What Marinelli wants, he gets

kskboys

Reaction score
Maybe because of Ratliff who happened to be a freak at the position.
Rats had issues against the run.
Rats was Jerry's boy. He absolutely loved the fact that he didn't have to draft DT's. Jerry doesn't understand the DLine, doesn't understand first step quickness, lateral agility, leverage. I've seen many on here suggest a NT's primary trait is bieng a big fat dude. Jerry seems to misunderstand the same way.

kskboys

Reaction score
Ratliff was a Pro-Bowl Nose Tackle for 4 straight seasons from 2008-2011, and was first team All-Pro in 2009.

Just like the Cowboys dumped Pro Bowl Olinemen Flozell Adams, Andre Gurode, and Leonard Davis prior to the 2011 season (Garrett's first as HC), they then dumped aging veterans DeMarcus Ware, Jason Hatcher, Jay Ratliff and Marcus Spears prior to the 2014 season.

Under Garrett, old veterans were put to pasture, and his focus has been rebuilding the team from the inside out, first with the Oline, and then with the Dline

OLINE starters
  • LT Smith - drafted 2011 - 1st round
  • LG Williams - drafted 2018 - 2nd round
  • C Frederick - drafted 2013 - 1st round
  • RG Martin - drafted 2014 - 1st round
  • RT Collins - signed 2015 - rookie CFA, Chaz Green - drafted 2015 3rd round
DLINE starters
  • LDE Lawrence - drafted 2014 - 2nd round & 3rd round, LDE Charlton drafted 2017 - 1st round
  • 3TDT Crawford - drafted 2012 - 3rd round
  • 1TDT Collins - drafted 2016 - 3rd round
  • RDE Gregory - drafted 2015 - 2nd round,
All of the Oline and Dline starters were premium picks with the exception of La'el Collins, who we all know was expected to be mid-late 1st round pick in 2015 before unfortunate circumstances left him undrafted. The Cowboys have spent 11 of their 25 premium picks from 2011-2018 on offensive and defensive linemen.

This doesn't include free agent acquisitions.

Rats didn't play at a pro bowl level for 4 years. And while he got more sacks than most NT's, his 3-6 sacks did not make up for the fact that we were often susceptible to runs up the middle.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Trysten Hill DT UCF is a player I liked at the Combine and undoubtedly DC Marinelli likes. His measurable physical abilities are comparable to elite DT in the draft; 6-3-308, 5.0 40yd time, 35 vertical jump, 4.38 short shuttle with a 1.73 10yd split. However, he was used in rotation at UCF. That fits the Cowboys mold. He also has been winning going undefeated in 2017-18 at UCF (lost to LSU in bowl game this year 32-40).

I have liked Hill because they say he was in the new UCF coaches dog house in 2018. However, he played quick, fast, and hard. So whatever happened he stood up to it. Every draft report has 2 things Marinelli loves...burst and hustle. Burst and hustle are consistent for Hill in every draft evaluation. Its the 2 things you can not coach a DL to do. Either they have it or they don't.

When Marinelli goes to a pro day, personally works out a player, and gets a player in Dallas for the 30 visits, you can bet he is high on their draft board. He would be a perfect fit a no.58 as he has a 3rd round grade and the 58th pick is a low 2nd round choice so he would not be a reach. A lot of teams are interested so his 3rd round grade is a false ranking to throw teams off. He could fall to 3-5 rounds only because he was never a full time starter. But he would then become a unreal steal in rounds 3-5.

I hope what Marinelli wants (see Collins, Lawrence, and Gregory), Marinelli gets.

And thats the way it should be.

If you dont like yours DCs approach dont sign him. Else support his system.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
What if the approach is a flawed one by the GM and is forced on the DC?

As i understood the theme of the thread questioned marinellies approach not the involvement of the gm and the problems that arise with that.

kskboys

Reaction score
As i understood the theme of the thread questioned marinellies approach not the involvement of the gm and the problems that arise with that.
Yes, however we do not know the exact restrictions placed on Marinelli. The idea of lanky pass rushers has been around this org a long time, well before Marinelli got here. It appears to have started after Tuna left, when Jerry pretty much insisted on the opposite of whatever Tuna did. History points toward it being more of a Jerry thing.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Yes, however we do not know the exact restrictions placed on Marinelli. The idea of lanky pass rushers has been around this org a long time, well before Marinelli got here. It appears to have started after Tuna left, when Jerry pretty much insisted on the opposite of whatever Tuna did. History points toward it being more of a Jerry thing.

