CFZ What's really going on, and what's this season really about?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Likely.

However, for all my criticism of Dak, it would be awesome to see it click this year in his 7th season. If it doesn't this year, it never will. But he's got al the character intangibles to make it possible. But yeah, he probably should have signed that longer deal, and I think Jerry and Stephen are a little chapped that he didn't. Much like the Gregory situation, it might work out to their benefit out of just dumb luck.

Nothing is clicking or changing for Dak......he is what he is a Tier 3 QB who found himself surrounded by tons of talent in 2016 and used his excellent PR skills to befriend Zeke(The player who carried him for years) and took over the locker room.
This coming season the King will be naked for all to witness in disgust!
P.S.Unless he gets injured again which just might work out for him like last time as he was 1-4 and headed to the toilet bowl once again!

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Dallas drafted Tyler Smith to be the future left tackle with a precious first- round pick?

So, why would this franchise suddenly overpay a player on a multi-year contract to play left tackle?

Especially here. This is Stephen Jones we're talking about, who is finicky with the money these days and loves his cheap draft picks more than winning football games.

At least, for now he does, it seems.

There's another angle to this. The team is not-so-quietly stacking up cap room, and there's got to be a reason. Why would that be if this is the right structure to succeed and go for it. Key players are in their prime right now.

To me, it seems curious, if not a bit obvious.

This is a prove-it year for a lot of people. McCarthy, Moore, Dak, Zeke, Schultz, and perhaps Lamb are among those key people. They obviously love what's happening on the defensive side, but the offense remains an enigma wrapped in a puzzle. Hot and cold. Dynamic at times, but stuck in the mud when it matters.

Are they already consulting with Quinn about players and the right moves to make? Sean Payton? What do those two think of the offensive scheme and personnel?

Are they stacking cap space so they can act quickly if this season doesn't go well and the next staff wants to make big changes? Quinn, Payton, or whomever?

I'm not suggesting Quinn would sabotage the team, but his true thoughts as a great defensive mind about this offense do hold value. Is this path the right one? Who would he want where? Same for Sean Payton, who is very close to the Joneses. Do they meet regularly perhaps privately? Don't forget Lincoln Riley, too, who is also close to Jerry and Stephen.

It feels like they're drying the powder, rather than playing entirely for the now. That's OK, by the way. Ultimately, the coaches and players will decide how this thing goes.

Maybe I'm giving them too much credit, but there's a storm brewing one way or the other, good or bad.

Jerry and Stephen seem quiet these days by their standards. Keeping things close to the vest isn't their style, but here we are. Ton of good, young talent. Bright future in that regard, but what to do now?

This will be a very interesting season indeed.
I have no clue, and I am not going to try and get into Jerry's head and try to figure out his plans.

plasticman

Reaction score
Every year could be Jerry's last. He wants to win now but without jeopardizing the team's future.

Why? Because next year could be his last.....or the year after.

Jerry wants to win now and in his future, if that exists.

So what they do is take their best option. Even in the worse case scenario, Tyler gets precious experience that could enhance his future performances.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
I think it might have finally dawned on Jerry that they arent good enough at QB and maybe they are looking to move on after this season. Mike Brown has a franchise QB after years of cheapness and incompetence and look how far it took them. Jerry has a QB and look how far he took them.

you mean to say they want to see if Dak can do it all and single handedly win SB or get creamed in the process and hurt and will be out of football , so they can get out if contract ?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dallas drafted Tyler Smith to be the future left tackle with a precious first- round pick?

So, why would this franchise suddenly overpay a player on a multi-year contract to play left tackle?

Especially here. This is Stephen Jones we're talking about, who is finicky with the money these days and loves his cheap draft picks more than winning football games.

At least, for now he does, it seems.

There's another angle to this. The team is not-so-quietly stacking up cap room, and there's got to be a reason. Why would that be if this is the right structure to succeed and go for it. Key players are in their prime right now.

