What keeping the same core of big paid players has produced

chuck520

Reaction score
No, my point is why do we keep the same core year after year expecting different results? Of course you have to spend money on players, but what do you do when you don’t get the results you want? Keep extending them?
That is usually what winning teams do, the history of the sports shows winning teams have low turnover from the year to year even if they don't win Super Bowls
because they want to continue to win and be good enough.

Check the number of players on good teams vs bad teams in a 10- year period. Good teams have fewer players that play longer and bad teams have more players that are 1 year and out.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I will start with the assumption that most of us would agree that the “core” players this team has built around the last 5-8 years are the players based on their contracts and/or future contracts. Doesn’t mean we all agree they are worth it, just that these are the players the Cowboys have chosen to keep and pay big bucks to keep:

CORE PLAYERS UNDER BIG CONTRACTS
  • Dak Prescott (been here since 2016- signed a 4 year, $160 million contract in 2021, and is negotiating an extension)
  • Tyron Smith (been here since 2011- signed big in 2014 and has been extended multiple times- probably not back in 2024)
  • Zack Martin (been here since 2014- just signed a 2 yr $36 million extension)
  • DeMarcus Lawrence (been here since 2014- signed a 3 year, $40 mil contract in 2022)
  • Michael Gallup (been here since 2018- signed a 5 year $57 million contract in 2022)
  • Tony Pollard (been here since 2019- was on the franchise tag last year for $10 million)
  • Donovan Wilson (been here since 2019- signed a 3 yr 21 million contract in 2023)
  • Trevon Diggs (been here since 2020- signed a 5 year $97 million contract in 2023)
  • Terrance Steele (been here since 2020- signed a 5 year $82 million contract in 2023)
CORE PLAYERS PROJECTED TO GET BIG CONTRACTS (there will be others too but these are obvious)
  • Cedee Lamb (been here since 2020. Will get a big deal soon)
  • Micah Parsons (been here since 2021. Will get a huge deal soon too)
So here’s my big point- with all the money sunk into all these players over multiple years, with two different HCs, multiple coordinators and assistant coaches - THIS CORE GROUP OF PLAYERS HAVE WON 3 WILD CARD PLAYOFF GAMES. If having these guys is soooo important, why haven’t we done better in the playoffs?

So here’s some questions:
1. if this core group hasn’t been able to accomplish more than 3 wild card wins in 10 years, why are we “running it back” thinking 2024 is going to be “the year”?
2. Why do assume these guys are all worth keeping together when having them together with multiple coaching staffs hasn’t gotten much further than an occasional wild card win.
3. Are we really just a couple of players away from winning multiple playoff games? I can’t see how that’s true.

That entire core will be gone by 2025.

Gone or about to be gone:
Tyron
Pollard
Gallup

Gone next year most likely:
Dak, he’s in the same boat as coaches, conference championship or no new contract
Steele if doesn’t rebound this year
Zack, too old for the cost
Tank, too old for the cost

Donovan Wilson is the only guy I’m not sure about but I wouldn’t say he has job security at all.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Don’t disagree with the three 12 win seasons. That’s great. But those 36 regular season wins have produced 1 WC win. All teams have weak spots for sure. Ours just seems to be on a three decade spin cycle though.
Just my take but this is where coaching matters. Sure any team loaded with talent can get to the playoffs but winning the postseason is all about the little things and that's on the coaches. Head coaches coach their assistant coaches to make sure they are ready. Having a plan A and B and C for your team's weaknesses that you know are opponents going to attack. If you look back at the playoff games we have lost, we out-coached in every one of them.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
As long as the NFCE remains putrid, 12 win seasons are within reach. But that doesn't say much at all personally. Seeing they get trounced in the wild card game. Heck even Philly who lost the NFCE got trounced as well., tells you how bad the division is. If your goal is just to keep winning the division only then go ahead and keep bringing everyone back again. Hang your division banners proudly with a parade celebration. But when are you gonna set your bar higher? Assemble a team to beat the niners, packers, lions, rams or whoever.
Setting our heights too high with our ownership unfortunately.

This is a good enough team for Jethro to hype and market his iconic brand.

Not worth to him to risk falling back in order for unknown ahead.

Jethro biggest fear is 12 loss seasons not early exits in playoffs.

And he’s found retaining popular stars is good for marketing as well. Imagine a QB who’s so heavily criticized but jersey sales remain atop the NFL.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That is usually what winning teams do, the history of the sports shows winning teams have low turnover from the year to year even if they don't win Super Bowls

Check the number of players on good teams vs bad teams in a 10- year period. Good teams have fewer players that play longer and bad teams have more players that are 1 year and out.
Makes sense .

