What makes me chuckle about the QB situation

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Draft status has absolutely nothing to do with the contracts those guys got. Sportswriters have no idea what they're talking about if they said that. You can't use that "Super Bowl" argument when Wentz didn't play in the playoffs. You can use it for Goff but anyone with eyes and a mind knows he was along for the ride I mean the Rams even admitted as much by letting him go.

30 million was not fair and that's why he didn't accept it and that's why the Cowboys offered it. They tried to Jaylon Smith him and Jay Ratliff him.....but naw you can't do that with quarterback.

You were the one that originally brought up Goff and Wentz and in both of their cases their slide in perception of playing didn't start until 2 years after signing those contracts. If the rams and eagles thought the way they think now they wouldn't have offered 32 mil and 33 mil for them after the 2018 season. Also until Wentz got injured in the eagles 2017 Super Bowl season most sportswriters had him high in the running for MVP. Oh and yes EVERYTHING is taken into consideration when negotiating and/or offering a contract which includes where they were drafted. You may not like it and because of that you now think you're smarter than those that do that. That's the way of wannabe GM/capologists.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Only at the Cowboyszone is it the QB’s fault that we had one of the worst defenses in nfl history. Or we were dead last in takeaways since 2010. Or that we haven’t had a kick return for a touchdown in eleven years. Ahh hell covid is Dak’s fault too!

I don't think this is right. The crappy Defense is on the Defense. The shortcomings in Dak's game is on Dak. They are two different things and each has it's own reasons as to why each produce the results they do.

However, the cap is a completely different situation and discussion and that is not relative to either of the other two. That is a different mindset altogether. I don't think if's fair to lump all of those together.

JMO

ondaedg

Reaction score
I don't think this is right. The crappy Defense is on the Defense. The shortcomings in Dak's game is on Dak. They are two different things and each has it's own reasons as to why each produce the results they do.

However, the cap is a completely different situation and discussion and that is not relative to either of the other two. That is a different mindset altogether. I don't think if's fair to lump all of those together.

JMO

You’re preaching to the choir. But there are quite a few who would argue differently.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You’re preaching to the choir. But there are quite a few who would argue differently.

Well, I don't agree with that either. Now, are there some who would disagree? Yeah, there probably are, I'll give that. But I don't think there are a great many of these out there. Maybe it seems as if there are but I'd guess it's because they are more vocal.

Free advice, maybe it's worth the price you pay but I'll give it anyway and you can decide. Don't let the loud voices color you because the important talk is the conversation you have with those who are not yelling. Those you can actually have conversation with. That kind of discussion, at least it's my experience, is enjoyable and even valuable. When I end up allowing myself to be drug down into the mud, that's when I always regret it because it's never worth the time or effort. Just a thought.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You were the one that originally brought up Goff and Wentz and in both of their cases their slide in perception of playing didn't start until 2 years after signing those contracts. If the rams and eagles thought the way they think now they wouldn't have offered 32 mil and 33 mil for them after the 2018 season. Also until Wentz got injured in the eagles 2017 Super Bowl season most sportswriters had him high in the running for MVP. Oh and yes EVERYTHING is taken into consideration when negotiating and/or offering a contract which includes where they were drafted. You may not like it and because of that you now think you're smarter than those that do that. That's the way of wannabe GM/capologists.
I brought up what Goff and Wentz got paid. I by no means brought up where their draft status was that is a insane defense and logic and makes absolutely no sense. Its not about whether I like it or not.....its not even about being a "wanna be GM"...its about correcting you on a error you are currently making. ITs simply not true and there's no evidence of it. Tony Romo was not paid less because he was undrafted. I'm sorry if you think that was the case but its not factual.

And nobody credits Wentz for that 2017 Super Bowl run I don't know what you are on about. You are stooping to extreme lengths to discredit Dak to the point of justifying why Goff and Wentz should get paid more...even though Dak came out the game better than them and also quarterbacked a team that had won 4 games the season prior.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If anything, that's a reason WHY Dak SHOULD be paid more than Wentz and Goff. They were drafted ahead of Dak, yet Dak has outperformed BOTH of them. Thus, $30 mil is garbage compared to the $33-35 mil that Wentz and Goff are getting paid. Dak should be getting about $35-37mil.
EXACTLY. There is nothing out there that says he should;'ve got paid less than them and its silly to sit here and use team accomplishments to do it.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
EXACTLY. There is nothing out there that says he should;'ve got paid less than them and its silly to sit here and use team accomplishments to do it.

