What keeping the same core of big paid players has produced

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I will start with the assumption that most of us would agree that the “core” players this team has built around the last 5-8 years are the players based on their contracts and/or future contracts. Doesn’t mean we all agree they are worth it, just that these are the players the Cowboys have chosen to keep and pay big bucks to keep:

CORE PLAYERS UNDER BIG CONTRACTS
  • Dak Prescott (been here since 2016- signed a 4 year, $160 million contract in 2021, and is negotiating an extension)
  • Tyron Smith (been here since 2011- signed big in 2014 and has been extended multiple times- probably not back in 2024)
  • Zack Martin (been here since 2014- just signed a 2 yr $36 million extension)
  • DeMarcus Lawrence (been here since 2014- signed a 3 year, $40 mil contract in 2022)
  • Michael Gallup (been here since 2018- signed a 5 year $57 million contract in 2022)
  • Tony Pollard (been here since 2019- was on the franchise tag last year for $10 million)
  • Donovan Wilson (been here since 2019- signed a 3 yr 21 million contract in 2023)
  • Trevon Diggs (been here since 2020- signed a 5 year $97 million contract in 2023)
  • Terrance Steele (been here since 2020- signed a 5 year $82 million contract in 2023)
CORE PLAYERS PROJECTED TO GET BIG CONTRACTS (there will be others too but these are obvious)
  • Cedee Lamb (been here since 2020. Will get a big deal soon)
  • Micah Parsons (been here since 2021. Will get a huge deal soon too)
So here’s my big point- with all the money sunk into all these players over multiple years, with two different HCs, multiple coordinators and assistant coaches - THIS CORE GROUP OF PLAYERS HAVE WON 3 WILD CARD PLAYOFF GAMES. If having these guys is soooo important, why haven’t we done better in the playoffs?

So here’s some questions:
1. if this core group hasn’t been able to accomplish more than 3 wild card wins in 10 years, why are we “running it back” thinking 2024 is going to be “the year”?
2. Why do assume these guys are all worth keeping together when having them together with multiple coaching staffs hasn’t gotten much further than an occasional wild card win.
3. Are we really just a couple of players away from winning multiple playoff games? I can’t see how that’s true.

Irv88

Reaction score
What’s the difference between us and the bills, bengals, chargers, etc? Teams with big name quarterbacks (PAID), good core players and big expectations. Their fans feel the same.

Heck, the bills probably peaked in 2020 and people don’t even know it.

Mahommes is the issue.Dude is a lock for the AFC championship every year. Dude can be down 10 points in any playoff game against a great team and come back at will.

That should be the focus.

It’s mahommes league and he is just letting you play in it.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I will start with the assumption that most of us would agree that the “core” players this team has built around the last 5-8 years are the players based on their contracts and/or future contracts. Doesn’t mean we all agree they are worth it, just that these are the players the Cowboys have chosen to keep and pay big bucks to keep:

• Dak Prescott (been here since 2016- signed a 4 year, $160 million contract in 2021, and is negotiating an extension)
  • Tyron Smith (been here since 2011- signed big in 2014 and has been extended multiple times- probably not back in 2024)
  • DeMarcus Lawrence (been here since 2014- signed a 3 year, $40 mil contract in 2022)
  • Michael Gallup (been here since 2018- signed a 5 year $57 million contract in 2022)
  • Tony Pollard (been here since 2019- was on the franchise tag last year for $10 million)
  • Donovan Wilson (been here since 2019- signed a 3 yr 21 million contract in 2023)
  • Trevon Diggs (been here since 2020- signed a 5 year $97 million contract in 2023)
  • Terrance Steele (been here since 2020- signed a 5 year $82 million contract in 2023)
CORE PLAYERS PROJECTED TO GET BIG CONTRACTS (there will be others too but these are obvious)
So here’s my big point- with all the money sunk into all these players over multiple years, with two different HCs, multiple coordinators and assistant coaches - THIS CORE GROUP OF PLAYERS HAVE WON 3 WILD CARD PLAYOFF GAMES. If having these guys is soooo important, why haven’t we done better in the playoffs?

1. if this core group hasn’t been able to accomplish more than 3 wild card wins in 10 years, why are we “running it back” thinking 2024 is going to be “the year”?
2. Why do assume these guys are all worth keeping together when having them together with multiple coaching staffs hasn’t gotten much further than an occasional wild card win.
3. Are we really just a couple of players away from winning multiple playoff games? I can’t see how that’s true.
Three 12 win seasons with a mid-tier QB...That requires a quality roster.

All teams have some weak spots...in the salary cap era.

Chasing6

Reaction score
What’s the difference between us and the bills, bengals, chargers, etc? Teams with big name quarterbacks, good core players and big expectations.

Heck, the bills probably peaked in 2020 and people don’t even know it.

Mahommes is the issue.Dude is a lock for the AFC championship every year. Dude can be down 10 points in any playoff game against a great team and come back at will.