Most teams in Cap era last I checked have about a 25-30% turnover from year to year anyway.

Good teams try to retain as many stars as they can but there’s always some Cap casualties . Cap forces you to churn rosters with most backups on Rookie deals .

We’ll probably have a handful of new starters next year due to Cap moves alone .

And despite our disappointing playoff results I’m not sold we are much better than we have finished . But good enough not to totally revamp.

Keep trying to fill in the holes while not creating too many new ones and hope it turns out a little better . And hope other teams don’t get any better and some will get worse .

kskboys

Reaction score
Ok, so what is the solution? Do we never resign a player and just go with the college mentality?
Get someone in charge of drafting who knows how to draft. The horrific weakness at LB and RB should have been addressed, as well as the weaknesses at DT and OL.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
What’s the difference between us and the bills, bengals, chargers, etc? Teams with big name quarterbacks (PAID), good core players and big expectations. Their fans feel the same.

Heck, the bills probably peaked in 2020 and people don’t even know it.

Mahommes is the issue.Dude is a lock for the AFC championship every year. Dude can be down 10 points in any playoff game against a great team and come back at will.

That should be the focus.

It’s mahommes league and he is just letting you play in it.
mahomes has nothing to do with cowboy failing in div or wc rounds every time.

kskboys

Reaction score

Good teams are very careful as to who they release. WR's, for instance, are often cut.

Know what else good teams do year after year? Draft O and D Linemen and don't consistently miss on 2nd round picks due to fabulous reaches.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I will start with the assumption that most of us would agree that the “core” players this team has built around the last 5-8 years are the players based on their contracts and/or future contracts. Doesn’t mean we all agree they are worth it, just that these are the players the Cowboys have chosen to keep and pay big bucks to keep:

• Dak Prescott (been here since 2016- signed a 4 year, $160 million contract in 2021, and is negotiating an extension)
  • Tyron Smith (been here since 2011- signed big in 2014 and has been extended multiple times- probably not back in 2024)
  • DeMarcus Lawrence (been here since 2014- signed a 3 year, $40 mil contract in 2022)
  • Michael Gallup (been here since 2018- signed a 5 year $57 million contract in 2022)
  • Tony Pollard (been here since 2019- was on the franchise tag last year for $10 million)
  • Donovan Wilson (been here since 2019- signed a 3 yr 21 million contract in 2023)
  • Trevon Diggs (been here since 2020- signed a 5 year $97 million contract in 2023)
  • Terrance Steele (been here since 2020- signed a 5 year $82 million contract in 2023)
CORE PLAYERS PROJECTED TO GET BIG CONTRACTS (there will be others too but these are obvious)
So here’s my big point- with all the money sunk into all these players over multiple years, with two different HCs, multiple coordinators and assistant coaches - THIS CORE GROUP OF PLAYERS HAVE WON 3 WILD CARD PLAYOFF GAMES. If having these guys is soooo important, why haven’t we done better in the playoffs?

1. if this core group hasn’t been able to accomplish more than 3 wild card wins in 10 years, why are we “running it back” thinking 2024 is going to be “the year”?
2. Why do assume these guys are all worth keeping together when having them together with multiple coaching staffs hasn’t gotten much further than an occasional wild card win.
3. Are we really just a couple of players away from winning multiple playoff games? I can’t see how that’s true.
it made cowboys the #1 franchise in the NFL. its not about post season wins. its about regular season. its working as is. why should Jerry change?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Rock I‘m not saying get rid of all of them. I’m just saying that our leaders seem to over-value these guys collectively, and we haven’t done much with them. I’m not saying get rid of all of them. But I do wonder if by keeping ALL of them with the same coaching staff and FO, we should expect different results.
the results will be similar.
the reasons are both HC's were lame, and jones boys afraid to go all in one year by getting good FA if available.
you cant just go all in anytime, it has to be when players in FA are available and they be the players you need to get over the top.

So as usual it is partly the jones boys fault, then the culture, and then the lame HC's.
no mater what roster you have those things will curtail success in playoffs.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
the results will be similar.
the reasons are both HC's were lame, and jones boys afraid to go all in one year by getting good FA if available.
you cant just go all in anytime, it has to be when players in FA are available and they be the players you need to get over the top.

