CFZ What the penalty numbers say about Big Mac and the Cowboys

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When you take the raw emotion out of the disappointment of the eagles loss, there are some interesting penalty numbers and patterns to discuss. This post is not intended to discuss the refs but to look at what kind of penalty patterns the Cowboys seem to be exhibiting in the Mike McCarthy era.

First of all, after 8 games the Cowboys are tied with the chiefs, bears, bills, and packers for the most penalties in the NFL with 60. The Cowboys are on pace this year to have over 120 penalties, averaging almost 8 penalties per game. I was never a Jason Garrett fan…ever…but Interestingly, under Garrett, the Cowboys never approached anything close to 120 penalties in a season.

What frustrates me the most about the Cowboys and penalties is their rash of pre-snap penalties. Over 1/3 of our penalties are pre-snap. In fact, the Cowboys lead the league in pre-snap penalties.

Here are some facts about our penalty patterns:
  • The Cowboys lead the league with a whopping 11 offsides penalties, 5 more than the next team.
  • We‘ve had 10 false starts so far.
  • In 2021, the Cowboys led the league in penalties and in the one playoff game we had that year against the niners, we had 14 penalties, and 6 were pre-snap penalties, including…wait for it…5 neutral zone infractions.
  • In 2022, the Cowboys finished in the top 5 in penalties.
  • In 2023, the Cowboys are again leading the league in penalties.
  • Again, not a Garrett fan at all, but in his era, the Cowboys usually finished between 15th and 24th in penalties.
I like a lot about what Mike McCarthy has brought to the Cowboys. We have an 11 game home winning streak, better responses to playing through injuries, and have had back to back 12 win seasons. But Mac MUST start addressing these penalty patterns…especially pre-snap penalties like false starts and lining up offsides.

If 1/3 of our penalties are pre-snap, with more attention in practice to addressing those problems we should get some improvement. Attention to detail matters regarding penalties!
Here’s the link to the info I used for this:
https://www.footballdb.com/stats/penalties.html?yr=2023

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
When you take the raw emotion out of the disappointment of the eagles loss, there are some interesting penalty numbers and patterns to discuss. This post is not intended to discuss the refs but to look at what kind of penalty patterns the Cowboys seem to be exhibiting in the Mike McCarthy era.

First of all, after 8 games the Cowboys are tied with the chiefs, bears, bills, and packers for the most penalties in the NFL with 60. The Cowboys are on pace this year to have over 120 penalties, averaging almost 8 penalties per game. I was never a Jason Garrett fan…ever…but Interestingly, under Garrett, the Cowboys never approached anything close to 120 penalties in a season.

What frustrates me the most about the Cowboys and penalties is their rash of pre-snap penalties. Over 1/3 of our penalties are pre-snap. In fact, the Cowboys lead the league in pre-snap penalties.

• The Cowboys lead the league with a whopping 11 offsides penalties, 5 more than the next team.
  • In 2021, the Cowboys led the league in penalties and in the one playoff game we had that year, the Cowboys had 5 pre-snap penalties.
  • Again, not a Garrett fan at all, but in his era, the Cowboys usually finished between 15th and 24th in penalties.
I like a lot about what Mike McCarthy has brought to the Cowboys. We have an 11 game home winning streak, better responses to playing through injuries, and have had back to back 12 win seasons. But Mac MUST start addressing these penalty patterns…especially pre-snap penalties like false starts and lining up offsides.

If 1/3 of our penalties are pre-snap, with more attention in practice to addressing those problems we should get some improvement. Attention to detail matters regarding penalties!
The offsides penalties have been unacceptable this year. There have been times where defensive linemen are lined up in the neutral zone multiple times in a single drive. That should NEVER happen. In fact, I’ve never even seen it happen more than to this years team.

It’s difficult to know what to attribute penalties to, but surely the head coach shoulders some of the blame.

Ussdelavan

Reaction score
Great post. Now extend to how many pts, first downs by opponents occurred by our inability to be penalty free?

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score
The presnaps are the killers. False start on Tyler in the closing seconds, sack, and then delay of game. Ridiculous
i gotta blame coaching and the players on that equally. Those guys have been playing football for how long now and still make those mistakes? During film do they not even mention it?
Its just weird all around

I will give a slight break to tyler since dak changed up the play last second wasnt the best with the crowd noise.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score

• In 2021, the Cowboys led the league in penalties and in the one playoff game we had that year, the Cowboys had 5 pre-snap penalties.

What I am about to say, some might consider a small thing, but I don't . I knew what the ceiling on this season was when we lined up in the neutral zone, multiple times in the SAME game....and then did it in subsequent in games.

This does not happen in a lockeroom that has the right culture....and it certainly does not CONTINUE to happen week after week. False starts happen...crowd noise, you rock back/forward in your stance...these things happen. But when you line up offsides REPEATDLY...that may not be coached....but it is ALLOWED...and that speaks to a lockeroom where there is not a healthy fear.

A healthy fear is necessary if you are trying to win championships. We have a lockeroom...check that....we have a culture, because it starts at the top....where guys are just trying to do whatever it takes to jusitfy their title, salary, or whatever salary they are trying to command. We do not have a culture of actually trying to establish an identify that is needed to compete for championships. We are always looking for the next #94, #88, triplets etc...something that makes the fans feel nostalgic about a time when we actually competed and WON championships. That is what this front office has emphasized/prioritized since Jimmy Johnson's influence left the building.