To me, it seems curious, if not a bit obvious.

This is a prove-it year for a lot of people. McCarthy, Moore, Dak, Zeke, Schultz, and perhaps Lamb are among those key people. They obviously love what's happening on the defensive side, but the offense remains an enigma wrapped in a puzzle. Hot and cold. Dynamic at times, but stuck in the mud when it matters.

Are they already consulting with Quinn about players and the right moves to make? Sean Payton? What do those two think of the offensive scheme and personnel?

Are they stacking cap space so they can act quickly if this season doesn't go well and the next staff wants to make big changes? Quinn, Payton, or whomever?

I'm not suggesting Quinn would sabotage the team, but his true thoughts as a great defensive mind about this offense do hold value. Is this path the right one? Who would he want where? Same for Sean Payton, who is very close to the Joneses. Do they meet regularly perhaps privately? Don't forget Lincoln Riley, too, who is also close to Jerry and Stephen.

It feels like they're drying the powder, rather than playing entirely for the now. That's OK, by the way. Ultimately, the coaches and players will decide how this thing goes.

Maybe I'm giving them too much credit, but there's a storm brewing one way or the other, good or bad.

Jerry and Stephen seem quiet these days by their standards. Keeping things close to the vest isn't their style, but here we are. Ton of good, young talent. Bright future in that regard, but what to do now?

This will be a very interesting season indeed.
I think you’re giving them too much credit.

They aren’t thinking that far ahead. They always live in the present . That’s how they hype each season. Next year is an entire new con game depending on the last.

They’ll be all in with McCarthy until they’re not. Then they’ll scapegoat , cut their losses , move on to hyping the next decision.

While this season would appear to be a retooling year Im not sure Jethro sees as such. I think he expects some success this year. That’s at least what he’s selling now.

We’ll know soon enough if it falls flat on its face. But unfortunately I’m not convinced there any contingency Plan beyond this year.

Last edited:

cowboyed

Reaction score
A brain and liver that isn't picked with copious amounts of alcohol? When Jerry cuts himself shaving JW Blue pours out instead of blood.

He is pushing 80 I doubt he is partying and drinking it up like in the early years.

kskboys

Reaction score
Every year could be Jerry's last. He wants to win now but without jeopardizing the team's future.

Why? Because next year could be his last.....or the year after.

Jerry wants to win now and in his future, if that exists.

So what they do is take their best option. Even in the worse case scenario, Tyler gets precious experience that could enhance his future performances.
Or ruin him.

Jipper

Reaction score
Not quite. Most teams have a starting LT in August.

All teams have a starting LT...but not all starting LTs are quality starters...let's be real, with 32 teams there are not 32 high quality LTs out there.

I am sure dallas will figure it out and they will be good in 14 days

kskboys

Reaction score
you mean to say they want to see if Dak can do it all and single handedly win SB or get creamed in the process and hurt and will be out of football , so they can get out if contract ?
It hurts, but they may actually think this way.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
its about ceedee lamb...diggsy....and the lion of nitnay.
they gonna be expensive.

Which is one of the reason I think this year is the basis for a 'soft' rebuild. Find out what we've got in this new draft breed and see if they justify those expensive contracts. Two of the names on the list (CeeDee and Diggs) have to prove that they can be good WR1 and CB1 and paid accordingly, look how many times we overpay to keep 'our guys' after showing 1 year of good/outstanding production (usually in contract year).

kskboys

Reaction score
Which is one of the reason I think this year is the basis for a 'soft' rebuild. Find out what we've got in this new draft breed and see if they justify those expensive contracts. Two of the names on the list (CeeDee and Diggs) have to prove that they can be good WR1 and CB1 and paid accordingly, look how many times we overpay to keep 'our guys' after showing 1 year of good/outstanding production (usually in contract year).
If this is not a soft rebuild, then I have no idea what they are doing. And neither do they. However, this has all the appearances of a soft rebuild.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
All teams have a starting LT...but not all starting LTs are quality starters...let's be real, with 32 teams there are not 32 high quality LTs out there.

