CFZ What's really going on, and what's this season really about?

Flamma

Reaction score
There's another angle to this. The team is not-so-quietly stacking up cap room, and there's got to be a reason.

Of course there's a reason. But it's nothing exciting. It's to roll over into next year and pay some rising cap hits along with Dak. Dak is a 50M dollar cap hit next year and I don't think they want to push forward another 30M along with what they already pushed forward.

erod

Reaction score
I think it might have finally dawned on Jerry that they arent good enough at QB and maybe they are looking to move on after this season. Mike Brown has a franchise QB after years of cheapness and incompetence and look how far it took them. Jerry has a QB and look how far he took them.
Likely.

However, for all my criticism of Dak, it would be awesome to see it click this year in his 7th season. If it doesn't this year, it never will. But he's got al the character intangibles to make it possible. But yeah, he probably should have signed that longer deal, and I think Jerry and Stephen are a little chapped that he didn't. Much like the Gregory situation, it might work out to their benefit out of just dumb luck.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I mean - technically, the answer is Joe Burrow. Him, Chase, Hendrickson, and the kicker covered up a lot of sins on that team.

Both organizations run similarly, except one is flashy and the other is the football equivalent to Section 8 housing. Their Will McClay is a guy named Duke Tobin, who runs their draft.
better coaching, and they tanked few years to get the high draft picks, and how they got burrows.
Jerry isnt capable of tanking.

kskboys

Reaction score
Dallas drafted Tyler Smith to be the future left tackle with a precious first- round pick?

So, why would this franchise suddenly overpay a player on a multi-year contract to play left tackle?

Especially here. This is Stephen Jones we're talking about, who is finicky with the money these days and loves his cheap draft picks more than winning football games.

At least, for now he does, it seems.

There's another angle to this. The team is not-so-quietly stacking up cap room, and there's got to be a reason. Why would that be if this is the right structure to succeed and go for it. Key players are in their prime right now.

To me, it seems curious, if not a bit obvious.

This is a prove-it year for a lot of people. McCarthy, Moore, Dak, Zeke, Schultz, and perhaps Lamb are among those key people. They obviously love what's happening on the defensive side, but the offense remains an enigma wrapped in a puzzle. Hot and cold. Dynamic at times, but stuck in the mud when it matters.

Are they already consulting with Quinn about players and the right moves to make? Sean Payton? What do those two think of the offensive scheme and personnel?

Are they stacking cap space so they can act quickly if this season doesn't go well and the next staff wants to make big changes? Quinn, Payton, or whomever?

I'm not suggesting Quinn would sabotage the team, but his true thoughts as a great defensive mind about this offense do hold value. Is this path the right one? Who would he want where? Same for Sean Payton, who is very close to the Joneses. Do they meet regularly perhaps privately? Don't forget Lincoln Riley, too, who is also close to Jerry and Stephen.

It feels like they're drying the powder, rather than playing entirely for the now. That's OK, by the way. Ultimately, the coaches and players will decide how this thing goes.

Maybe I'm giving them too much credit, but there's a storm brewing one way or the other, good or bad.

Jerry and Stephen seem quiet these days by their standards. Keeping things close to the vest isn't their style, but here we are. Ton of good, young talent. Bright future in that regard, but what to do now?

This will be a very interesting season indeed.
Well, Jerry listens way too much to fans, so maybe he's trying to see what Dak can do w/o prime players around him?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Dallas drafted Tyler Smith to be the future left tackle with a precious first- round pick?

So, why would this franchise suddenly overpay a player on a multi-year contract to play left tackle?

Especially here. This is Stephen Jones we're talking about, who is finicky with the money these days and loves his cheap draft picks more than winning football games.

At least, for now he does, it seems.

There's another angle to this. The team is not-so-quietly stacking up cap room, and there's got to be a reason. Why would that be if this is the right structure to succeed and go for it. Key players are in their prime right now.

To me, it seems curious, if not a bit obvious.

This is a prove-it year for a lot of people. McCarthy, Moore, Dak, Zeke, Schultz, and perhaps Lamb are among those key people. They obviously love what's happening on the defensive side, but the offense remains an enigma wrapped in a puzzle. Hot and cold. Dynamic at times, but stuck in the mud when it matters.

