What Jimmy Johnson said about cowboys, do you agree? i do.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
CowboyFan74;2417920 said:
I'm sick of Jimmy Johnson:mad::mad::mad:

Me too.

Let's see, in the past year and a half Dallas is a combined 18-7. This includes a losses to the following

- A Pats team that went 16-0
- The Eagles (hated rival)
- The Commanders in a game that didn't mean anything to Dallas
- The Commanders again (a quality team and hated rival)
- Arizona in OT at Arizona

Then the other 2 losses were with Brad Johnson at QB and the plethora of other injuries the team has suffered. Not exactly an underachieving team in my mind.

I'm not saying that everything has been just peachy keen and there haven't been coaching gaffes, but to expect almost near perfection from any team and any coaching staff is just unreasonable. Parcells made his fair share of mistakes and so did Jimmy as well. It happens.

I think if anything (provided we stay reasonably healthy), the rest of this season will give a far better indicator of what this coaching staff is made of. But for now to act like they've underachieved is either silly or really setting the bar so high that it's almost unreasonable.

And as big of a Parcells fan as I am, this defense has been better under Wade than it was under Parcells except for 2003...where they couldn't sack the QB and once again fizzled hard down the stretch.

YAKUZA

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
RW Hitman;2418566 said:
are you asking me what Parcells did? or what Wade did to dismantle the team (not totally IMO because I still have hope that talent will overcome the teacher)?

What dismantling has been done?

No more Terry Glenn...a guy whose knee is shot?
No more Julius Jones?
No more Kenyon Coleman?
No more Jacques Reeves?
No more Abram Elam?

Outside of getting rid of Ayodele (who was replaced by Zach who is just better than Ayodele) and Fergy (who was replaced by Ratliff who is just better than him as well) I fail to see the dismantling of the team. Unless you really loved Dedric Ward, Willie Pile and Martin Grammatica.

If you are asking me what Parcells did, then that is easy. A great portion of this team was built in the Bill Parcells era. He put the team together. So last year they were still Bill's team and riding on Bill's coattail.

Then why couldn't Bill do better than 9-7? Why would he refuse to do something about the kicking situation? Why would he ignore the free safety situation? Why would he stick with Marco Rivera?

Love Parcells and he rebuilt this team, but Wade didn't ride any coattails. Riding coattails would be like inheriting a 12-4 team and taking them to 11-13 wins the next season and perhaps going to the Super Bowl. By the same token you could say a new coach that takes a 6-10 team to a 10-6 record his first year was just another case of a coach catching a tan off of another coach's sunshine.

YAKUZA

Cowboys2008

Reaction score
Rack;2417980 said:
:rollyeyes:

Sorry, but it's obvious coaching is the #1 problem with the cowboys.

Yknow, you're right on the nail with this one. It is coaching to a great deal. Parcells wasn't perfect by any means, but this is an area he very well could have coached us out of. A little game/clock management, the defense not allowing games to get out of control, protecting the ball first and foremost and eliminating costly penalties. Things he would have tried drilling into this teams head and not allowing any excuses for.

Wade on the other hand though; Giggles. That "Good Ole Boy". He should be coaching in Hazzard County, not Dallas.

smoovb

Reaction score
Rack;2417980 said:
:rollyeyes:

Sorry, but it's obvious coaching is the #1 problem with the cowboys.

I absolutely agree. Take the Falcons for example. The team is comprised of a hodgepodge group of players. The coaches are doing a good job of using the skill set they have and applying it to their offensive and defensive schemes. Now I personally believe we have way more talent than the Falcons do. And before you say it, yes their division isnt as tough as the NFC East. But I would venture to say the teams in the South arent pushovers. All this said, how is it that we continue to under perform? Coaching. Why didnt we have a proper back up QB when the time came? Coaching. What is going to turn things around? Coaching??? I'm super happy to see some of our star players come back after injury. But I think we are still in a bad way with our coaches. Just my two cents.

pugilist

Stick N Move
Reaction score
it's so obvious it's poor coaching it's almost sickening... wait, scratch that... it is sickening

Hey Jimmy, :hammer:

khiladi

Reaction score
Cowboys2008;2418965 said:
Yknow, you're right on the nail with this one. It is coaching to a great deal. Parcells wasn't perfect by any means, but this is an area he very well could have coached us out of. A little game/clock management, the defense not allowing games to get out of control, protecting the ball first and foremost and eliminating costly penalties. Things he would have tried drilling into this teams head and not allowing any excuses for.

Wade on the other hand though; Giggles. That "Good Ole Boy". He should be coaching in Hazzard County, not Dallas.

