What Jimmy Johnson said about cowboys, do you agree? i do.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2418040 said:
Only problem with that fact is that BJ couldn't even get the ball out on short passes. Forget arm strength, his accuracy was appalling to the extreme.

Now, that is a FACT ALERT!

A simple slant to T.O. and the ball was behind him? You can't run a West Coast without some accuracy. Then, those sidline routes where the ball took at least 3 minutes to get thereand you could fly an F-16 under the ball during it's travel?

cowboyed

Reaction score
5Stars;2417995 said:
It's mostly on the coaching, however, when you put in a 67 year old QB with the arm of Janet Reno...well, that is on Jerry! :mad:

Ohhhh....but don't forget that the players lost their "technique"....:rolleyes:

It is on Jerry to a degree because he is the GM but when your head coach and offensive coordinator tell you that Brad Johnson is a good backup candidate (based on preseason evaluation) then what is Jones supposed to do, overrule them?

Back then I am sure there would be finger pointing at what a meddling GM and owner Jerry was for overruling Brad Johnson. In fact fans were jostling for Johnson when Romo was struggling in the last game or two earlier this season.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2418040 said:
Only problem with that fact is that BJ couldn't even get the ball out on short passes. Forget arm strength, his accuracy was appalling to the extreme.

Jason Garrett is at fault for not adjusting his play calling to Brad Johnson's greatest strengths, even though his greatest strengths are absolute weaknesses. Jason Garrett also comes to fault for not recommending an upgrade over Johnson, as after all, he was a former QB and QB coach.

And Jerry Jones is at fault for making Brad Johnson the backup QB, even after this was cleared by Garrett. As the GM, Jones needs to know when the coaches are wrong, and superceed their poor judjment. Jerry, instead, decided to turn a blind eye until it was too late and the thirrd-stringer we picked up ended up being the best scrap left over on the scrap-heap.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;2418040 said:
Granted, however Jerry Jones made his bed and that bed was Brad Johnson as backup quarterback. Our options were limited to what he was able to do best. As appalling as his short passes were, his intermediate and "deep" (pun not intended) passes were even worse. Shortening his receivers routes would have been the best alternative to help correct a bad situation (e.g. his short passing accuracy).

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DallasEast;2418155 said:
Granted, however Jerry Jones made his bed and that bed was Brad Johnson as backup quarterback. Our options were limited to what he was able to do best. As appalling as his short passes were, his intermediate and "deep" (pun not intended) passes were even worse. Shortening his receivers routes would have been the best alternative to help correct a bad situation (e.g. his short passing accuracy).
Not disputing Garrett should've done a changeup. Just think Brad's accuracy was so awful that unless it was a run play, we would've gotten the same results.

We saw him throw a couple passes beyond 15 yards and they were off target. We saw him throw screens and they were behind the players heads. There was no lemonade in that lemon...and we were lucky to get one win out of him.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
DallasEast;2418155 said:

Dude! How much shorter do you want them?

It's 3rd and 8 and Brad throws a checkdown to Barber 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage or three yards beyond the line of scrimmage!!

Big Dakota

Reaction score
DallasEast;2418155 said:

You can try slap as much lipstick on that pig as you can........well you know what it is.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;2418162 said:
Not disputing Garrett should've done a changeup. Just think Brad's accuracy was so awful that unless it was a run play, we would've gotten the same results.

We saw him throw a couple passes beyond 15 yards and they were off target. We saw him throw screens and they were behind the players heads. There was no lemonade in that lemon...and we were lucky to get one win out of him.
Personally, I believe we could have gotten more out of him with a few in-game adjustments and better offensive line play. Johnson may have gotten into a better overall, game long rhythm by keeping practically everything short after subtracting the intermediate and deep passes. I doubt that he had any confidence in the offensive line to protect him as long as he wanted and it affected most of his throws. I'm not saying that's a practical expectation for any quarterback to have, just that I believe that it was true of Johnson.
5Stars;2418164 said:
Dude! How much shorter do you want them?

