Smith22;2417917 said:
Nope. Awful QB play and players not playing up to their ability. The coach can't go out and make the play for you.

:rollyeyes:

Sorry, but it's obvious coaching is the #1 problem with the cowboys.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2417911 said:
I didn't get to ask Johnson a follow-up. That's my fault. But if you read what Johnson had to say, isn't he really pointing the finger in one direction: Coaching?
:laugh2:

Absolutely! Jerry Jones pointed the finger also to Wade Phillips when he mandated that Phillips get more directly involved with the defense. And on Offense, Jones Criticised Brad Johnson for not getting T.O. the ball, which I view as Jones' passive-agrressive way of calling out Garrett without actually having ot do so. And I say that because Jones hand-picked Garrett to be his trophy O.C.. Whover Jones blames on offense, the fact remains that the team was unprepared ot play with a capable backup, and that falls on management (including Jones) and coaching.

djtavo

Jesus is Lord
Reaction score
Injuries is the answer....

Look at the Patriots last nite, they have a "mastermind" as a head coach.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
djtavo;2417989 said:
Injuries is the answer....

Look at the Patriots last nite, they have a "mastermind" as a head coach.

And cuz of great coaching they got 400 yards and 3 TDs out of a guy that hadn't played football since high school.

We got absolute crap out of a veteran that had won a superbowl.

I say again... it's coaching.

kramskoi

Reaction score
Smith22;2417917 said:

no but they can instill purpose, planning and production by holding players accountable, not by simply allowing them to police themselves...None of these guys, save Owens, have any championships to their claim...they are'nt battled hardened, they are'nt focus oriented...they have no record of postseason success.

When Switzer took over, he inherited a team that could police itself because it had already achieved greatness and knew what was required to repeat that feat...these guys are reactionary right now, not proactive...everything is "happening" to them instead of them "controlling" their own destiny...they are still immature as a team...they lack the Spartan will to match their Roman appetite for success.

Jones is making an assumption on the premise of Switzer's success after Johnson left. He is dismissing both Phillips playoff record and his coaching demeanor in the process, not to mention the tendency for this team to collapse as the second season approaches.

He seems desperate to take credit as he did with Switzer, and to prove to skeptics that he can be a hands on Owner/GM without undermining the relationship between the coaches and the players.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Rack;2417993 said:
And cuz of great coaching they got 400 yards and 3 TDs out of a guy that hadn't played football since high school.

We got absolute crap out of a veteran that had won a superbowl.

I say again... it's coaching.

It's mostly on the coaching, however, when you put in a 67 year old QB with the arm of Janet Reno...well, that is on Jerry! :mad:

Ohhhh....but don't forget that the players lost their "technique"....:rolleyes:

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
5Stars;2417995 said:
It's mostly on the coaching, however, when you put in a 67 year old QB with the arm of Janet Reno...well, that is on Jerry! :mad:

Ohhhh....but don't forget that the players lost their "technique"....:rolleyes:

His age is irrelevant. He had a weak arm even in his prime. A good coach would have made changes to the offense to bet fit what a weak-armed QB is good at (Run more west coast style plays).

I said that even before Johnson took the field. You can't run the same offense with him in the game that you do with Romo in the game. Any coach that tries to do it is a moron.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Rack;2418004 said:
His age is irrelevant. He had a weak arm even in his prime. A good coach would have made changes to the offense to bet fit what a weak-armed QB is good at (Run more west coast style plays).

I said that even before Johnson took the field. You can't run the same offense with him in the game that you do with Romo in the game. Any coach that tries to do it is a moron.

Whatever...regardless, someone should line up the whole staff, Jerry, the coaches, players and water boy, and slap all of them across the face with a fajita!!!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rack;2418004 said:

:fact: in bold

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DallasEast;2418022 said:
:fact: in bold
Only problem with that fact is that BJ couldn't even get the ball out on short passes. Forget arm strength, his accuracy was appalling to the extreme.

Rudy

Reaction score
You can pin some of it on Red Jesus not altering his gameplan enough to better fit Brad Johnson's (I don't want to call them strengths, we'll call them) opposite of weaknesses....but really the bottom line just read that Brad Johnson isn't a good enough quarterback to play in the NFL any longer.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
I would just like to say I agree 100% with every word Rack has spoken in this thread.

thank you.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2418040 said:
Only problem with that fact is that BJ couldn't even get the ball out on short passes. Forget arm strength, his accuracy was appalling to the extreme.

So true.

There's no reason Johnson should have even been the back up this year there was definitely better QB's out there.