Did you see this team against the Saints in Parcell's last year? What happened after that disaster?

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;2418836 said:
What dismantling has been done?

YAKUZA

well, I am not saying so much as the players as I am the attitude and ethics the coach takes into practice and the game. There are some stuff I did not like about Parcells, but I am beginning to not like alot more about Wade.

Wade is so laid back and it shows up on the field.

My point was more the lack of coaching is where most of our problems lie. we have the talent, but they do not play up to it.
Now you can argue one or two players being lackadaisy, and that would be a problem with those one or two players, but when an entire team plays so crappy, loose, soft, and laid back then it is coaching IMO.

I would like to bring in Pittsburgh's coaching staff and structure because they always squeeze the most out of their players good or not.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
khiladi;2419014 said:
Did you see this team against the Saints in Parcell's last year? What happened after that disaster?

Romo dropped a FG snap and it gave us a loss to the Seahawks in the playoffs.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
RW Hitman;2419061 said:
well, I am not saying so much as the players as I am the attitude and ethics the coach takes into practice and the game. There are some stuff I did not like about Parcells, but I am beginning to not like alot more about Wade.

Wade is so laid back and it shows up on the field.

My point was more the lack of coaching is where most of our problems lie. we have the talent, but they do not play up to it.
Now you can argue one or two players being lackadaisy, and that would be a problem with those one or two players, but when an entire team plays so crappy, loose, soft, and laid back then it is coaching IMO.

I would like to bring in Pittsburgh's coaching staff and structure because they always squeeze the most out of their players good or not.

I'm begining to think otherwise at this point. VERY sad to admit. How many coaches are we gonna go thru acheiving mediocriy before we say maybe it's the talent, or lack thereof? Desire? Committment? Ability to "get up" and play above the level of any given opponent?

Smith22

Reaction score
Seven;2419069 said:
I'm begining to think otherwise at this point. VERY sad to admit. How many coaches are we gonna go thru acheiving mediocriy before we say maybe it's the talent, or lack thereof? Desire? Committment? Ability to "get up" and play above the level of any given opponent?

Thank you. The one constant has been the players, and that can't be argued.

Cowboys2008

Reaction score
khiladi;2419014 said:

Against his protege. And I'm not saying Parcells was anything close to perfect, that last season with us is proof. But I kind of think Parcells was done trying for the most part with us that last season. The signing of TO seemed to rub him the wrong way and started moving this team in a general direction away from his philosophy. There were many games though that his style of coaching literally saved us from. His first season with us when players were actually ready to buy into something new, he performed miracles.

And one final word on Parcells' magic which is now entirely broken and apparently damaged goods, costing us a lot in the grand scheme of things; Flozell.

Look at him before and after "good coaching". He's back to his Pre-Parcells days when he lived on the bubble.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Cowboys2008;2419088 said:
Against his protege. And I'm not saying Parcells was anything close to perfect, that last season with us is proof. But I kind of think Parcells was done trying for the most part with us that last season. The signing of TO seemed to rub him the wrong way and started moving this team in a general direction away from his philosophy. There were many games though that his style of coaching literally saved us from. His first season with us when players were actually ready to buy into something new, he performed miracles.

And one final word on Parcells' magic which is now entirely broken and apparently damaged goods, costing us a lot in the grand scheme of things; Flozell.

Look at him before and after "good coaching". He's back to his Pre-Parcells days when he lived on the bubble.

Good post.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
true it has to be the players, but when the players say they want to be treated like professionals, but dont want to pay the price to be winners;

champions have to work extra harder, be accountable,

its true parcells was a task master, and he couldnt get the players motivated

only way to get this done is to have a coach or owner that will hold the players accountable,

we all know wade isnt that type of coach to do that;, thats the rub,

and this has been a sloppy football team for about a year and half now

that comes from the coaching, and probably ownership

till jerry jones does what he says and hold the players, and coaches accountable, that jerry said he would find the players or coaches that didnt put all out, and they would no longer be on the team

thats what you have to do, you have to have disciipline on the team, and the players have to fear the Head Coach;

that has indirectly to come from jerry jones, he has to back up the head coach that wants to cut or trade players that dont do the work, extra practice and goof off,

thats the key to me

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
when the media has tried to get wade to say when the players will be accountable and all wade will say is, im accountable, but wade wouldnt make the players accountable

thats the rub, and what has to change on this team

till then nothing will change

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
its kinda like steven jackson said with the rams, we knew if we could get on top of them, their body language told us we could, that we could beat them;

and the rams did,

the Commanders said, the defense players were yelling at each other and arguing etc, and so did the giants,