It's 3rd and 8 and Brad throws a checkdown to Barber 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage or three yards beyond the line of scrimmage!!
See above.

Big Dakota;2418165 said:
You can try slap as much lipstick on that pig as you can........well you know what it is.
:laugh2:

Still, you play to win. In my opinion, enough adjustments were not made for Johnson to be more effective. He wasn't going to instantly change into Romo II, but he could have been better utilized. Just my two cents.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
I'll go a step farther and say Jason has been a downright disappointment so far in 08.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Smith22;2417917 said:
Nope. Awful QB play and players not playing up to their ability. The coach can't go out and make the play for you.

I disagree. My theory is that when a team loaded with talent plays poorly, not focused like, then 9 out of 10 times that is coaching. Everyone likes to say the players play the game and thats that. Well, then just fire the coaches, who needs 'em.

If these same group of players played for Pittsburgh, they would excel more to the talent level they are capable of. I believe that, why? because coaches like Wade will say something like "I don't know why the defense struggled, we will find out..." after a game.

I know it is not nearly at the same level, but I remember coaching a group of young kids on the basketball court. They were not that good and started losing a number of games, but I designed practices to boost work ethic, to never give up, and never settle to just play their own position and that be it. I motivated and worked them, and they eventually beat all the teams and won the championship game. Coaching has alot to do with it.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
DallasEast;2418188 said:
Personally, I believe we could have gotten more out of him with a few in-game adjustments and better offensive line play. Johnson may have gotten into a better overall, game long rhythm by keeping practically everything short after subtracting the intermediate and deep passes. I doubt that he had any confidence in the offensive line to protect him as long as he wanted and it affected most of his throws. I'm not saying that's a practical expectation for any quarterback to have, just that I believe that it was true of Johnson.
See above.

Still, you play to win. In my opinion, enough adjustments were not made for Johnson to be more effective. He wasn't going to instantly change into Romo II, but he could have been better utilized. Just my two cents.

Well, let me lend you 13 more cents and you can go down to the street corner where the little kids are selling Kool-Aid...!

;)

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
5Stars;2418292 said:
Well, let me lend you 13 more cents and you can go down to the street corner where the little kids are selling Kool-Aid...!

;)
No can do. I've heard they're selling iGrape, iRaspberry, iCherry, etc., flavors. Yuck. :puke:

:)

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
DallasEast;2418188 said:
See above.

defenses had a field day keeping all their defenders in the box knowing johnson could not throw beyond 10 yards. That had dual benefits. Do you remember how the announcers would talk about how hard it is to throw in the redzone because all players are bunched up in a small area? That is basically what we had with Johnson. The whole field was one big redzone. By adjusting WR routes to be shorter would be magnifying that redzone effect. It also allowed the defense to watch for the run. So the best option or adjustment the coaches should of made would of been to yank Johnson from the game.

Smith22

Reaction score
Bill Parcells couldn't get 13-3 out of the Cowboys. We also lost to a Seahawks team that was decimated with injuries in the secondary and we failed to take advantage of the street players the Seahawks brought in.

Almost everyone and there mother claimed our defense would excel once Zimmer left, yet we still struggle on defense. Sooner or later, the players need to start taking some blame.

It seems that no matter who we have as a coach or coordinator, we fail to live up to expectations.

The players seem to remain the one constant in the equation......

AKATheRake

Reaction score
CowboyFan74;2417920 said:
I'm sick of Jimmy Johnson:mad::mad::mad:

Alright you're entitled to your opinion but what did the guy say that was wrong? Let's keep in mind that Jimmy is a paid analyst and a legendary part of the Cowboys organization whether Jerry wants to admit it or not.

Here's what Jimmy said again:

"The Cowboys have some problems but they're correctable problems. I think some teams that are extremely talented aren't really focused and can go out and beat up some bad teams but when they go up against a real physical team like the Cowboys did against Washington a few weeks ago, they run into a problem. With the way the NFC East is this year you're not going to get away with not being focused against those teams. You can't make mistakes and win in this league."

