What starter needs HAVE to be filled?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The way the Cowboys handled this offseason, they just cannot go into the draft to take the best player available. With limited picks and so many needs, unfortunately this is set up for a need draft, which usually gets teams in trouble. When you look at the entire starting roster, what starter needs do they have to fill?

Offensive Line-2 starters left via fa. Nobody knows how high management is on their young prospects in house.
Running Back-Dowdle, Duece, Davis aren't quality #1 type of backs, they are better used within a rotation or #2 or #3 types.
Wide Receiver-their #3 receiver is no longer on the roster and Jalen Tolbert has failed to make an impact in 2 seasons.

Nose Tackle-all they really have is Mazi Smith who is coming off a disappointing rookie season. All they have behind him is a journeyman Carl Davis.
Linebacker-you would think the team has their 3 starters in place with Kendricks, Overshown, Clark.

Do they double dip on offensive line within the 1st three picks?
Do they use a top 100 pick at running back?
Will they address NT/LB or WR with a top 100 pick?

The more I think about this draft, with Dak/MM on prove it years, management is going to give them everything they need on that side of the football. This draft class is going to look offensive heavy early on, with a ton of defensive depth late. My final mock will be coming out this weekend to support this.

cnuball21

Reaction score
The problem is we have no idea how the team feels about Richards, Bass and Hoffman. Or if they want to slide Tyler out. If they have confidence in these guys development then OL isn’t as glaring a need. If those guys can just be average we’ll be around where we were last year which is good enough.

High level I think OL, DT, LB and RB are positions we need to address to add competition but I’d never go into a draft saying we must draft X position in the 1st round etc…

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The problem is we have no idea how the team feels about Richards, Bass and Hoffman. Or if they want to slide Tyler out. If they have confidence in these guys development then OL isn’t as glaring a need. If those guys can just be average we’ll be around where we were last year which is good enough.

High level I think OL, DT, LB and RB are positions we need to address to add competition but I’d never go into a draft saying we must draft X position in the 1st round etc…
Problem is that they put themselves in this situation by totally ignoring free agency and not adjusting any contracts. Could of easily restructured a player like Diggs who is apart of their long-term core to be able to retain a Tyron, Hankins.

As for the OL, we saw 2 backups play, Bass playing the most out of the group. Bass, an undrafted fa, was solid against the run, but really struggled in pass pro. Hoffman is a player who was on our ps 2 years ago and is a backup at best. Richards look good in camp, but they didn't trust him at all during the season. They HAVE to come away with at least 1 impact starter in the draft or you are looking at a worse OL then last year, where it wasn't good to begin with.

I cannot see them going into next season without a legitimate #1 type of back. Sure, Dowdle/Davis could serve as the #2 back.

Those two areas are a priority and we haven't even discussed defense yet with just 3 picks.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
The way the Cowboys handled this offseason, they just cannot go into the draft to take the best player available. With limited picks and so many needs, unfortunately this is set up for a need draft, which usually gets teams in trouble. When you look at the entire starting roster, what starter needs do they have to fill?

Offensive Line-2 starters left via fa. Nobody knows how high management is on their young prospects in house.
Running Back-Dowdle, Duece, Davis aren't quality #1 type of backs, they are better used within a rotation or #2 or #3 types.
Wide Receiver-their #3 receiver is no longer on the roster and Jalen Tolbert has failed to make an impact in 2 seasons.

Nose Tackle-all they really have is Mazi Smith who is coming off a disappointing rookie season. All they have behind him is a journeyman Carl Davis.
Linebacker-you would think the team has their 3 starters in place with Kendricks, Overshown, Clark.

The more I think about this draft, with Dak/MM on prove it years, management is going to give them everything they need on that side of the football. This draft class is going to look offensive heavy early on, with a ton of defensive depth late. My final mock will be coming out this weekend to support this.
I don’t think some people realize the big hole we have at running back. I think we need to draft more than one because I don’t think we have a quality number two back either. Gone are the days of Zeke/Pollard. Offensive line we need to draft a tackle and center, it’s the easiest way to maximize the offense. I would love it if they go back to back with a OT and Center. I think Steele will bounce back but Martin was not that good last season. Defensively we need impact players on every level but cornerback. I know we been complaining about free agency but Joneses failed miserably with it this offseason.

