What should the Cowboys do about the QB position going forward?

glimmerman

Reaction score
We either trade draft picks or players we currently have to get a QB already in the league. Or jump way up in the draft to grab one. Or see how Dalton does this year in some limited playing time. You for sure give Dak every chance to succeed on this team this year. If he gets us to the dance then pay the man 40-45 a year starting next year. But if we go to the SB and we win and his agent starts this crap about 50 a year then let him walk and try to get the agent ran out of the NFL.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I say draft a QB :cool:
Drafting a QB high gives some of the leverage back to Dallas.

The problem is this braintrust finding a quarterback. They lucked into Romo and they lucked into Prescott.

The Jones Boys are much more likely to end up with another Chad Hutchinson/Quincy Carter/Drew Henson/Clint Stoerner than they are to find another UDFA star or late 4th round pick that can step in Day One.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Red Rifle and draft a QB.

YES I can't believe that we won't have to tolerate Prescott for much longer!

Part of me looks forward to seeing some folks get exactly what they're wishing for, a bum like Dalton and the next Paxton Lynch.

Git 'er done, Jerrah! :muttley:

Plankton

Reaction score
Drafting a QB high gives some of the leverage back to Dallas.

The problem is this braintrust finding a quarterback. They lucked into Romo and they lucked into Prescott.

The Jones Boys are much more likely to end up with another Chad Hutchinson/Quincy Carter/Drew Henson/Clint Stoerner than they are to find another UDFA star or late 4th round pick that can step in Day One.

crds5moqdqwqzppzwwoz.gif

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
This would be the obvious way to go if they can't sign him. Doesn't have to be Dalton, but someone similar.
A middling vet that can be productive for a year or two with what is an absolutely loaded supporting cast while a young draft pick hopefully develops into the next franchise guy. Then when he's ready (presumably) you can move on from the vet and still have the young pup with a few cheap years left on the rookie contract.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I wouldn't pay elite money to non elite players. We know that QB is a premium position so that is why they need a better plan of continual development. I'd look at QB's with running ability especially as backups. In these situations where an average guy wants elite money you just trade him if you ca find a team willing, then even if you have a terrible season you'll get a top 5 pick and can select the next guy. Not only does it help you restock the most expensive position it helps you in every round. Always be drafting QB's, always be developing them and give them reps with the 1st team whenever possible, take chances on guys like dalton, cam, etc on short deals. And use the money saved to build the toughest defense in the league.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well I highly doubt we'll be in the Justin Fields or Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes
Two things need to happen. 1) A non QB needy team gets the #1 or #2 overall. 2) You need to be able to trade Dak for more than a single first.

Even if we go 8-8, it would take a significant package to trade up. Probably the equivalent of three 1st round picks

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Now that Dak wont be signing a long-term extension here :)rolleyes:), what should be the contingency plan be in regards to the QB position going forward?

Draft?

Free Agency?

Trade?

Get Dalton signed up for a couple seasons. Draft Jamie Newman(?) with your first round pick. Magic Mike does his thing. Done.

Newman could be had in the 20s so I like that. The draft class for QBs looks good after Lawrence and Fields so there is hope they can snag a potential long term starter. I firmly believe Dalton can be more than solid for a season or 2.

That said, I still wish Dak gets signed.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
It took Jerry a very very long time to draft a quarterback until Dak. He's good for 2020 then becomes a FA in 2021.

Let him walk in 2021 to teach him a lesson about greed & telling him Dalton will be the starter. It's simple karma, I mean math.

pitt33

Reaction score
I don’t care where they get one.

Draft.

Trade.

Let Dak entertain offers next year. This guy needs to prove he can get the job done when the going gets tough.

He’s betting on himself again this year. I personally don’t think you’ll see a new and improved Prescott.

Good luck Dak. All eyes will be watching.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
What's your suggestion then, bright eyes?

Expect Dak to be your QB this year and probably the year after that. I continue to try and negotiate a reasonable contract. In the offseason I start shopping Dak for a trade. Heck I might start shopping Dak now. I develop Dennucci and focus on QB over the next two years for the draft.

If trading Dak is a reasonable option then I look into guys like Brees and Brady after this season which would give us more time to develop any young guys.

Best case scenario is to sign Dak to a reasonable long term deal. 2nd best option that could turn into the best option is a blockbuster trade that might net you a couple of high picks to help in the search of a young QB.

Despite what the QB guru's around here like to pretend, finding a top 10 QB is one of the toughest things to do personnel wise in the NFL.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Anything other than signing Dak long term next off season, or drafting a high, first round QB, would be a mistake.

jedishogun

Reaction score
If the Cowboys have a good season like we all hope, then they will not be in the race for a top tier QB in the draft. I still believe they should draft one and hope Mike and the wonder kid can groom him. I hope Dak can ball out and then the Cowboys sign him and we can use next year’s first rounder on another solid player to fill a need.

CWR

Reaction score
Now that Dak wont be signing a long-term extension here :)rolleyes:), what should be the contingency plan be in regards to the QB position going forward?

Draft?

Free Agency?

Trade?

Lol congrats to all the resident Dak haters. We need to keep our options open moving forward. Although it may have been too cute or maddenesque I considered the idea of signing Dalton and Cam or Winston, letting them compete and flipping Dak. Then we load up for a future QB. This is smarter though. If Dak is lights out this season then we give him the deal he wants. If not we have Dalton and we can be aggressive moving forward. Its not like we were going to get a ton of cap relief on a 4 year deal anyways.

Flamma

Reaction score
Two things need to happen. 1) A non QB needy team gets the #1 or #2 overall. 2) You need to be able to trade Dak for more than a single first.

Even if we go 8-8, it would take a significant package to trade up. Probably the equivalent of three 1st round picks

If the Cowboys go 8-8 this year they should no longer have contract problems with Prescott.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Draft?

Free Agency?

Trade?
You can probably rule out a trade or FA. Carr is probably the only QB you could trade for amd he would cost a first round pick. Definitely don't want Carr as the future of this franchise.

One way of the other they will make a significant investment in the position next offseason. Whether they sign Dak or trade up in the draft for a QB. If you are going to draft route, do what you have to get your guy. Dont get cute and draft the next EJ Manuel in the middle of the first