What kind of HC do you want?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They've had two alpha males - Jimmy and Tuna. Both took bad teams and turned them into good ones.

The other coaches they've hired took good teams and made them worse, or simply treaded water. As long as the Jones boys are threatened by an alpha male head coach they won't sniff another Super Bowl, because they've shown they're not smart enough to win one "their" way.
Both of those HC's were hired out of need, get into the black and that new stadium. There would have to be a need strong enough for him to relinquish enough power for a HC to own the locker room.

Any GM of any team needs to feel like a preferred visitor in his own locker room and on the field. Any team looking over the shoulder of their HC will struggle when the going gets tough.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Someone who knows the game inside and out, is ultra passionate about winning, and doesn't put up with any crap. Basically, I want high-end Xes and 0s and discipline. And I want Jerry to give him the autonomy to do what he needs to do.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Someone that spanks Jerry and his son Stephen.
If that's with their pants down, going to be a short list of volunteers and the money ain't THAT good! If I am going to have to spank a bare butted 77 year old man, you better bring a blindfold, puke bucket and enough whiskey to temporarily damage my memory.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
I honestly hope its a really strong force that keeps a core and sends walking papers to the rest. I really don't care if it includes zeke either. The tap out on 2nd and 2 at a critical spot has me questioning his intent as a player.

you keep

1. Fred Beard.

2. Zack martin

3. Tyron Smith

4. Byron Jones

5. Dak (On a Tag)

6. zeke ( With a stiff talking to)

7. Cooper ( If his health returns)

8. Jaylon Smith ( With an motivational coach)

9.LVE ( under close watch from the doctors)

10. Gallup

the rest can walk..

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are three varieties. Walk around, HC/DC and HC/OC.
I don't care which variety gets hired.

I just want one thing - aggression.

On defense and on offense. Go for the throat units that put teams away instead of trying to win games on the last drive.

GMO415

Reaction score
Someone who puts their best players on the field with the game on-the-line and someone who doesn't ice their own kicker.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
And I want Jerry to give him the autonomy to do what he needs to do.

That is what makes it so difficult to get excited about a change in regime.

First, will Jones "allow" the coach the ability to guide the team unfettered? That is unlikely considering how miserable he was when Parcells was around. There were very few radio spots and him holding court with the press immediately after games. He absolutely hated that era.

Second, even if he does come out and say it and do it, when does he decide to pull strings even as he did with Parcells (see Owens, Terrell)?

Third, the culture of celebrity around the team will be very hard to change. The Joneses, even if they stepped back from operations, would still run the team like a money making brand instead of a football team. That will never change.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
That, my friend, is a 50lb fly in the ointment.

That's exactly it. I don't have high hopes for this team until Jerry figures that out or dies. I thought he had figured it out when he hired Parcells, and he did it for a while, but he relapsed into his old ways.

I wish I owned this team. I would see if I could convince Jimmy Johnson to come on as GM, and then leave the HC decision totally up to Jimmy. I would watch the games from a sky box and you would never see me on the sidelines, in the locker room, or at practices, except when requested at practice by the HC or GM, and then to discuss business matters, like how we should go about getting players we need. I would be the opposite of Jerry Jones.

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
HC -Norv Turner (Aikman and turner can be swapped here)
OC-Aikman
DC-Haley

O-Line- Erik Williams (deep hatred for whoever lined up opposite him.)
D-Line- Russell Maryland (Haley would be good here as well)
LB's- Sean Lee
DB's -D Woodson
RB's E Smith
WR's M Irvin

Team spokesperson: Drew Pearson lol

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is what makes it so difficult to get excited about a change in regime.

First, will Jones "allow" the coach the ability to guide the team unfettered? That is unlikely considering how miserable he was when Parcells was around. There were very few radio spots and him holding court with the press immediately after games. He absolutely hated that era.

Second, even if he does come out and say it and do it, when does he decide to pull strings even as he did with Parcells (see Owens, Terrell)?

Third, the culture of celebrity around the team will be very hard to change. The Joneses, even if they stepped back from operations, would still run the team like a money making brand instead of a football team. That will never change.
The only positive I see to this change is a better sideline HC and one better at tactics and adjustments. HC's that want to drive their own ship will steer clear of this situation.

Alexander

Reaction score
The only positive I see to this change is a better sideline HC and one better at tactics and adjustments. HC's that want to drive their own ship will steer clear of this situation.
A smarter more tactical coach would be a start. They would still have to deal with whatever coaches Jones forces on them.

It looks like whomever comes in would have to fight Jones to not have Moore, Colombo, Lal and Kitna shoved down their throats. Jones hates to pay coaches after he gets rid of them.

Shane612

Reaction score
There are three varieties. Walk around, HC/DC and HC/OC.

I want a HC/DC like Zimmer and wouldn't mind a young guy like Robert Saleh, Matt Eberflus or Leslie Frazier, who has some HC experience.

Meyer is going to be a walk around and so would Rivera unless he was required to call the D as part of the HC job.

Riley, Roman and Stefanski would be HC/OC's and probably eliminate the need for Moore, unless he was willing to understudy.

I've been watching these challenges with the D, even when they had Phillips as HC and Parcells before that, and don't know if a D mind could fix this but until that gets fixed, this team goes nowhere.

The real challenge is can a D minded HC deal with a follow the ball FO when it comes to the distribution of the cap?

If we want to return to glory, it's all about that D. Yes, Roger and Tony were great and so were the triplets but those D's were greater and I still believe that D delivers.
Doesn't matter. Whoever Jerry brings in, Jerry his will have his hand up the new guy's ***, too.

Alexander

Reaction score
I want the coach that the late Bill Walsh describes. As you read this, how many things does Garrett fail at?

What do you think are the essential management skills of a successful head coach?

The role of the head coach begins with setting a standard of competence. You have to exhibit a strong working knowledge of the game. The head coach must be able to function effectively and decisively in the most stressful situations. And the head coach must demonstrate resourcefulness—in particular, he is responsible for designing a system of football that is not simplistic. The head coach’s system should never reduce the game to the point where he can blame his players for success or failure simply because they did not physically overwhelm the opponents.

Successful coaches realize that winning teams are not run by single individuals who dominate the scene and reduce the rest of the group to marionettes. Winning teams are more like open forums in which everyone participates in the decision-making process, coaches and players alike, until the decision is made. Others must know who is in command, but a head coach must behave democratically. Then, once a decision is made, the team must be motivated to go ahead and execute it.

Some coaches rely on relatively simplistic plans. When their plans don’t work, they say that it was the players who did not block hard enough, did not run hard enough, or just were not tough enough. We have gone beyond that pattern of failure and finger-pointing. The responsibility for the success of the team starts with the coach, who develops the plan that is then executed by the players—who are extremely well-prepared.

Making judgments under severe stress is the most difficult thing there is. The more preparation you have prior to the conflict, the more you can do in a clinical situation, the better off you will be. For that reason, in practice I want to make certain that we have accounted for every critical situation, including the desperate ones at the end of a game when we may have only one chance to pull out a victory. Even in that circumstance, I want us to have a play prepared and rehearsed. Say it is the last 20 seconds of a game and we’re losing. We have already practiced 6 plays that we can apply in that situation. That way, we know what to do, and we can calmly execute the plays. We’ll have no doubt in our minds, we will have more poise, and we can concentrate without falling prey to desperation.

https://hbr.org/1993/01/to-build-a-winning-team-an-interview-with-head-coach-bill-walsh