What keeping the same core of big paid players has produced

roy31

Reaction score
The players are not the problem … same problem as always … change any player you want and get the same results … Jerry just needs a relevant money maker …championship would be nice but not essential in the Jones’s eyes

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The players are not the problem … same problem as always … change any player you want and get the same results … Jerry just needs a relevant money maker …championship would be nice but not essential in the Jones’s eyes
And then there’s this.

Unfortunately there’s no sense of urgency to build anything more than what we have.

Honestly with our ownership and front office , I’m surprised they can amass this good of team without an Elite QB.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Blame it on whatever, but if you watch the playoff games that take place after Dallas is typically eliminated, they are no where near tough enough to be able to compete and win three more games at that time. Never.

Those teams want it and leave it all on the field. Dallas players are fine folding it up and going back to being local heroes…and mah brand, and mah social media, and mah contract.

It’s been said forever that teams take on the persona of their coach, and in this case it’s Jerry. Business first, and if there’s room for winning football, great, but not necessary.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You got to know when to hold them,
You got to know when to trade them,
And you got to know when to let them walk away.

Sometimes I wonder if we know anything.
Let him play out this year with no extension. Cut next year take the hit and play Trey.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Rock I‘m not saying get rid of all of them. I’m just saying that our leaders seem to over-value these guys collectively, and we haven’t done much with them. I’m not saying get rid of all of them. But I do wonder if by keeping ALL of them with the same coaching staff and FO, we should expect different results.
Which one(s) do you want to get rid of?

Chasing6

Reaction score
I would start with the ones that tear their ACL right before we give them a big extension.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
As long as the NFCE remains putrid, 12 win seasons are within reach. But that doesn't say much at all personally. Seeing they get trounced in the wild card game. Heck even Philly who lost the NFCE got trounced as well., tells you how bad the division is. If your goal is just to keep winning the division only then go ahead and keep bringing everyone back again. Hang your division banners proudly with a parade celebration. But when are you gonna set your bar higher? Assemble a team to beat the niners, packers, lions, rams or whoever.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Dak, Zach and Demarcus really need to be in their own tier tbh. The rest are younger guys who have recently become vets. Don’t think it’s fair to lump them all together

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Which one(s) do you want to get rid of?
Rock, I‘m actually talking about having a whole different approach to building the roster. I never said in the OP that I wanted to get rid of any particular player. What I was emphasizing is that I don’t understand why we think all these guys are so valuable that we cannot allow them to walk.

Regarding building the roster, I would not extend Dak. (I would try to trade him but I know that’s not possible unless he agreed to and another team is interested) If he has a great year in 2024, a new contract could be considered. I would release Gallup as a post June 1 cut, let Pollard walk, I would let Tyron walk in FA. Also would let Biadaz sign somewhere else. I would release Cooper Rush- he’s not expensive but why waste a second on him as a backup if this FO thinks Lance is worth keeping around?

And draft some big nasty DL and LB…get bigger and more physical on defense. Draft a RB, maybe sign a FA RB.

My bigger point is this: Stop thinking we have a core of players that must be re-upped time and again. Because they haven’t done anything big in the playoffs anyway.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As long as the NFCE remains putrid, 12 win seasons are within reach. But that doesn't say much at all personally. Seeing they get trounced in the wild card game. Heck even Philly who lost the NFCE got trounced as well., tells you how bad the division is. If your goal is just to keep winning the division only then go ahead and keep bringing everyone back again. Hang your division banners proudly with a parade celebration. But when are you gonna set your bar higher? Assemble a team to beat the niners, packers, lions, rams or whoever.
Well said.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
My bigger point is this: Stop thinking we have a core of players that must be re-upped time and again. Because they haven’t done anything big in the playoffs anyway.
It doesn't really matter, even though talent is essential.

Whoever the Quarterback is, whatever players they add to defense, it just won't matter. The coaches will still be frauds, the culture will still be toxic.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Rock, I‘m actually talking about having a whole different approach to building the roster. I never said in the OP that I wanted to get rid of any particular player. What I was emphasizing is that I don’t understand why we think all these guys are so valuable that we cannot allow them to walk.

Regarding building the roster, I would not extend Dak. (I would try to trade him but I know that’s not possible unless he agreed to and another team is interested) If he has a great year in 2024, a new contract could be considered. I would release Gallup as a post June 1 cut, let Pollard walk, I would let Tyron walk in FA. Also would let Biadaz sign somewhere else. I would release Cooper Rush- he’s not expensive but why waste a second on him as a backup if this FO thinks Lance is worth keeping around?

And draft some big nasty DL and LB…get bigger and more physical on defense. Draft a RB, maybe sign a FA RB.

If you trade Dak, you’re giving up on the upcoming season. Bob that’s a bad message to send to the rest of the team. It will set the team back for years possibly. QB’s don’t grow on trees. Dak’s no Mahomes, but for Christ sakes he was 2nd in MVP voting so he’s got to be pretty good. Everybody is always looking for greener pastures instead of building on what they already have. They have won 36 games in the last 3 years so YES, they are only a few players away. This Is not the year to throw it all away and start over. I just don’t get all the extreme negativity around here and you’ve been slipping that way as well. Just because of whats happened in the past does not portend what will happen in the future with strengthoning your weaknesses.

