What should the Cowboys do about the QB position going forward?

EGTuna

Reaction score
I'm a Dak fan, but it's gotta be draft.

He's only going to be more expensive next off season. The franchise tag in year2 (regardless of the cap) is 37m. Year 3 is 54m. So the AAV STARTING point will be 37m per year for 4 years, and you could make a case it's 45.5 (splitting the difference). And they can't negotiate until the season is over (if there's a season). The Jones's backed themselves into a corner on this one. Doing things The Commander Way doesn't work out. Maybe Mike McCarthy can salvage Mitch Trubisky in 2021. Sigh.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Now that Dak wont be signing a long-term extension here :)rolleyes:), what should be the contingency plan be in regards to the QB position going forward?

Draft?

Free Agency?

Trade?
I lean towards trying to trade Dak and offer Dalton three-year, 50- to 60 million dollar deal to be the bridge guy, and look to draft for the next franchise guy.
I have always been a Dak guy, but the fact that he seems to be turning his nose up to even Russell Wilson money when he's a good, not great QB?
I am beginning to sour on him.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I lean towards trying to trade Dak and offer Dalton three-year, 50- to 60 million dollar deal to be the bridge guy, and look to draft for the next franchise guy.
I have always been a Dak guy, but the fact that he seems to be turning his nose up to even Russell Wilson money when he's a good, not great QB?

That is about as dumb an idea as I have heard. You want to overpay for has been, never was QB?

VACowboy

Reaction score
All depends on this year but in my perfect world, tag and trade next year and draft a QB. Or' I guess in a perfect world DiNucci turns out to be a more athletic Romo.

Jipper

Reaction score
i bet he signs a deal during the year, its funny how you guys are saying since he didn't sign an extension now that he is gone.....honestly, just take a step back and relax....if dak plays well then he will get a big extension mid year, if he sucks then they will either get a cheaper extension or look at moving on at that point.

long way to go.

Flamma

Reaction score

This would be the obvious way to go if they can't sign him. Doesn't have to be Dalton, but someone similar.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I say draft a QB :cool:

This is the part where you're reminded of Cowboys QBs drafted since Aikman, as well as the guys they wanted to draft. It's a long list of failure and the same fools will doing the drafting.

I'm not as nearly confident in them as you and a few others appear to be. They fell into the only two decent QBs they've had this century...but I'm sure they'll nail the next one. :muttley:

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
i bet he signs a deal during the year, its funny how you guys are saying since he didn't sign an extension now that he is gone.....honestly, just take a step back and relax....if dak plays well then he will get a big extension mid year, if he sucks then they will either get a cheaper extension or look at moving on at that point.

long way to go.
He has to wait until the season is over

Grenic

Reaction score
This is so stupid, they won't even play this season, Dak got some horrible advice. He can leave after they play the 4 games this year draft someone else.