then when burnett comes out and says that did happen, then that goes back to the coaching, we all know the problem we had with the defensive coordinator, and wade had to take over for the tampa bay game and we saw part of the results, but what we didnt know till a few weeks ago, that wade doesnt attend any defensive meetings at alll

now add this up, wade hires a special teams coach, that now 4 other of our coaches have to help out, did wade sanction the special teams coach no,

even albert breer whom wade asked for advice told him, wade everyone basically knows that you dont put emphasis on special teams and you dont believe in it, and thats how you lose some ball games, and thats how we lost the cardinal game, a kickoff returned for a touchdown as you all know, and a punt blocked with losing our star punter to boot,

then the defensive coordinator issue, then the hestitation of good ole wade, when he was going to put in bollinger, then he wasnt, then he was, that reflects back to your team and your coaching staff etc, when you hesitate, that shows to me lack of true leadership from the head coach

its like parcells said, you have to be ready for all scenarios at all times, i am beginning to think wade isnt and he doenst get them ready for such scenarios

then you add in when there is no one making the players accountable, either wade or jerry jones, then where or how would you expect discipline on this team, and the dedication, heart to want to win, and play hard,

add all of that up and you see what you get

finally, look at wades history, buffalo bills, no playoff win but playoff loses
atlanta, loss, denver loss, no playoff wins, and in dallas no playoff win,

what did good ole wade do the bye week, he let the players off without having them accountable to keep in shape, hit the cardivacular sled that the linemen have to use daily at least one hour a day

when you dont have discipline, you have a sloppy football team, and saying everything is going to be all right isnt the answer.

thats what i see,

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Seven;2419069 said:

well coincedentally that sounds about right, but before the last few years our talent was nowhere near what it is now.

We only had TO, Witten, Barber, Romo, Leonard Davis, Columbo, Zach Thomas, Ware for a few years. Before them, those positions were up in the air.

I noticed you failed to mention the other constant, and that is our GM. Does his interference prevent coaches from tailoring a team according to the coaches style? I am not sure on this answer myself, but lets not leave anything off the table.

Good coaches take a team of nobodies and makes them play as a unit to be reckoned with. Like them or not, a few teams come to mind and they are Pittsburgh, New England, Eagles, Green Bay, along with a few honorable mentions being teams like Green Bay, Tampa Bay, Tennessee, Denver.

You cannot honestly tell me this team does not look laid back, soft, and just confused at times right now. Those are a coach's problem.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2419170 said:
its kinda like steven jackson said with the rams, we knew if we could get on top of them, their body language told us we could, that we could beat them;

and the rams did,

the Commanders said, the defense players were yelling at each other and arguing etc, and so did the giants,

then when burnett comes out and says that did happen, then that goes back to the coaching, we all know the problem we had with the defensive coordinator, and wade had to take over for the tampa bay game and we saw part of the results, but what we didnt know till a few weeks ago, that wade doesnt attend any defensive meetings at alll

now add this up, wade hires a special teams coach, that now 4 other of our coaches have to help out, did wade sanction the special teams coach no,

even albert breer whom wade asked for advice told him, wade everyone basically knows that you dont put emphasis on special teams and you dont believe in it, and thats how you lose some ball games, and thats how we lost the cardinal game, a kickoff returned for a touchdown as you all know, and a punt blocked with losing our star punter to boot,

then the defensive coordinator issue, then the hestitation of good ole wade, when he was going to put in bollinger, then he wasnt, then he was, that reflects back to your team and your coaching staff etc, when you hesitate, that shows to me lack of true leadership from the head coach

its like parcells said, you have to be ready for all scenarios at all times, i am beginning to think wade isnt and he doenst get them ready for such scenarios

then you add in when there is no one making the players accountable, either wade or jerry jones, then where or how would you expect discipline on this team, and the dedication, heart to want to win, and play hard,

what did good ole wade do the bye week, he let the players off without having them accountable to keep in shape, hit the cardivacular sled that the linemen have to use daily at least one hour a day

when you dont have discipline, you have a sloppy football team, and saying everything is going to be all right isnt the answer.

thats what i see,

I absolutely agree with everything you said, and is exactly what I wanted to point out about Wade.
Thanks for a great and truthful post.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2419170 said:

and the rams did,

thats what i see,

I agree, however, the problems with this team are alot deeper than Wade Phillips.

However, I like how you presented a very clear and consistent pattern. Denoting how several players on opposing teams talk about just how confused the defensive players look.

Why is this type of stuff being tolerated at this point in the season.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I love Jimmy but he hasn't coached for about a decade and wasn't very good at that time anyway.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Rack;2418004 said:
His age is irrelevant. He had a weak arm even in his prime. A good coach would have made changes to the offense to bet fit what a weak-armed QB is good at (Run more west coast style plays).