I get it. “Know your audience.” Your audience is mostly negative so feed the negativity. You’re a great poster and I hate seeing you slip to the dark side just for clicks.

75boyz

Reaction score
I will start with the assumption that most of us would agree that the “core” players this team has built around the last 5-8 years are the players based on their contracts and/or future contracts. Doesn’t mean we all agree they are worth it, just that these are the players the Cowboys have chosen to keep and pay big bucks to keep:

CORE PLAYERS UNDER BIG CONTRACTS
  • Dak Prescott (been here since 2016- signed a 4 year, $160 million contract in 2021, and is negotiating an extension)
  • Tyron Smith (been here since 2011- signed big in 2014 and has been extended multiple times- probably not back in 2024)
  • Zack Martin (been here since 2014- just signed a 2 yr $36 million extension)
  • DeMarcus Lawrence (been here since 2014- signed a 3 year, $40 mil contract in 2022)
  • Michael Gallup (been here since 2018- signed a 5 year $57 million contract in 2022)
  • Tony Pollard (been here since 2019- was on the franchise tag last year for $10 million)
  • Donovan Wilson (been here since 2019- signed a 3 yr 21 million contract in 2023)
  • Trevon Diggs (been here since 2020- signed a 5 year $97 million contract in 2023)
  • Terrance Steele (been here since 2020- signed a 5 year $82 million contract in 2023)
CORE PLAYERS PROJECTED TO GET BIG CONTRACTS (there will be others too but these are obvious)
  • Cedee Lamb (been here since 2020. Will get a big deal soon)
  • Micah Parsons (been here since 2021. Will get a huge deal soon too)
So here’s my big point- with all the money sunk into all these players over multiple years, with two different HCs, multiple coordinators and assistant coaches - THIS CORE GROUP OF PLAYERS HAVE WON 3 WILD CARD PLAYOFF GAMES. If having these guys is soooo important, why haven’t we done better in the playoffs?

So here’s some questions:
1. if this core group hasn’t been able to accomplish more than 3 wild card wins in 10 years, why are we “running it back” thinking 2024 is going to be “the year”?
2. Why do assume these guys are all worth keeping together when having them together with multiple coaching staffs hasn’t gotten much further than an occasional wild card win.
3. Are we really just a couple of players away from winning multiple playoff games? I can’t see how that’s true.
Great post.
Mountaineer posed the same question in another thread.

It truly makes ya wonder with all these All Pros why it is that never seems to translate into playoff team success.

It's like some inexplicable domino effect curse stemming from the head coach on down to the quarterback to the generational passrusher...

They all suck at the same time once the playoffs start.

The head coach and QB lead the way though and should be held to the higher standard for team influence and success.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I will start with the assumption that most of us would agree that the “core” players this team has built around the last 5-8 years are the players based on their contracts and/or future contracts. Doesn’t mean we all agree they are worth it, just that these are the players the Cowboys have chosen to keep and pay big bucks to keep:

• Dak Prescott (been here since 2016- signed a 4 year, $160 million contract in 2021, and is negotiating an extension)
  • Tyron Smith (been here since 2011- signed big in 2014 and has been extended multiple times- probably not back in 2024)
  • DeMarcus Lawrence (been here since 2014- signed a 3 year, $40 mil contract in 2022)
  • Michael Gallup (been here since 2018- signed a 5 year $57 million contract in 2022)
  • Tony Pollard (been here since 2019- was on the franchise tag last year for $10 million)
  • Donovan Wilson (been here since 2019- signed a 3 yr 21 million contract in 2023)
  • Trevon Diggs (been here since 2020- signed a 5 year $97 million contract in 2023)
  • Terrance Steele (been here since 2020- signed a 5 year $82 million contract in 2023)
CORE PLAYERS PROJECTED TO GET BIG CONTRACTS (there will be others too but these are obvious)
So here’s my big point- with all the money sunk into all these players over multiple years, with two different HCs, multiple coordinators and assistant coaches - THIS CORE GROUP OF PLAYERS HAVE WON 3 WILD CARD PLAYOFF GAMES. If having these guys is soooo important, why haven’t we done better in the playoffs?

1. if this core group hasn’t been able to accomplish more than 3 wild card wins in 10 years, why are we “running it back” thinking 2024 is going to be “the year”?
2. Why do assume these guys are all worth keeping together when having them together with multiple coaching staffs hasn’t gotten much further than an occasional wild card win.
3. Are we really just a couple of players away from winning multiple playoff games? I can’t see how that’s true.

We *chose* to leave ourselves exposed at DT for years.
We *chose* to make Micah a liability at DE instead of an asset at LB on run downs.
We *chose* to design the defensive roster around defending the pass, exposing ourselves when we have to defend against the run too.
We *chose* to extend a declining Zeke on his rookie contract.

It's not *all* on the core players.

And when you say "keeping the same core of players for years", we haven't actually *gotten* them all together for years. All but Wilson and Lawrence have had serious health issues that kept them off the field and/or limited their performance for a full year. With Tyron and *Dak*, more.

A big mistake recently is *leaning in* to players coming back from injury. Schulz. Pollard. Gallup. Steele.

I don't think the particular players have been the problem so much as the *strategy* of building around core players with big money and then poor *execution* of that strategy.

Guess I'm pointing the finger at our GM.
All these are big picture issues that a *football* GM would be involved in.

chuck520

Reaction score

Tyron Smith isnt coming back