I am sure dallas will figure it out and they will be good in 14 days
I love the optimism. I do. It’s very clear that the OL play will determine the season and I believe the outcome is binary.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think some are reading too much strategy into the thinking on this team. The Joneses are year to year unless they're trying to get out in front of re-signing a valuable player before the present contract is up.

I think they took a look at losing 2 starting OL and WR's and figured that was too much to replace in the draft and too expensive in FA, if the players were even there.

I also think they are not 100% that Lamb is a #1 that will force DC's to adjust,

This latest shot to the head, Big Smitty, didn't fire them up to try and fix that, more let's just let this roll.

The one thing I do not agree on is that the Joneses have been silent, they're as chatty as ever with Booger trying to convince people that they are out in front of any left curve. Lose the LT, doesn't matter, we've got other players.

And you can bet they'll tie the mouths of the coaching staff so they're all supportive of the two brilliant football men.

I would like to be a fly on the wall when McC and his OL coaching staff meet behind closed doors.

And we will get nothing but spin from Prescott, the company man. Meanwhile, Rodgers is calling his WR corps out in GB. Which do you think the players think is a leader?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
However, this has all the appearances of a soft rebuild.

Yeah, just glad they're not saying what I just laugh at when other teams, most often college teams, say "We're not rebuilding, we're reloading"

As if there's any difference in the two statements, lol...

kumizi

Reaction score
1. They’re tanking this season on purpose
2. They’re cheap
3. They’re stupid

Take your pick. Maybe all of the above.

Flamma

Reaction score
I'm looking at the contracts, and it looks like they can fit everyone under the cap next year. Even with Dak at 50M.

But that would require Tyron retiring. Zeke gone. Letting Shultz walk. They can move a little of Dak's money forward to prevent any of that. Because if they give Diggs and or Lamb an extension, 1/4 or 1/5 of their signing bonus would go to next year's cap hit.

That is the simplistic, or pragmatic way to go about it. It's what they usually do.

jwitten82

Reaction score
This FO has no plans,I have a feeling these idiots in the FO won't cut Zeke next season, they'll restructure his contract probably and keep him, when they can easily draft his replacement in a round other than the 1st

Creeper

Reaction score
Cap space not used rolls over, correct?

They could be preparing for future cap hits in 2023-2024. Zack Martin, D-Law, Tyron (if he stays on the roster), Zeke, and obviously and most importantly, Dak - all have some serious money coming in terms of cap space.

I do think this season has a different feel to it. You win the division in 2021 then instead of making moves to get the team over the hump they cut back. Odd.

They cut La'el Collins when they were already light at OT and for what? To get a CAP save on June 1, a CAP save they would not even use? Say what you want about Collins but "wish you were here" is probably what comes to mind. The point is they just banked his CAP save and did not bother to apply it to the team to make an improvement somewhere.

We'll see how the rest of the year pans out but it is true Dak's CAP hit in 2023 is $49 million! Lawrence's is $26 million. Tyron Smith's is $17 million, although I expect them to cut or trade him if they can assuming Tyler Smith can play LT.

The Cowboys are already $5 million over the projected CAP for 2023, That's not a lot but I am sure they would rather be $15 million under. Carrying over $20 million would be a sweet bonus next offseason.

The thing is though, they can get under the CAP easily next year cutting Zeke and Tyron. Cutting them before June 1 give them a $14 million CAP save. After June 1 they save as much as $27 million. We'll see how Zeke does this year, but I think it is safe to say Tyron is or should be finished with Dallas, especially if Tyler Smith works out at LT. Even if he doesn't they may still try to go with Ball or Waletzko after another year of coaching.

So while rolling over CAP looks like an obvious motivation, I still think something else is going on.