I said that even before Johnson took the field. You can't run the same offense with him in the game that you do with Romo in the game. Any coach that tries to do it is a moron.

In retrospect you're right. But you can't look at that particular problem like that and see it for what it is. There were questions about Johnson precamp. He came in and looked good. He threw the ball downfield adequately. He made the outs and most of the throws necessary to run a mildly detuned Romo offense.

It's Johnson's fault for looking good in preseason and laying a clunker in the games. Why not pull him? Because a reasonable man thinks a seasoned pro will play like a pro. I had expectations esp post the TB game that Johnson could possibly beat the Giants. Well he laid an egg. I'd like to know why but in the end he could no longer do it. You put an inexperienced QB in and you see some occ glimmer but for the most part you are screwed ladies and gentlemen.

Laying that on Jason or Wade or even Jerry is ok but only in the sense they should have had more than one backup here. From day one. That's on Jerry mostly then Wade then Garrett. But don't think they're stupid and the problem is simple to dissect.

RW Hitman;2418328 said:
defenses had a field day keeping all their defenders in the box knowing johnson could not throw beyond 10 yards. That had dual benefits. Do you remember how the announcers would talk about how hard it is to throw in the redzone because all players are bunched up in a small area? That is basically what we had with Johnson. The whole field was one big redzone. By adjusting WR routes to be shorter would be magnifying that redzone effect. It also allowed the defense to watch for the run. So the best option or adjustment the coaches should of made would of been to yank Johnson from the game.

You're right. But Garrett was screwed because Johnson was incapable of doing anything. Confidence??? Who knows but Garrett can't do a damn thing with a QB who performs at a 25 or less QB rating and can't throw a friggin pass if anyone's life depended on it. It was too late people.

Smith22;2418340 said:
Bill Parcells couldn't get 13-3 out of the Cowboys. We also lost to a Seahawks team that was decimated with injuries in the secondary and we failed to take advantage of the street players the Seahawks brought in.

Almost everyone and there mother claimed our defense would excel once Zimmer left, yet we still struggle on defense. Sooner or later, the players need to start taking some blame.

It seems that no matter who we have as a coach or coordinator, we fail to live up to expectations.

The players seem to remain the one constant in the equation......

Yeah. But coaches coach players and teams. They need to drag the most out of all of them individually and collectively. 2 + 2 > 5. Another chicken egg complicated question and answer. Is the the players or coaches. Well, yes.

Seven;2418498 said:
No. You are supposed to say "What is the "GM" supposed to do, overrule them"? And the answer is yes. But our "GM" doesn't know his *** from a hole in the ground regarding football players.

Jerry is not a GM. You could spot him the "G" and he still couldn't pull it off.
He's a stubborn, old, owner that refuses to acknowledge that he doesn't have any idea on how to build a football team. Period. Any GM in their right mind would've seen Johnson as a wasted roster spot. He was too stubborn to pull the guy, for crying out loud. That'd be admitting a mistake on his part and he will NOT do that. It's a damn shame that our Cowboys are smack-dab in the middle of a madman's dream. Wasted talent, coaching and money.

another wrong assumption, belief, opinion. Jerry is not terrible. He gets some stuff right. He's too meddlesome. He's also incrediably resourceful and motivated. It is not a simple problem with one magic bullet people.

Cowboys2008;2419088 said:

No. NO. NO! Flozell is hurt. The team played so wll people on the outside were laughing at the time Tony had to dissect teams apart. The problems occurred. But not all coaching and not all player intensity yada yada. Way too many injuries coupled with mystifying enigmas, decisions, and coaching problems along with some mental problems, mistakes and turnovers. All the things that kill even talented teams.

cowboyjoe;2419170 said:

and the rams did,

thats what i see,

We are sloppy and I'm certain we are confused at times. But don't think you've discovered the Holy Grail when a seasoned opponent throws down that gaunlet at times. Most BS with a sprinkling of cognitive truths.

Maikeru-sama;2419360 said:
I agree, however, the problems with this team are alot deeper than Wade Phillips.

However, I like how you presented a very clear and consistent pattern. Denoting how several players on opposing teams talk about just how confused the defensive players look.

Why is this type of stuff being tolerated at this point in the season.

It isn't being tolerated. It's being looked at and some changes are being made. Getting the main players on the field at strength will correct most of the problems and the others are correctable with coaching and players attention to detail and focused efforts.

This team hasn't fallen that far. Have some faith, find some backbone, ditch the hysteria and finger pointing and watch the game hoping most of our players are at full strength.