CFZ What's really going on, and what's this season really about?

erod

Reaction score
Dallas drafted Tyler Smith to be the future left tackle with a precious first- round pick?

So, why would this franchise suddenly overpay a player on a multi-year contract to play left tackle?

Especially here. This is Stephen Jones we're talking about, who is finicky with the money these days and loves his cheap draft picks more than winning football games.

At least, for now he does, it seems.

There's another angle to this. The team is not-so-quietly stacking up cap room, and there's got to be a reason. Why would that be if this is the right structure to succeed and go for it. Key players are in their prime right now.

To me, it seems curious, if not a bit obvious.

This is a prove-it year for a lot of people. McCarthy, Moore, Dak, Zeke, Schultz, and perhaps Lamb are among those key people. They obviously love what's happening on the defensive side, but the offense remains an enigma wrapped in a puzzle. Hot and cold. Dynamic at times, but stuck in the mud when it matters.

Are they already consulting with Quinn about players and the right moves to make? Sean Payton? What do those two think of the offensive scheme and personnel?

Are they stacking cap space so they can act quickly if this season doesn't go well and the next staff wants to make big changes? Quinn, Payton, or whomever?

I'm not suggesting Quinn would sabotage the team, but his true thoughts as a great defensive mind about this offense do hold value. Is this path the right one? Who would he want where? Same for Sean Payton, who is very close to the Joneses. Do they meet regularly perhaps privately? Don't forget Lincoln Riley, too, who is also close to Jerry and Stephen.

It feels like they're drying the powder, rather than playing entirely for the now. That's OK, by the way. Ultimately, the coaches and players will decide how this thing goes.

Maybe I'm giving them too much credit, but there's a storm brewing one way or the other, good or bad.

Jerry and Stephen seem quiet these days by their standards. Keeping things close to the vest isn't their style, but here we are. Ton of good, young talent. Bright future in that regard, but what to do now?

This will be a very interesting season indeed.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Dallas drafted Tyler Smith to be the future left tackle with a precious first- round pick?

So, why would this franchise suddenly overpay a player on a multi-year contract to play left tackle?

Especially here. This is Stephen Jones we're talking about, who is finicky with the money these days and loves his cheap draft picks more than winning football games.

There's another angle to this. The team is not-so-quietly stacking up cap room, and there's got to be a reason. Why would that be if this is the right structure to succeed and go for it. Key players are in their prime right now.

This is a prove-it year for a lot of people. McCarthy, Moore, Dak, Zeke, Schultz, and perhaps Lamb are among those key people. They obviously love what's happening on the defensive side, but the offense remains an enigma wrapped in a puzzle. Hot and cold. Dynamic at times, but stuck in the mud when it matters.

Are they already consulting with Quinn about players and the right moves to make? Sean Payton? What do those two think of the offensive scheme and personnel?

Are they stacking cap space so they can act quickly if this season doesn't go well and the next staff wants to make big changes? Quinn, Payton, or whomever?

I'm not suggesting Quinn would sabotage the team, but his true thoughts as a great defensive mind about this offense do hold value. Is this path the right one? Who would he want where? Same for Sean Payton, who is very close to the Joneses. Do they meet regularly perhaps privately? Don't forget Lincoln Riley, too, who is also close to Jerry and Stephen.

It feels like they're drying the powder, rather than playing entirely for the now. That's OK, by the way. Ultimately, the coaches and players will decide how this thing goes.

Maybe I'm giving them too much credit, but there's a storm brewing one way or the other, good or bad.

Jerry and Stephen seem quiet these days by their standards. Keeping things close to the vest isn't their style, but here we are. Ton of good, young talent. Bright future in that regard, but what to do now?

Quiet? Jerry was just in first take lol.
But I do agree. There is more going on here than we know

Vanilla2

Reaction score
My guess is that we are gonna stack good days, do things the right way and do it for the love of the game of football. We gotta be ready to line up against anyone at anytime and at any place. If the New York football giants catch you at the mill out there in grapevine then you gotta line up and prove your worth.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I feel like I'm reading a ghost story on Halloween!...Okay, that's probably because I'm watching that happen on a TV show...but still, very foreboding, or hopeful.