Exactly right! If anything, the team accomplishments here in Dak's tenure SHOULD be a reason to give him it. He's improved every year. As for the contract "issues" that Goff and Wentz are having, it's not just the money they have the issue with. Goff is apparently a moron, and Wentz has been turning into a diva. Dak has been neither of those. Dak is smart, unlike Goff. Unlike Wentz, he's not caused locker room issues. If anything, the locker room LOVES Dak. The players have been saying as much. Lamb just said recently that he wants Dak back.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Insulting? The other two Quarterbacks played for teams that reached the Superbowl. I appreciate that a QB cannot completely carry a team to a Superbowl as evidenced by Aaron Rodgers but he has still taken a few fairly rank teams to the NFC Championship games. Prescott hasn't played on a bad team excluding this season where he was injured any way.

In the modern game a QB will execute some difficult throws at some point to help their team reach a Superbowl - whether that's during the regular season to help the team finish with a higher seeding and/or in the play offs itself.

Further, at the time the contracts were offered Wentz and Goff were in a far better place than they are now e.g. Wentz actually had an o line.

So your argument is that Jay Ajayi should've been paid more than Zeke because he got his team to the Super Bowl? Is that the logic you going with there?

So let me get this straight...Wentz's team wins a Super BOWL WITHOUT HIM.....with Nick Foles winning games on the road....clearly showing his team was good enough to win a Super Bowl without him...yet in your logic he should get paid more because....well he was on the roster? How much should Nate Sudfield get he has on that Super Bowl team too.

CWR

Reaction score
Are they?

Well there aren't many teams that have won with sub par QBs. You have exceptions like Baltimore (Dilfer) who did it with elite defense, but as a whole you dont have a shot until you have a QB. Obviously there are no absolutes. Id just say when you have that QB you are in contention, without the QB you need something extraordinary somewhere else.

ondaedg

Reaction score
The Cowboys continue to insist that they’ll keep Dak on the team. He holds even more cards than he did a year ago, given that it will cost the Cowboys $37.4 million to use the franchise tag on Dak again, in cash and cap space. For 2022, the franchise-tag number for Dak would spike to $53.856 million. Keep dragging it out Jerry lol.

the real leverage is no team wants to let a good young qb go. The moment a team lets a guy like Dak walk and they roll the dice with a rookie their chances for reaching the super bowl go down harder than shares in GameStop.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Well there aren't many teams that have won with sub par QBs. You have exceptions like Baltimore (Dilfer) who did it with elite defense, but as a whole you dont have a shot until you have a QB. Obviously there are no absolutes. Id just say when you have that QB you are in contention, without the QB you need something extraordinary somewhere else.

Well, I'm just gonna say that I see teams moving away from the whole elite QB thing. Teams are trying to get into a system where they cycle QBs. If they don't win in the first 4 or 5 years, they are starting to move on I think. I guess we'll see.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Only at the Cowboyszone is it the QB’s fault that we had one of the worst defenses in nfl history. Or we were dead last in takeaways since 2010. Or that we haven’t had a kick return for a touchdown in eleven years. Ahh hell covid is Dak’s fault too!

Cowboys offense was averaging 37 points a week under Dak and they were 1-3. And these morons blame Dak. LOL

dumbest fans in the world and its not even close.

CWR

Reaction score
Well, I'm just gonna say that I see teams moving away from the whole elite QB thing. Teams are trying to get into a system where they cycle QBs. If they don't win in the first 4 or 5 years, they are starting to move on I think. I guess we'll see.

Sounds good in theory, but I dont believe undervaluing the position will work. You are right though, we will have to see how it shakes out.

catiii

Reaction score
Ditch him!!!!!!!!!!!!! Trade him. Whateva just get him outta here and draft a QB or get a free agent. Dak thinks he's Tom Brady II and he ain't won crap.

khiladi

Reaction score
I'd like to know what Stafford and Watson, the two extremely expensive darlings of the week, have accomplished that Prescott hasn't.

If the knock on Dak is lack of postseason success, why not the same for the others?

Both have accomplished playing for garbage OLs, while Dak has been afforded the opportunity to play with all-pro linemen.

Watson is light years above Stat-padding Dak in the fourth within seven. It’s not even comparable those situational stats, with Dak’s whopping like 4.8 YPC.

khiladi

Reaction score
Jerry doesn’t have to do anything. Just franchise him and Dak will balk again. And then we can see Dak under Philbin, who has to rebuild an OL and RG....

willia451

Reaction score
Jerry doesn’t have to do anything. Just franchise him and Dak will balk again. And then we can see Dak under Philbin, who has to rebuild an OL and RG....
VyDkyLE.gif