What kind of HC do you want?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Although I know we need a true defensive mind on the staff.

Our next coach MUST be able to evaluate the QB position. Id love to have an Andy Reid. A coach that was smart enough to see even after Alex Smith had a career best year that his limitations were too much to overcome. Reid and KC didn't take the bait and went forward with Mahomes.

I understand he was always a phenomenal prospect, but the fear of making a Charger type mistake (Drew Brees) in letting Alex Smith walk had to be there.

This doesn't mean I think Dak needs to go. He really didn't play well in the final stretch, but he improved a lot overall this season and its still possible he is or becomes a very good qb. He made a lot of passes people said he couldn't make and his progressions were markedly better this season. Daks field vision has improved. Nonetheless he let us down the second half of the season. The whole team let us down, there is a lot of blame to go around.

I want Dak franchised and I want a new staff to move this team forward. Then we can make a decision on Daks future.
Good points and insight.
Getting it right on Dakota is paramount to getting this franchise back to the top

Reactions: CWR

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
  • Authoritative
  • Attentive to Detail
  • Accountable
For me, this would just about do. On bullet point #1, it's obviously as much as the royal family will allow. An iffy proposition, I get that. For #2, it would be nice, for a change, to see a staff cognizant of an opponent's shortcomings and effectively exploiting them. For example: When the Eagles are down to their #4 wideout, ohh, I don't know, maybe adjust coverage accordingly? Even better, attacking a weak return game by kicking into it as to maximize field position. Crazy, right?

The final item doesn't is self explanatory. It's become a rather foreign concept in these parts. Again, this may be tricky to navigate with our ownership bearing down, but at least the idea of a head coach speaking to mistakes without constantly deflecting would appear a radical paradigm shift. A warm body that can actually correct mistakes might be asking for the moon, but I can dream. Can't I?
Bingo!!!

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
There are three varieties. Walk around, HC/DC and HC/OC.

I want a HC/DC like Zimmer and wouldn't mind a young guy like Robert Saleh, Matt Eberflus or Leslie Frazier, who has some HC experience.

Meyer is going to be a walk around and so would Rivera unless he was required to call the D as part of the HC job.

Riley, Roman and Stefanski would be HC/OC's and probably eliminate the need for Moore, unless he was willing to understudy.

I've been watching these challenges with the D, even when they had Phillips as HC and Parcells before that, and don't know if a D mind could fix this but until that gets fixed, this team goes nowhere.

The real challenge is can a D minded HC deal with a follow the ball FO when it comes to the distribution of the cap?

If we want to return to glory, it's all about that D. Yes, Roger and Tony were great and so were the triplets but those D's were greater and I still believe that D delivers.

I just want a coach who expects players to just do their jobs. They dont need to try to be a hero and save the world. Do your job and keep the fundamentals as the top priority. This is a really good team when they play fundamentally sound. All you gotta do is look at that Rams game. They destroyed them. Nobody went over the top. Dak took what they gave and read the defense and adjusted to what the defense was doing. The OL blocked the way we know they can and the RBs followed those blocks. Wrs picked up the slack because of the bracket they played on Amari, and the defense stayed home and flowed to the ball.

Give me a coach who is going to get into a players head and see what he does best and implement his strengths in the scheme. I want a coach who is going to use these RBs and OL the way they need to be used. Because this is what Jerry built this team around.

Carnes

Reaction score
One that will actually scheme to our players advantage and play to win nott to lose.

quickccc

Reaction score
There are three varieties. Walk around, HC/DC and HC/OC.

I want a HC/DC like Zimmer and wouldn't mind a young guy like Robert Saleh, Matt Eberflus or Leslie Frazier, who has some HC experience.

Meyer is going to be a walk around and so would Rivera unless he was required to call the D as part of the HC job.

Riley, Roman and Stefanski would be HC/OC's and probably eliminate the need for Moore, unless he was willing to understudy.

I've been watching these challenges with the D, even when they had Phillips as HC and Parcells before that, and don't know if a D mind could fix this but until that gets fixed, this team goes nowhere.

The real challenge is can a D minded HC deal with a follow the ball FO when it comes to the distribution of the cap?

If we want to return to glory, it's all about that D. Yes, Roger and Tony were great and so were the triplets but those D's were greater and I still believe that D delivers.

if Meyer comes here, this offense will go through him, that's his specialty, he wont (or shouldn't ) be just a walk around HC.

But a HC continues to be THE game manager and oversees the entire team and implements his authority to other areas of the team when the situation
calls for it, (ala special teams, defense, OL, etc)

But If he is a great delegator; he oversees how his OC handles the Xs' and O's plays and designs and game plans down on the field, just as he successfully selects his version of Dennis Allen, Robert Saleh, etc. to handle the other side of the field, just he relies upon the Columbo's, Sandray Lai, and Richard to handle their particular roles. If they do not respond then you make changes accordingly.

Mike Zimmer is a defensive minded HC, defense is his specialty, but he oversee the entire team that he can identify the problematic issues he's had with his OC's on offense (ala Norv Turner, Joe Defillippo) ...and then act to change accordingly.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Detail orientated person. When you look at guys like Belichick, Mike Shanahan, Landry, Parcels, etc they are very detail orientated. Belichick is known to go as far as getting into officials' personal lives, charting what types of penalties they call most often, etc.

That is why I want Urban Meyer, he is the type of coach who will prepare his team for almost everything another coach will throw out there.

A team with talent that is well prepared knows its assignments and has a solid scheme will win a lot of games.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I said Tom Landry earlier.

a HC who has his team prepared....before it starts....for Game Day.

a HC who has a "feel" for how the Game is unfolding and a "feel" for how his team...coaching staff included....is responding to it.

a HC who is not afraid of the magnitude of the Game.....and isn't scared when the Game isn't going their way.....and responds quickly and aggressively with counter-measures.

a HC who has an eye for talent....and can develop it.....with a competent staff.

a HC who seems to make sure his players are in the path where preperation,execution and success meet.

quickccc

Reaction score
- Imo, a true HC has to be more than just motivational.
Needs to be o be smart and knowledgeable enough to be a great Game Manager and Overseer of the entire operation
- all phases and coaching areas.

- He needs to be very capable of in-game adjustments. (which has literally killed us under Garrett era !)
i read somewhere where Garrett has only won 5 games in like last five years, when trailing at halftime, ..Wow !

- They have to be great delegators that know and have a knack for when to delegate duties and roles among their coaches….
.... and know when to input and assert their authority in an problematic area to take charge and lead themselves if the situations
and crisis come to that.They have to know when to delegate responsibility among their staff, knowing when to let his assts. lead
.. and when it comes time when the HC himself has to be assertive, take charge and lead themselves.

- They have to established themselves as leader of men, they have to prove themselves as inspiring motivators to keep their team
fighting and competiting hard -especially when adversity comes in and going gets tough while also supplanting and sustaining discipline
among his team.They make both themselves accountable as well as the players.

- And they have to have good connections around the league, who/how to find the more suitable assts, coordinators to carry out the
coordinators/assistant duties demanded.