So as usual it is partly the jones boys fault, then the culture, and then the lame HC's.
no mater what roster you have those things will curtail success in playoffs.
Don’t forget some of our personnel weaknesses and fact some of our talent in some key areas isn’t as great as opponents.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score

Stephen Jones doesn't care about winning championships, all he cares about is keeping the boys cap under the cap so he gets his profit at the end of the year. He honestly believes cowboys fans are dumb enough to believe him and Jerry Jones of doing it their way. He chuckles all the way to the bank. If you don't believe me look at the eagles and Washington, they just cleared up about 20 million in letting players go today. What are the cowboys doing their talking to Gallup, etc. Then one year lions called offering a top player in possible trade talk talking to Stephen Jones, Stephen never told will mcclay, then it's been proven players still go up the back stairs to Jerry Jones office, to complain. Then remember 3 years ago 2022 when we needed wide receivers and Stephen and Jerry said we have it fixed but we didn't, just like last year we needed a good RB, Jerry and Stephen go out and get.a has been RB and says we're good, it's the front office. When you don't show accountability and good leadership from front office, it trickles down to the players. Case in.point no one makes Dak accountable in big games and the playoffs.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Just my take but this is where coaching matters. Sure any team loaded with talent can get to the playoffs but winning the postseason is all about the little things and that's on the coaches. Head coaches coach their assistant coaches to make sure they are ready. Having a plan A and B and C for your team's weaknesses that you know are opponents going to attack. If you look back at the playoff games we have lost, we out-coached in every one of them.
True but jerry thinks any coach can do it (any of 500 ! lol)

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Stephen Jones doesn't care about winning championships, all he cares about is keeping the boys cap under the cap so he gets his profit at the end of the year. He honestly believes cowboys fans are dumb enough to believe him and Jerry Jones of doing it their way. He chuckles all the way to the bank. If you don't believe me look at the eagles and Washington, they just cleared up about 20 million in letting players go today. What are the cowboys doing their talking to Gallup, etc. Then one year lions called offering a top player in possible trade talk talking to Stephen Jones, Stephen never told will mcclay, then it's been proven players still go up the back stairs to Jerry Jones office, to complain. Then remember 3 years ago 2022 when we needed wide receivers and Stephen and Jerry said we have it fixed but we didn't, just like last year we needed a good RB, Jerry and Stephen go out and get.a has been RB and says we're good, it's the front office. When you don't show accountability and good leadership from front office, it trickles down to the players. Case in.point no one makes Dak accountable in big games and the playoffs.
There is no additional profit in player salary. There is a max. you can pay, and a minimum you must pay. The fact the Cowboys are over the cap, at the moment, would indicate Stephen Jones is spending large on player salaries.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Win regular season games
Stay relevant
Make the playoffs
Sell tickets
Make mega money.
Works for Jerry.
Who needs playoff success?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Three 12 win seasons with a mid-tier QB...That requires a quality roster.

All teams have some weak spots...in the salary cap era.
36 regular season wins over the past 3 seasons.

Playoff results............1 wildcard win over a team with a QB in his mid 40s.

I'm sorry, but if the only team in the playoffs you can beat over a 3 yr stretch is the one with a QB fixing to file for social security benefits.............I'm not impressed.

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
I don’t understand your thought process here. Just because you haven’t gone far in the playoffs you don’t just start getting rid of your best players. Go out and get some NFL sized LB’s, a huge DT, a center and a better RB and it’s off to the Super Bowl!
I have to agree.

You build a strong defense from the inside out. We build a defense from the outside in. We have been weak up the middle and it has killed us. It is WAY past time to answer the question: Where's the beef?

ShiningStar

Reaction score
this is getting lame, 20 plus years and some fans just dont get it.

DALLAS IS NOT ABOUT WINNING THE SB,

its about making money.

the NFL is a self regulated CLUB, clubs do waht they want, this club now wants to make money. Suckers keep giving them money.

That is the answer to your question and post.

To be happy there are still suckers who after 20 plus years cant answer 1 question even tho they get the answer every year.

Congratulations.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
this is getting lame, 20 plus years and some fans just dont get it.

DALLAS IS NOT ABOUT WINNING THE SB,

its about making money.

the NFL is a self regulated CLUB, clubs do waht they want, this club now wants to make money. Suckers keep giving them money.

That is the answer to your question and post.

To be happy there are still suckers who after 20 plus years cant answer 1 question even tho they get the answer every year.

Congratulations.
So why exactly are you here posting? I don’t get it. Please explain.