Carson

Reaction score
I don’t think some people realize the big hole we have at running back. I think we need to draft more than one because I don’t think we have a quality number two back either. Gone are the days of Zeke/Pollard. Offensive line we need to draft a tackle and center, it’s the easiest way to maximize the offense. I would love it if they go back to back with a OT and Center. I think Steele will bounce back but Martin was not that good last season. Defensively we need impact players on every level but cornerback. I know we been complaining about free agency but Joneses failed miserably with it this offseason.
Highly unlikely they do back to back OL unless somebody like Beebe, Paul or McCormick fall into their laps.

They love Jonathan brooks so if they want him 56 has to be the pick

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Problem is that they put themselves in this situation by totally ignoring free agency and not adjusting any contracts. Could of easily restructured a player like Diggs who is apart of their long-term core to be able to retain a Tyron, Hankins.

As for the OL, we saw 2 backups play, Bass playing the most out of the group. Bass, an undrafted fa, was solid against the run, but really struggled in pass pro. Hoffman is a player who was on our ps 2 years ago and is a backup at best. Richards look good in camp, but they didn't trust him at all during the season. They HAVE to come away with at least 1 impact starter in the draft or you are looking at a worse OL then last year, where it wasn't good to begin with.

I cannot see them going into next season without a legitimate #1 type of back. Sure, Dowdle/Davis could serve as the #2 back.

Those two areas are a priority and we haven't even discussed defense yet with just 3 picks.
Did you hear Stephen on 105.3 the other day. He all but said if Dak wants in extension he better win with this team. The Joneses are putting the blame on the quarterback.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
I'm not sure what they can do realistically. This draft is still going to leave a few major holes for them to patch no matter what. I think center and OT are musts, before even RB. If they have to start a crap RB then fine but the QB whoever it is has to be protected. Starting Hoffman is the most mentally insane thing I think of, and Bass starting and Tyler playing a position he is not as good in is a good way to let you have a poor passing offense.

Carson

Reaction score

I believe the board will dictate how we move forward.

If JPJ or Barton are they will kick Tyler to LT.

If they love Guyton or Mims, Hoffman is the guy at center.

I feel they are most confident with Bass

cnuball21

Reaction score

100% agree on FA…

I agree to an extent on the young OL players but at some point we have to get them out there and trust the eval when we picked them. Tyler took a massive leap in year 2…why can’t 1 of those 3? Agree we need to draft an OL player fairly early just don’t think you have to force it.

Also agree on RB but the good is you can get a starter fairly late and Dowdle looked pretty good last year.

IMO - adding more playmakers to the defense is the most important. The O started slow against GB but the D was terrible against them and every good team we played.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
100% agree on FA…

I agree to an extent on the young OL players but at some point we have to get them out there and trust the eval when we picked them. Tyler took a massive leap in year 2…why can’t 1 of those 3? Agree we need to draft an OL player fairly early just don’t think you have to force it.

Also agree on RB but the good is you can get a starter fairly late and Dowdle looked pretty good last year.

IMO - adding more playmakers to the defense is the most important. The O started slow against GB but the D was terrible against them and every good team we played.
Tyler was a 1st rd pick, we are talking about undrafted fa's, big difference.

Dowdle has been injury prone throughout his entire career, team has to find a legitimate #1 back.

No doubt we have to fix our run defense, problem is the linebacker/DT class isn't deep at all. I think you can find a day 2 backer, but really don't see any DT that can help past the 1st rd. Would love if Sweat took football seriously, but their were reports of him being close to 400 lbs at the Senior Bowl. Actually feel if they don't get Murphy/Newton, probably best to sign a veteran free agent for the rotation.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Did you hear Stephen on 105.3 the other day. He all but said if Dak wants in extension he better win with this team. The Joneses are putting the blame on the quarterback.
So basically they are making the team intentionally worse so they can blame Dak and move on from their QB?

Carson

Reaction score
STARTERS NEEDED
RB1. (Dowdle, Freeman, Deuce as depth)
LT / C. Depending on how the first round goes, they need to fill one of these needs.

OLB. Overshown will be back at OLB. But a big hole at the other side when Micah drops down to rush.

DEPTH NEEDED
WR3 - Tolbert and Brooks look decent but we likely need an upgrade.
DE - Fehoko and Golston can eat snaps. But nothing great at getting to the QB.
DT - Mazi will look to take a second year leap, but we need more depth behind Osa and Smith.
LB - An extra body would be helpful behind Kendricks, Clark and Overshown

morasp

Reaction score

a WR in descending order in this range could upgrade our group
Brian Thomas Jr.
Ladd McConkey
Adonai Mitchell
Malachi Corley
Troy Franklin
Ricky Pearsall
Roman Wilson
Xavier Worthy
Malik Washington
Xavier Legette
Javon Baker
Keon Coleman
Anthony Gould

I did a breakdown of NTs earlier and there are some good available later on in the draft. If Zimmer wasn't happy they could also do another Hankins type of deal for a veteran.