Like I always say...the Cowboys win before they even take the field. Everything that happens after they take the field is just one big party where all the major players form a single file line straight to the bank. And they get rewarded for this type of mentality/culture, so why change. Here's what I can promise you....if the amount of money you make was based on the week to week results...Jerry would have changed a LONG time ago...but he is actually incentivized to continue doing EXACTLY what he has always done. And has the bank statements to prove it!!!!!!

Jipper

Reaction score
curiously...has anyone ever taken a look at highly penalized cowboys players to see if when they move to another team their issues drop? Either due to what is being stated here culturally or what is being stated in the other threads with ref bias?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It’s like the wade Phillips era all over again. Good roster of talent but no discipline.

DB_Cooper

RubyRidge
Reaction score
The offsides on Tolbert last year was very bad. Equally bad was the offsides on the OT who didn’t report against the Eagles. Such a crucial situation and the OL coach couldn't remind him to report? Feels sloppy to me.

Brax

Reaction score

Nice post, but this is nothing new for MM ,

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What I am about to say, some might consider a small thing, but I don't . I knew what the ceiling on this season was when we lined up in the neutral zone, multiple times in the SAME game....and then did it in subsequent in games.

This does not happen in a lockeroom that has the right culture....and it certainly does not CONTINUE to happen week after week. False starts happen...crowd noise, you rock back/forward in your stance...these things happen. But when you line up offsides REPEATDLY...that may not be coached....but it is ALLOWED...and that speaks to a lockeroom where there is not a healthy fear.

A healthy fear is necessary if you are trying to win championships. We have a lockeroom...check that....we have a culture, because it starts at the top....where guys are just trying to do whatever it takes to jusitfy their title, salary, or whatever salary they are trying to command. We do not have a culture of actually trying to establish an identify that is needed to compete for championships. We are always looking for the next #94, #88, triplets etc...something that makes the fans feel nostalgic about a time when we actually competed and WON championships. That is what this front office has emphasized/prioritized since Jimmy Johnson's influence left the building.

Like I always say...the Cowboys win before they even take the field. Everything that happens after they take the field is just one big party where all the major players form a single file line straight to the bank. And they get rewarded for this type of mentality/culture, so why change. Here's what I can promise you....if the amount of money you make was based on the week to week results...Jerry would have changed a LONG time ago...but he is actually incentivized to continue doing EXACTLY what he has always done. And has the bank statements to prove it!!!!!!
Excellent post. Culture has a lot to do with winning, especially against the better teams.

IMO the Cowboys have enough talent to at least win a couple of playoff games in this season, maybe more. But they have shown for years they have a problem with a lack of focus, discipline and attention to detail and those are all critical in close games against equal or better opponents in the playoffs.

Holding on offense and defense, PI, and others like that are almost always judgement calls that could go either way. But the most inexcusable penalties are pre-snap lining up off-sides, delay of game, and false starts - all examples of a lack of focus and attention to detail. Like all NFL teams, some of the penalty calls we’ve had against us are questionable. But the pre-snap stuff is just stupid.

The culture of this franchise is burdened by a lack of accountability. Because when the people at the top of an organization are not held accountable for a lack of results, it means everyone else all the way down the chain is unaccountable. That is the heart of this team’s culture.

Creeper

Reaction score
Lining up offsides is bad enough, but illegal formation because the OT does not report himself as an eligible receiver to the refs is inexcusable. The Cowboys scored a TD anyway, but that penalty took a TD off teh board. It could have been a disaster for Dallas.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Excellent post. Culture has a lot to do with winning, especially against the better teams.

IMO the Cowboys have enough talent to at least win a couple of playoff games in this season, maybe more. But they have shown for years they have a problem with a lack of focus, discipline and attention to detail and those are all critical in close games against equal or better opponents in the playoffs.

Holding on offense and defense, PI, and others like that are almost always judgement calls that could go either way. But the most inexcusable penalties are pre-snap lining up off-sides, delay of game, and false starts - all examples of a lack of focus and attention to detail. Like all NFL teams, some of the penalty calls we’ve had against us are questionable. But the pre-snap stuff is just stupid.

The culture of this franchise is burdened by a lack of accountability. Because when the people at the top of an organization are not held accountable for a lack of results, it means everyone else all the way down the chain is unaccountable. That is the heart of this team’s culture.
IT has been said again and again and it is true

The Dallas Cowboys Football team is SOFT.

SOFT teams do not win championships or even get close.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
curiously...has anyone ever taken a look at highly penalized cowboys players to see if when they move to another team their issues drop? Either due to what is being stated here culturally or what is being stated in the other threads with ref bias?
Great question.
Here are the most penalized current Cowboys players so far this year:
  • Tie for most penalties between Tyler Smith and Jayron Kearse, both with 7 each.
  • Tyler’s penalties: 4 off holding, 2 false starts, and 1 unnecessary roughness.
  • Kearse‘s penalties are 2 unnecessary roughness, 2 def holding, 1 offsides, 1 illegal contact and 1 taunting
Interesting that Tyler Smith and Jayron Kearse have 14 of the team’s 60 penalties; that’s nearly 1/4 of the team’s total penalties.

If interested in more player individual penalty numbers, here’s a great link:
https://www.nflpenalties.com/all-players.php?view=total&year=2023

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
The DL especially aggravates me because throughout any broadcast those guys can be seen lined up offsides at least 5 times a game. Especially the inside men with two hands on the ground.