None of this is untrue, he didn't directly call out any coach or any particular individual on the team. Now the OP did, not Jimmy. Jimmy is right, this team hasn't played hungry or focused enough to win games that their abilities should allow them. Teams can't make mistakes like we have this season and expect to win. I don't understand why most on this thread are chewing Jimmy up for the truth and he did it in a very respectful professional manner not calling anyone in particular out.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Smith22;2418340 said:
Bill Parcells couldn't get 13-3 out of the Cowboys. We also lost to a Seahawks team that was decimated with injuries in the secondary and we failed to take advantage of the street players the Seahawks brought in.

Almost everyone and there mother claimed our defense would excel once Zimmer left, yet we still struggle on defense. Sooner or later, the players need to start taking some blame.

It seems that no matter who we have as a coach or coordinator, we fail to live up to expectations.

The players seem to remain the one constant in the equation......

funny you mentioned Parcells because it was Parcell's team that wade took over, they went 13-3, but look at what Wade done to this team. Thanks for helping me make my point.

Smith22

Reaction score
RW Hitman;2418359 said:
funny you mentioned Parcells because it was Parcell's team that wade took over, they went 13-3, but look at what Wade done to this team. Thanks for helping me make my point.

Please tell me what he did. I'm listening.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
cowboyed;2418119 said:
It is on Jerry to a degree because he is the GM but when your head coach and offensive coordinator tell you that Brad Johnson is a good backup candidate (based on preseason evaluation) then what is Jones supposed to do, overrule them?

No. You are supposed to say "What is the "GM" supposed to do, overrule them"? And the answer is yes. But our "GM" doesn't know his *** from a hole in the ground regarding football players.

Jerry is not a GM. You could spot him the "G" and he still couldn't pull it off.
He's a stubborn, old, owner that refuses to acknowledge that he doesn't have any idea on how to build a football team. Period. Any GM in their right mind would've seen Johnson as a wasted roster spot. He was too stubborn to pull the guy, for crying out loud. That'd be admitting a mistake on his part and he will NOT do that. It's a damn shame that our Cowboys are smack-dab in the middle of a madman's dream. Wasted talent, coaching and money.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Smith22;2418362 said:
Please tell me what he did. I'm listening.

are you asking me what Parcells did? or what Wade did to dismantle the team (not totally IMO because I still have hope that talent will overcome the teacher)?

If you are asking me what Parcells did, then that is easy. A great portion of this team was built in the Bill Parcells era. He put the team together. So last year they were still Bill's team and riding on Bill's coattail.

If you are asking what Wade did (or didn't do depending on how you look at it), then we can answer that too, although I will have to be more general because I fail to remember the numerous news and quotes from Wade that reveals to me that he does run a very loose ship.
It is pretty bad when your team's owner has to go to the coach to tell him to help with defense, but then again when the headcoach says stuff like "I thought the defense was called as designed" and gives players off an extra day off because he thought they "gave it their all" after a loss, that is beyond me. The players said their headcoach has never attended any of the defensive team film sessions, does that not shock you? especially when the headcoach is a defensive minded coach....

I was one of those people who defended Wade when they called his training camp "Camp Cupcake", but when you keep adding 2 + 2 and it still comes out to be 4, then sometimes it is time to come to realization that it is what it is.

I hold out hope that this team can overcome the laid back atmosphere and put on a strong 2nd half of season.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
5Stars;2418009 said:
Whatever...regardless, someone should line up the whole staff, Jerry, the coaches, players and water boy, and slap all of them across the face with a fajita!!!

One would say that's a "Dish" best served cold.

Which would be incorrect.

WoodysGirl;2418040 said:

I didn't say it would have made BJ a "Good" QB. But there's not doubt whatsoever it would have made him performance a helluva lot better than having him run the same offensive gameplan they were running with Romo.