Also depends on how Zimmer uses Parsons

I wouldn't mind it, my first mock draft did that.

They should, we've only used three picks on RBs in the last 10 drafts and two of those were on day 3.

LB is probably more likely especially if they have to trade back and add a fourth in the range.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
They certainly did fail this offseason. Have you watched the Yale Tackle? He would of been in the range with the Morgan/Kinsley types if not for a quad injury late in the season. Heard he worked with former Bengal Tackle Willie Anderson. Has a similar body type as Tyler coming out. He is the type I want to take a chance on, many believe he gets drafted around our 3rd rd selection. Not ready to start day 1, but could be a starter in another year, perhaps they can play him at Guard if they want him to see the field earlier.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

a WR in descending order in this range could upgrade our group
Brian Thomas Jr.
Ladd McConkey
Adonai Mitchell
Malachi Corley
Troy Franklin
Ricky Pearsall
Roman Wilson
Xavier Worthy
Malik Washington
Xavier Legette
Javon Baker
Keon Coleman
Anthony Gould

I did a breakdown of NTs earlier and there are some good available later on in the draft. If Zimmer wasn't happy they could also do another Hankins type of deal for a veteran.

Also depends on how Zimmer uses Parsons

I wouldn't mind it, my first mock draft did that.

They should, we've only used three picks on RBs in the last 10 drafts and two of those were on day 3.

LB is probably more likely especially if they have to trade back and add a fourth in the range.
Excellent post!

Really feel they are going to sign a veteran NT to help with Mazi's development. Another late rd rookie would also need time.

Cannot see this team not taking a running back by the end of day 2.

They brought a ton of late rd backers, could see them waiting on the position if the top guys don't fall to them.

Nobody is talking about wide receiver, but the group has big question marks.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
G/LT/C - one of those 3 needs to be address in first couple picks - Barton would be ideal as he provides flex to what you can do with the existing players
RB - if Brooks is their guy - then it will be at 56 - but there is almost too much smoke here to believe it's legit. A team would easily jump Dallas if they really liked him
LB - Cooper, Wilson, Colson, Speights, Hopper - give me 1 of those 5
DE - I'd be looking to add some size to the DE position as Zimmer can run a more hybrid system

This just all screams trade down to the 2nd - that puts you more in line with being able to secure both Oline/LB/RB with your first 3 picks.

However, don't put it past this ownership to end up going with:

CB,TE, S, WR in their 1st 4 picks

cnuball21

Reaction score
Tyler was a 1st rd pick, we are talking about undrafted fa's, big difference.

Dowdle has been injury prone throughout his entire career, team has to find a legitimate #1 back.

No doubt we have to fix our run defense, problem is the linebacker/DT class isn't deep at all. I think you can find a day 2 backer, but really don't see any DT that can help past the 1st rd. Would love if Sweat took football seriously, but their were reports of him being close to 400 lbs at the Senior Bowl. Actually feel if they don't get Murphy/Newton, probably best to sign a veteran free agent for the rotation.
I hear ya, but Steele was an UDFA playing like a pro bowler before injury. I just feel like having to invest 3 1st rounders in the OL is poor roster management.

Good point on Dowdle - still think we can find someone very solid in rounds 3-5.

Yea man, bummer the DT class is underwhelming. I love the idea of Murphy or Newton at 24 but not a lot of other impact guys. Maybe the kid from A&M or FSU would be good run pluggers.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
So basically they are making the team intentionally worse so they can blame Dak and move on from their QB?
I believe the Joneses are pissed about that loss to Green Bay and are blaming the coaches and players. MM and Dak is gone if the Cowboys don’t win in 2024. I am not sure they will extend CeeDee in the offseason.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
They certainly did fail this offseason. Have you watched the Yale Tackle? He would have been in the range with the Morgan/Kinsley types if not for a quad injury late in the season. Heard he worked with former Bengal Tackle Willie Anderson. Has a similar body type as Tyler coming out. He is the type I want to take a chance on, many believe he gets drafted around our 3rd rd selection. Not ready to start day 1, but could be a starter in another year, perhaps they can play him at Guard if they want him to see the field earlier.
No I will check him out. It is also important that we get an extra top 100 pick.