What to do with Damone Clark?

Forneymike

Reaction score
He's another player that overcame the odds medically and was able to play. He could have been higher in the draft years ago, had he not had the medical issue he had. With that said, on the field, he's been nothing exciting. I'd say he's solid at best, which is just my opinion not yours. With all the help that we need at LB, if we fill the depth like we all hope they will, where does this place him. Is he still a starter, or is he going behind a player we drafted high, or a FA picked up. I'd say for now based on what we do, he's good depth. Please give your thoughts and what you're thinking!
Would you rather have my thoughts or what I am thinking? I wasn’t sure from your statement

quickccc

Reaction score
"Outside Linebackers" in a 3-4 arent actually linebackers. They are basically defensive ends
Depending upon the 3-4 scheme, they can be used as edge rushers and ' occasionally " drop in coverage lanes
in an effort to confuse QBs
According to QBs such as Peyton Manning, that's what made the better 3-4 defenses tougher to deal with.

One of the advantages of a 3-4 scheme believed is OLBs do not have lock onto to 340 lbs OTs on an every down basis
run and pass - per the way they are aligned. TEs vs run, OTs vs pass.

I'd like to think Zimm will develop a way where Parsons is not locked up on OTs on a every down basis in his
4-3 .

quickccc

Reaction score
Need someone who can take on a double team and hold their ground. Supposedly that was Mazi, until we asked him to lose 30 lbs.
Mazi's problem now was same knock he had coming out of Michigan and into the NFL draft, ..he is notoriously slow
off the ball
, ..always the last one on the DL off the ball, ..and his per NFL rookie year, nuthin' has changed.

Our coaches thought they could technically coach him up- vastly improve his get off . But that failed.
Now they've panicked so much that they tried to lose the bulk and weight that led him to be regarded
as the top run stuff DT in the NFL draft - to a guy that is the size of a 3 tech, which he is just not.

Quinn & co apparently dunno how to help Mazi, now it's become Zimm & co. turn.

RonWashington

Reaction score
He’s going into yr 3 correct . As bad as Dallas looked against GB Buff SF Clark has to up his game.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Clark started coming around a little bit but he's behind where you would normally want him at this stage. He's a backup and rotational player. Not terrible but he needs to continue to show that improvement.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
He's another player that overcame the odds medically and was able to play. He could have been higher in the draft years ago, had he not had the medical issue he had. With that said, on the field, he's been nothing exciting. I'd say he's solid at best, which is just my opinion not yours. With all the help that we need at LB, if we fill the depth like we all hope they will, where does this place him. Is he still a starter, or is he going behind a player we drafted high, or a FA picked up. I'd say for now based on what we do, he's good depth. Please give your thoughts and what you're thinking!
I think he was better than some fans think, but if you were expecting a big year 2 jump you were probably dissapointed as he was solid but didn't have a lot of visible difference making plays. However, he was forced into the MLB role and SLB or WLB may actually be better fits where he has some pressure taken off him as mic.

Moving forward, I think he played well enough to contribute in 2024, but would much prefer if he were the 3rd LB starter.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think he was better than some fans think, but if you were expecting a big year 2 jump you were probably dissapointed as he was solid but didn't have a lot of visible difference making plays. However, he was forced into the MLB role and SLB or WLB may actually be better fits where he has some pressure taken off him as mic.

Moving forward, I think he played well enough to contribute in 2024, but would much prefer if he were the 3rd LB starter.
as long as he's moved back to where he should and he works on play recognition etc, i'm good

Chasing6

Reaction score
Mazi's problem now was same knock he had coming out of Michigan and into the NFL draft, ..he is notoriously slow
off the ball
, ..always the last one on the DL off the ball, ..and his per NFL rookie year, nuthin' has changed.

Our coaches thought they could technically coach him up- vastly improve his get off . But that failed.
Now they've panicked so much that they tried to lose the bulk and weight that led him to be regarded
as the top run stuff DT in the NFL draft - to a guy that is the size of a 3 tech, which he is just not.

Quinn & co apparently dunno how to help Mazi, now it's become Zimm & co. turn.
Dumb to think they could make him into someone else. He can be effective just eating space and holding his ground. Not worthy of a first round picks for a space eater. Then to ask him to lose 30 lbs. was idiotic. Why even draft him if that was your plan to begin with.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think he might be a solid starter in Zimmer's 4-3 playing SLB, but I don't think we should just count on that, which is what we too often do. In fact, I think Overshown will be the WLB and Clark the SLB, with hopefully some decent challengers to those spots, and then we'll need to either get an MLB or play Parsons there. (Right now, I see Parsons mainly at RDE, though.)

One thing I like about Zimmer is that he's really good at getting players to understand responsibilities so they can play with instinct instead of thinking too much. I think that will help Clark.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I would not count out Clark right now, hoping Zimmer plays him in his natural position with two great DT up front. He regressed some this past year but again, i base it on the bad scheme and out of position. I think he will look a lot better this season.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dumb to think they could make him into someone else. He can be effective just eating space and holding his ground. Not worthy of a first round picks for a space eater. Then to ask him to lose 30 lbs. was idiotic. Why even draft him if that was your plan to begin with.
If they wanted a DE just tell us that lol

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I would not count out Clark right now, hoping Zimmer plays him in his natural position with two great DT up front. He regressed some this past year but again, i base it on the bad scheme and out of position. I think he will look a lot better this season.
Totally agree