JBS

Reaction score
It’s so funny how people in here try to find ulterior motives for this front office. Thinking that dumb and dumber have these brilliant plans up their sleeves. These two idiots have no damn clue what they’re doing and instead of thinking they’re two steps ahead of us, understand that they’re two steps behind us.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Great post as there is an elephant in the room and as much as some might want here you cannot hide him!
The next 2 seasons will be about in with the NEW and out with the OLD as they failed to produce anything significant while being paid a boatload of cash!
The Bus is waiting and ya seats will be filling the next 2 offseasons.....

20210112151442503.png

erod

Reaction score
It’s so funny how people in here try to find ulterior motives for this front office. Thinking that dumb and dumber have these brilliant plans up their sleeves. These two idiots have no damn clue what they’re doing and instead of thinking they’re two steps ahead of us, understand that they’re two steps behind us.

True, unless they're taking their queues from other sources as I suggested was possible.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
After the Cowboys put a ton of money into Dak they’re not about to overpay anyone, especially with the regular season two weeks away. If they bring anyone in on the OL it will be at a bargain price. The Joneses have made up their mind that what we currently have is pretty much what we’re going to battle with this season. A lot of young players are going to get an opportunity and if things don’t go well this season the Joneses will reevaluate heading into 2023.

RS12

Reaction score
I think cheapo Mike Brown who is rumored to be one of Jerry's good buddies, making it to the SB as owner/ GM, and nearly winning made quite an impression on Jerry. Now what does Mike Brown have that Jerry doesnt?

Last edited:

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Cap space not used rolls over, correct?

They could be preparing for future cap hits in 2023-2024. Zack Martin, D-Law, Tyron (if he stays on the roster), Zeke, and obviously and most importantly, Dak - all have some serious money coming in terms of cap space.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

2022 is a 'soft' rebuild without trying to make it look obvious.

The FO realized that they had to pay the CAP Reaper at sometime and so started cutting unfavored players....whilst keeping Jerry's personal favorites (note the CAP is only where it is because Randy chose the marijuana state.

The idea was to rely on the recent drafts and elevate these players from bit parts to team leaders and ground them into a team ready for 2023....which will possibly see prorated bonus signing/extensions (dafter assessing and hoping that our draftees from the last 2/3 years start really stepping forward) that start kicking in 2024.

The proof is in the pudding and will become apparent depending on what they do at LT....if as I predict we are in 'soft' rebuild mode the Jones will indeed carry out the 'threat' of filling in LT from within present roster. If we have ANY intention of winning this year they'll sign an Eric Fisher.

erod

Reaction score
I think cheapo Mike Brown who is rumored to be one of Jerry's good buddies, making it to the SB as owner/ GM, and nearly winning made quite an impression on Jerry. Now what does Mike Brown have that Jerry doesnt?
Let me think about that and get back to you. Lol

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Now what does Mike Brown have that Jerry doesnt?

A brain and liver that isn't picked with copious amounts of alcohol? When Jerry cuts himself shaving JW Blue pours out instead of blood.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I mean - technically, the answer is Joe Burrow. Him, Chase, Hendrickson, and the kicker covered up a lot of sins on that team.

Both organizations run similarly, except one is flashy and the other is the football equivalent to Section 8 housing. Their Will McClay is a guy named Duke Tobin, who runs their draft.

tm1119

Reaction score
Stop grasping at straws to try and justify incompetence. It’s been 26 years and 3 playoff wins without Jimmy and you really think there’s a master plan brewing?? What are we really talking about?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

They’re stacking up salary cap room to pay the likes of #11.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Cap space not used rolls over, correct?

They could be preparing for future cap hits in 2023-2024. Zack Martin, D-Law, Tyron (if he stays on the roster), Zeke, and obviously and most importantly, Dak - all have some serious money coming in terms of cap space.
Let's spend the extra money to save this season and just lose an important piece in the future. That's logical right? I mean, who needs a Lamb, or a Diggs, or a Parsons on their team?
:facepalm:

RS12

Reaction score
I think it might have finally dawned on Jerry that they arent good enough at QB and maybe they are looking to move on after this season. Mike Brown has a franchise QB after years of cheapness and incompetence and look how far it took them. Jerry has a QB and look how far he took them.