That should be the focus.

It’s mahommes league and he is just letting you play in it.
You got to know when to hold them,
You got to know when to trade them,
And you got to know when to let them walk away.

Sometimes I wonder if we know anything.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Three 12 win seasons with a mid-tier QB...That requires a quality roster.

All teams have some weak spots...in the salary cap era.
Don’t disagree with the three 12 win seasons. That’s great. But those 36 regular season wins have produced 1 WC win. All teams have weak spots for sure. Ours just seems to be on a three decade spin cycle though.

Chasing6

Reaction score
We like our guys. So we keep having the same challenges year after year unless we strike gold in the draft.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No, my point is why do we keep the same core year after year expecting different results? Of course you have to spend money on players, but what do you do when you don’t get the results you want? Keep extending them?
I don’t understand your thought process here. Just because you haven’t gone far in the playoffs you don’t just start getting rid of your best players. Go out and get some NFL sized LB’s, a huge DT, a center and a better RB and it’s off to the Super Bowl!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Don’t disagree with the three 12 win seasons. That’s great. But those 36 regular season wins have produced 1 WC win. All teams have weak spots for sure. Ours just seems to be on a three decade spin cycle though.
While our priorities are out of whack with our dysfunctional ownership to be fair you really shouldn’t totally shake up a playoff contender with 3 straight 12 win seasons.

I think we’ve all pretty well analyzed our weaknesses and what should be our focus to prop them up. But as much as I have critiqued our team , etc and we are pretty much aligned on these issues not sure what we’d expect .

Yes, we are very disappointed and frustrated by the early playoff exits or choke jobs, however you want to describe it, but this is one of the best teams these idiots have put together this era and isn’t really qualified or has history of totally starting over not to stay the course.

With our situation this is probably best direction to go. Hang on to core of your playoff team and try to build upon it best you can. A few tweaks, edits and new additions . When it bottoms out then you start over or shake it up.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t understand your thought process here. Just because you haven’t gone far in the playoffs you don’t just start getting rid of your best players. Go out and get some NFL sized LB’s, a huge DT, a center and a better RB and it’s off to the Super Bowl!
Rock I‘m not saying get rid of all of them. I’m just saying that our leaders seem to over-value these guys collectively, and we haven’t done much with them. I’m not saying get rid of all of them. But I do wonder if by keeping ALL of them with the same coaching staff and FO, we should expect different results.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Rocky, I’d have to agree with ya here.

I know how frustrated we all are but you don’t start over with 12 win division winners. Keep trying to build on it best you can. If it continues coming up short so be it.

Creeper

Reaction score

I do have a question about the core. We would have said that Amari Cooper was a core guy at one point. Cooper and Lamb would have made a fantastic WR duo. Now I admit I was not a great fan of Cooper but in a WR2 role behind Lamb, he could have been excellent. His contract was ideal to restructure if the issue was CAP space. That problem could have been resolved easily. I will never understand trading Cooper away from a 5th round draft pick.

I have analyzed the Cowboys teams over the years and whether it is overpaying guys like Steele, or Dak, or whoever, I don't think that is what makes the Cowboys different than the 49ers or Chiefs. I think the issue is Jerry is not willing to go "all in" to build his roster. I cannot think of another team in the NFL that is unwilling to sign a free agent that costs more than $6 million per year. Filling the roster with Nate Livings and McKenzie Bernadeau when paying for 1 quality player like Ben Grubbs is not going all in. You don't get to be homecoming queen wearing a K-Mark dress that is ill fitting. Until Jerry is willing to fix problems with his team with quality FA players he is the one legged man in a butt kicking contest.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Rock I‘m not saying get rid of all of them. I’m just saying that our leaders seem to over-value these guys collectively, and we haven’t done much with them. I’m not saying get rid of all of them. But I do wonder if by keeping ALL of them with the same coaching staff and FO, we should expect different results.
I don’t think we will keep all of them. Several starters prob going away.

And I’d argue this team these idiots have built isn’t that bad. Last year they choked or badly upset but previous two years definitely beat by better team.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m not sure how much further this team should be going. SF def better two previous seasons.

Yea, we prob should have made 2nd round this year. But we certainly didn’t deserve winning division or 2nd seed. Definitely fell in our lap.

This team is what it is. 12 win playoff team pretty pretty pretty good:)

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We don’t have an Elite QB, nor an Elite RB.

We have an Elite WR. A couple of Elite OL.

Two Elite defensive players.

How far do we think this team should be going?

But shredding our core stars. We don’t have enough of them.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No doubt we over evaluate some of them. But we do make some adjustments. Pollard over evaluated . Surely he’s gone. Gallup over evaluated. Hopefully another edit.

That’s a start. And our draft last year pretty much a miss , so far at least.

Fix our running game and middle of defense would be a good objective this offseason. Maybe beef up OL.