What kind of HC do you want?

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Posted this yesterday but I think we missed the boat on Brian Flores. Dude doesn't abide quitters or entitled players that don't want to be there, and the end result is a team that might only win 4 games all year but they continually improved down the stretch when everyone had determined they were tanking. Love the fight I've seen out of that squad.

scottsp

Reaction score
  • Authoritative
  • Attentive to Detail
  • Accountable
For me, this would just about do. On bullet point #1, it's obviously as much as the royal family will allow. An iffy proposition, I get that. For #2, it would be nice, for a change, to see a staff cognizant of an opponent's shortcomings and effectively exploiting them. For example: When the Eagles are down to their #4 wideout, ohh, I don't know, maybe adjust coverage accordingly? Even better, attacking a weak return game by kicking into it as to maximize field position. Crazy, right?

The final item doesn't is self explanatory. It's become a rather foreign concept in these parts. Again, this may be tricky to navigate with our ownership bearing down, but at least the idea of a head coach speaking to mistakes without constantly deflecting would appear a radical paradigm shift. A warm body that can actually correct mistakes might be asking for the moon, but I can dream. Can't I?

Last edited:

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The key is cooperation, they will not acquiesce to an alpha male type. They had that with Parcells, never again. It's going to take one with some good people skills in dealing with ownership.

They've had two alpha males - Jimmy and Tuna. Both took bad teams and turned them into good ones.

The other coaches they've hired took good teams and made them worse, or simply treaded water. As long as the Jones boys are threatened by an alpha male head coach they won't sniff another Super Bowl, because they've shown they're not smart enough to win one "their" way.

FanSince71

Reaction score
I’d really like to have a defensive minded head coach, who is strong-willed, a motivator and holds everyone accountable. It would be great if he has a staff of like minded assistant coaches to bring along and present a united philosophy and goals for the future.

I’d also prefer that the defense be multi-schemed based on opponent and coached to take the ball away. Offensively, a staff who is in touch with modern offensive football (pre-snap motion, WR stacks, athletic pass catching TE’s, RPO, moving the pocket, etc) and schemes around their players unique talents rather than forcing them to fit into a system.

That’s not too much to ask, is it?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I like Zimmer maybe eberflues but it's not just the HC. We need a complete staff with better position coaches in all 3 phases. So part of deciding who the new HC should be is a guy who can assemble the best staff.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
I want a coach that the players respect and in some regard fear..

I don’t want some young puppet or a yes man.. I want a guy that can stand up to these entitled players we have in Dallas. Basically I want Urban Meyer.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Innovative, stickler for details and fundamentals who believes in tough, smart football players. Something we haven't seen since 06'.

efh313

Reaction score
How about a HC that shows some emotion on the sideline, who engages the players and not just when they fail to get a first down and come off the field. Someone who can get ticked off if things come unglued and hold people accountable. Or how about a coach that is animated when chewing out the refs and blown calls and throws the flag at them! Is this asking for too much?? I watch Belichick talking to his defense while play is going on, getting in their faces when they don't execute. Dam I want a coach to coach!!!
I may be a transplanted Texan, got here when I was 3 from NY, but the Boys have always been my team. That being said as an Italian who understands fiery passion I want to see a thrown clip board, a thrown expletive at an official, I want to see a thrown HC out of a game every now and again. These things tell me you are as invested emotionally in this team as I am. Based on what the Red Clapper has shown me over the last decade, I have given far more emotionally over the last years... and he earned a lot more $$$ for his investment. :mad:

kskboys

Reaction score
There are three varieties. Walk around, HC/DC and HC/OC.

I want a HC/DC like Zimmer and wouldn't mind a young guy like Robert Saleh, Matt Eberflus or Leslie Frazier, who has some HC experience.

Meyer is going to be a walk around and so would Rivera unless he was required to call the D as part of the HC job.

Riley, Roman and Stefanski would be HC/OC's and probably eliminate the need for Moore, unless he was willing to understudy.

I've been watching these challenges with the D, even when they had Phillips as HC and Parcells before that, and don't know if a D mind could fix this but until that gets fixed, this team goes nowhere.

The real challenge is can a D minded HC deal with a follow the ball FO when it comes to the distribution of the cap?

If we want to return to glory, it's all about that D. Yes, Roger and Tony were great and so were the triplets but those D's were greater and I still believe that D delivers.
A mafia type. So he'll put a hit out on Jerry.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One that expects, demands, and produces excellence!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One thing to remember in all of this desire for accountability and a hard nosed HC, Booger refused to let mild mannered Wade increase fines, you think he's going to allow any HC full authority over his players? And therein lies the rub, his players. That's the way he views it, on loan to the HC.

In creating your HC, you cannot discount what he will have to deal with when it comes to discipline and the rules and how his hands might be tied.

glimmerman

Reaction score
One that wins. Someone that the players respect and fear. One that can motivate and change a game plan on the fly. That’s all.