Yes. Still this is a theme of another thread.

We should discuss one theme at a time not mix another into it . This way you find no answer at all.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Trysten Hill DT UCF is a player I liked at the Combine and undoubtedly DC Marinelli likes. His measurable physical abilities are comparable to elite DT in the draft; 6-3-308, 5.0 40yd time, 35 vertical jump, 4.38 short shuttle with a 1.73 10yd split. However, he was used in rotation at UCF. That fits the Cowboys mold. He also has been winning going undefeated in 2017-18 at UCF (lost to LSU in bowl game this year 32-40).

I have liked Hill because they say he was in the new UCF coaches dog house in 2018. However, he played quick, fast, and hard. So whatever happened he stood up to it. Every draft report has 2 things Marinelli loves...burst and hustle. Burst and hustle are consistent for Hill in every draft evaluation. Its the 2 things you can not coach a DL to do. Either they have it or they don't.

When Marinelli goes to a pro day, personally works out a player, and gets a player in Dallas for the 30 visits, you can bet he is high on their draft board. He would be a perfect fit a no.58 as he has a 3rd round grade and the 58th pick is a low 2nd round choice so he would not be a reach. A lot of teams are interested so his 3rd round grade is a false ranking to throw teams off. He could fall to 3-5 rounds only because he was never a full time starter. But he would then become a unreal steal in rounds 3-5.

I hope what Marinelli wants (see Collins, Lawrence, and Gregory), Marinelli gets.

Marinelli has a poor track record from where I am standing. Tired of the "measurable" guys. How about we just go get guys that are good at football.

Fredbeard

Reaction score
Prior to Richards arrival..

Marinelli has overseen selections like Byron Jones and Smith and Gregory.

Jones took 3 years under him and was about be cut.

Richard took 1 year to make him Pro Bowl.

Gregory never has worked out.

Marinelli should not select the picks

Let Richard make the decisions along with Clay

:angry:
/thread

Fredbeard

Reaction score
I like hill but in think huggins And wren are better against the run.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
In this case, the DC is at the end of his career and drafting his players won’t help the next DC in a year or two.

Last year we had a top.10 defense (6th best overall). That by investing only 30+% of cap space into it.

Someone could argue this guy is doing something right. If not for his age i dont see this guy going nowhere.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
At this point I'm convinced that anyone still saying this tired excuse does not really know football.

Watt is an edge player. He is a 3-4 OLB and 4-3 RDE. No different from DeMarcus Ware flipping back and forth between schemes. This shouldn't be that hard for you people to understand. Multiple, multiple examples have been given. Also, NFL people have started calling and grouping these players "Edge" and "Interior DL" versus 4-3 end, 3-4 OLB, 4-3 DT, 3-4 DE.
Stop with hard truths. It doesn't fit the narrative that taco was a Great pick....

Fredbeard

Reaction score
Last year we had a top.10 defense (6th best overall). That by investing only 30+% of cap space into it.

Someone could argue this guy is doing something right. If not for his age i dont see this guy going nowhere.
I think this is the last year of rod's contract
Extension.he was prepared to let Matt eberflus become dc after the 2017 season.His defense is the main reason the cowboys lost to the rams and packers in the playoffs.Also the cowboys have invested three first round picks and four second round picks since Marinelli has been dc.

Fredbeard

Reaction score
People say "joey movie didnt matter, he was a late round pick" yet drafting Dts in the later rounds has been marinelli's M.o . since he has been with the cowboys. Dallas has drafted guys like ken bishop and Jordan
Carroll. He also signed udfas such as lewis Neal and davon Coleman or signed guys from
Other teams practice squads such as terrel mcclain., antwuan woods, David Irving, Brian price and Richard Ash. Except for woods and mcclain , the cowboys have mostly failed using the above methods to aquire dts.they have also passed over talented tackles who were avaliable in the later rounds , such as Christian Covington ,Grady Jarrett and Tyler
Davison

Doomsday101

Reaction score
So Rod players are the reason why Dallas ranked as one of the top defenses? Overall Dallas ranked 7th and top 5 vs run. I'm not saying I am satisfied by the defense but I'm not going to act as if this unit was a bottom dweller.

cern

Reaction score

I give more credit to Richard than marinelli.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yes. Still this is a theme of another thread.

We should discuss one theme at a time not mix another into it . This way you find no answer at all.
Disagree. We are discussing Marinelli getting what he wants. My theory is that he gets what Jerry lets him have, which is directly correlated to the title.