What starter needs HAVE to be filled?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
None of these Tackles are going to help with running the football. Guyton and Kingsley are athletic with a whole lot of work needed to just be decent in the run game. Neither of them are remotely going to be Tyler Smith in that regard. Kick Tyler out to LT and draft Barton or JPJ and slide Bass over to LG.
Have to upgrade the interior to improve their run game. Hoffman is a PS player, he isn't starting material, would rather keep Tyler inside and take my chances with a Richards at LT.

cnuball21

Reaction score
The 49ers have a scheme that makes their run game effective. The offensive line is more about chemistry. Letting Tyron go was a message to the offensive line that we can’t tolerate players missing practice and messing up chemistry. I think there is an outside chance that the Cowboys may pass on offensive linemen early if they don’t get the player they want. They are more confident in Bass/ Hoffman than fans and local media.
I agree…scheme and cohesiveness plays a big part. IMO I’d like to see us use 1 pick on OL and then give one of the youngsters a chance.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Look at the final 4 teams, they all had dominate rushing attacks with 3 of them having elite centers, the 4th having an elite scheme. DC's are figuring out how to slow down the passing game, you better be able to run the football to counter that. We already know Dak struggles when teams play extra men in coverage, to counter that is to run the football and force teams to come out of those shell coverages. Last time this Cowboy team was truly legitimate is when teams were scared about stopping the run and being able to get off the field.
How’d that work out for Baltimore in the AFCC? 10 points…

Weve been down the path of elite OL and an All Pro RB and it didn’t zero to move the needle. get us over the hump on the playoffs.

I’m perfectly fine drafting a C early but 2 OL picks in the 1st few rounds is madness IMO when our D is a fraud machine.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

Weve been down the path of elite OL and an All Pro RB and it didn’t zero to move the needle. get us over the hump on the playoffs.

I’m perfectly fine drafting a C early but 2 OL picks in the 1st few rounds is madness IMO when our D is a fraud machine.
Not saying take two high offensive lineman, but Center cannot be disregarded and just filled with a guy.

Our best years is when we had dominate rushing attacks, our defense was awful in those days and we were still very competitive. Baltimore is a very bad example cause they have a running QB who gets exposed as a passer. Look at likes of Purdy, Goff, you think they are successful without an dominate rushing attack?

cnuball21

Reaction score
Not saying take two high offensive lineman, but Center cannot be disregarded and just filled with a guy.

Our best years is when we had dominate rushing attacks, our defense was awful in those days and we were still very competitive. Baltimore is a very bad example cause they have a running QB who gets exposed as a passer. Look at likes of Purdy, Goff, you think they are successful without a dominate rushing attack?
Yea Im on board and with you. Im totally good grabbing a C in rounds 1-3 and rolling with what we have at OT. Probably my preference considering we know at least we have Tyler to do it if needed.

Barton is one of my favorite options at 24 bc he can play everywhere and would give us some flex but he might be gone.

The 49ers have had the best D in football for like 5 years so I’m not sure that’s a good example either. Lions sure.

Malhavoc

Reaction score

This team does some wacky things but they will not take back to back OL in round 1 and 2. The DL is the weakest link on this team. And it ain’t really close.

1942willys

Reaction score
This team does some wacky things but they will not take back to back OL in round 1 and 2. The DL is the weakest link on this team. And it ain’t really close.
with two starters gone one of them ALL PRO the O line is equally a concern
We must get at least ONE starter from this Draft. IF we have a strong interior we can weather things; Steele has had time to fully recover; so RT should be OK so that would just leave either LT or LG
From all appearances Tyler is a better Guard than he is a Tackle Richards might be decent at LT; not sure. Bass might be good at LG but once again not sure.
As regards the DL we lost one starter and the other DT is not at this time a strong point. SO if we could get a DT and a C in the first three rounds I think that would be about as good as we could hope for

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yea Im on board and with you. Im totally good grabbing a C in rounds 1-3 and rolling with what we have at OT. Probably my preference considering we know at least we have Tyler to do it if needed.

Barton is one of my favorite options at 24 bc he can play everywhere and would give us some flex but he might be gone.

The 49ers have had the best D in football for like 5 years so I’m not sure that’s a good example either. Lions sure.
Barton/JPJ if healthy are elite options. Frazier is more the high floor Center. Depending who falls, think we could trade back get any extra top 100 pick and land either JPJ or Frazier which would be huge upgrades at the position. Sure, we need a future LT, but I would like to see if Richards can do it first, he looked real good in camp against 1st teamers.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Barton/JPJ if healthy are elite options. Frazier is more the high floor Center. Depending who falls, think we could trade back get any extra top 100 pick and land either JPJ or Frazier which would be huge upgrades at the position. Sure, we need a future LT, but I would like to see if Richards can do it first, he looked real good in camp against 1st teamers.
If you’re telling me we can trade back to the bottom of the 1st, add a 3rd, then take JPJ / Frazier? Yea…good with that.

I’d just hate to see us trade back if a top 15ish player falls into our lap.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
I’ve loved JPJ from the start. What kind of injury red flags are we really looking at ? I think the kid is going to be an All Pro Center. And for a team that wants and needs to run the football, he’s an impact player. I’m comfortable with him at 24.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
If you’re telling me we can trade back to the bottom of the 1st, add a 3rd, then take JPJ / Frazier? Yea…good with that.

If Murphy or Newton are sitting there at 24, that’s who I’m taking. Two things can be equally true. Yes we need a better Center if we’re going to do a better job running the football. But we desperately need an impact player in the middle of this defense.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I’ve loved JPJ from the start. What kind of injury red flags are we really looking at ? I think the kid is going to be an All Pro Center. And for a team that wants and needs to run the football, he’s an impact player. I’m comfortable with him at 24.
All we hear is whispers, we just don’t know until draft night. If he falls into rd 2, they we know there are major red flags about his long term health.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

No I taking a player who falls, but if we are looking at some of the prospects we have been talking about most likely being there.

cnuball21

Reaction score
If Murphy or Newton are sitting there at 24, that’s who I’m taking. Two things can be equally true. Yes we need a better Center if we’re going to do a better job running the football. But we desperately need an impact player in the middle of this defense.
Yea I’m not moving off of those guys either. Either would be the best DT prospect we’ve had in a decade.