What round would you draft Johnathon Brooks?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I disagree.......it may not be much he's a former starter who has proven he can be a #2 guy. For some reason, didn't get the targets in MM scheme/system. Of course, we both are speculating, and you may be right, but I would certainly look into it.

I just read a statement that Jerry refused to say Gallup would be cut/released. What's that about.....my guess is it's exactly what we are talking about.
He has played poorly the last two years, has a long injury history, and is on a veteran contract. He hasn't even played to the caliber of an average #3 WR the last two years. No one is going to give anything up for veteran who hasnt even been an adequate 3rd. I wouldn't even be surprised if he goes unsigned if he got cut. If Jones doesnr cut him, he is even more senile than people suspect

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
He has played poorly the last two years, has a long injury history, and is on a veteran contract. He hasn't even played to the caliber of an average #3 WR the last two years. No one is going to give anything up for veteran who hasnt even been an adequate 3rd. I wouldn't even be surprised if he goes unsigned if he got cut. If Jones doesnr cut him, he is even more senile than people suspect
As stated, you could be right......he may not have any trade value but I'm not releasing him w/o looking into it. I would still call the Cards ( they have three 3rd rounders) and offer him and my 2025 4th for one of their 3rd.

Michael Gallup for a late-round pick​

Addition by subtraction can be a great thing for teams, and that is exactly what this move would be.

The Michael Gallup contract has been a total dud.

He never fully came back from his ACL injury and at this point, he is hurting Dallas more than he is helping.

Gallup has not had a season where he put up over 445 receiving yards since 2020, and he is now five seasons removed from his career year in 2019; that was the only time he had over 1,000 yards.

Gallup accounts for nearly $14M against the salary cap in 2024. When you match that against his production, the value is just not there.

With the Cowboys needing to gain money wherever they can find it, this is the obvious first place to look. If Dallas can move off of Gallup and gain a late-round pick in the process, they can shed some money and pick up a pick instead of just cutting him.

This would essentially be the opposite of the Cooks trade, where this time the Cowboys would be the one dealing a veteran receiver for a late-round pick.

They could end up just releasing Gallup, but with the expected interest in him, it would be silly to not try to get a draft pick for him first. This doesn't have to be a move without anything in return.

Don't expect the return to be all that much, but this is still an important move for the Cowboys to make.