Are they already consulting with Quinn about players and the right moves to make? Sean Payton? What do those two think of the offensive scheme and personnel?

Are they stacking cap space so they can act quickly if this season doesn't go well and the next staff wants to make big changes? Quinn, Payton, or whomever?

I'm not suggesting Quinn would sabotage the team, but his true thoughts as a great defensive mind about this offense do hold value. Is this path the right one? Who would he want where? Same for Sean Payton, who is very close to the Joneses. Do they meet regularly perhaps privately? Don't forget Lincoln Riley, too, who is also close to Jerry and Stephen.

It feels like they're drying the powder, rather than playing entirely for the now. That's OK, by the way. Ultimately, the coaches and players will decide how this thing goes.

Maybe I'm giving them too much credit, but there's a storm brewing one way or the other, good or bad.

Jerry and Stephen seem quiet these days by their standards. Keeping things close to the vest isn't their style, but here we are. Ton of good, young talent. Bright future in that regard, but what to do now?

This will be a very interesting season indeed.
dont strain your brain trying to figure out the jones boys and how they think!
How about they really are this inept??

kskboys

Reaction score
After the Cowboys put a ton of money into Dak they’re not about to overpay anyone, especially with the regular season two weeks away. If they bring anyone in on the OL it will be at a bargain price. The Joneses have made up their mind that what we currently have is pretty much what we’re going to battle with this season. A lot of young players are going to get an opportunity and if things don’t go well this season the Joneses will reevaluate heading into 2023.
W/ extra cap space to do so.

I have no idea if it's even possible, but this is exactly what it looks like.

IceBowler

Reaction score
What's really going on, and what's this season really about?

Money.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

Partially true. There is no "overpay" with Smith. In reality is a pretty nice deal as long as the Joneses don't decide they don't like him. He is pretty much a made man.

As for Tyler Smith, they were drafting the best OL they thought they could get.

He has some shine to him.

The reason is they like to keep expenses under control. It just seems so weird that they manage the cap, like it is their own money.

To me, that tells me they like to cook the books.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
What's really going on, and what's this season really about?

Money.
Maybe it's a negotiation tactic for Dak's next contract. They want to show him how his offensive line and wide receivers will look if he continues to chew up a bunch of cap.

Cap Boy Jr. just might be brilliant.

cowboyec

Reaction score
its about ceedee lamb...diggsy....and the lion of nitnay.
they gonna be expensive.

GoldenR

Reaction score
Simple people; Until Philly, Giants, and Washington get better, and it's coming, Jerry is always competing for that ridiculous division. Below 500 could get you a playoff spot! He doesn't have to sign anyone as long as these clowns are competing for the division. Let me say this one more time, below 500 and you could get in!! We have a need at DT, OL,WR, and the damn K will lose us 2 games MINIMUM. They do not care as long as 9 billion $ flows in. One more thing Jerry, you fell into Micah!!!!!!!

DanA

Reaction score
its about ceedee lamb...diggsy....and the lion of nitnay.
they gonna be expensive.

But as they come up, Tyron Smith, D-Law, Zeke and Probably Shultz come off. And yes, they’ll get paid more but the cap is also going up.

I think at any one time you can afford a franchise QB and five high priced vets and it doesn’t really change unless you’ve got a franchise QB on a rookie contract. Of course we squandered it with Dak paying Romo.

Our top 5 vets kinda suck. The only one that’s good (Martin) is in a pretty low impact position.

Last edited:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Of course there's a reason. But it's nothing exciting. It's to roll over into next year and pay some rising cap hits along with Dak. Dak is a 50M dollar cap hit next year and I don't think they want to push forward another 30M along with what they already pushed forward.
this makes sense , any cap they roll over can be used to pay dak in 23 instead of pushing it forward.
I think they knew last year was the year to contend, and they didnt, so not going to waste that cap, trying to plug holes in a ship
that is not gonna make it all the way to SB.

And it will be good to see how dak does with this setup, and how lamb does, mike and kellen, etc.