What to do with Damone Clark?

BBGTYCOON

Reaction score
Clark is not an highly invested player such as a 1st to 3rd rd pick, .. such as a LVE or Overshown, but more so a low risk/high rewardee player.

a 5th rd draftee who was actually a Butkus finalist at LSU, the neck medical concern lowered his draft stock and the club
picked him late (not early - ala LVE) in the draft.

Luckily he's actually been fairly durable thus far, .. but the problem i believe is Clark is just not that instinctive and
does not have a knack for the big play. He's an athlete, he can run but he's not a big play maker.

He reminds me of Anthony Hitchens is the way that he's a hard effort grunt, but there's just nuthin; special about him
as a player. whether vs run or pass - he's just decent/serviceable.

Frankly i think he's JAG like. He's band-aid starter.. until we can get better.
The aim is to get Warner/Greenlaw like bookends as off ball LBs - Clark ain't happenin' ..
:hammer:

calicowboy54

Reaction score
How long does it take to fix this
i hope we can do it this year but realistically it takes a couple of years to fix defense failures. you need to get people and the teach them your ways. Big Mikes going to have to be extended realistically

Mr_437

Reaction score
Clark is going to get a lot of snaps on STs. Backup LB/ST'er...Hopefully around LB4.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
He's another player that overcame the odds medically and was able to play. He could have been higher in the draft years ago, had he not had the medical issue he had. With that said, on the field, he's been nothing exciting. I'd say he's solid at best, which is just my opinion not yours. With all the help that we need at LB, if we fill the depth like we all hope they will, where does this place him. Is he still a starter, or is he going behind a player we drafted high, or a FA picked up. I'd say for now based on what we do, he's good depth. Please give your thoughts and what you're thinking!
Damone has a role, but it definitely was not what he was expected to do.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Backup linebacker. I think Clark and Overshown would be good depth pieces and special teams players.
Overshown is going to need at least a year to feel comfortable on the field from the surgery he had.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Clark is going to get a lot of snaps on STs. Backup LB/ST'er...Hopefully around LB4.
He could still improve and win a starting position. Ken Norton Jr was a disappointment until his 5th season which was also the first Super Bowl they won in the 90s.

Mr_437

Reaction score
He could still improve and win a starting position. Ken Norton Jr was a disappointment until his 5th season which was also the first Super Bowl they won in the 90s.
I agree Clark could take a leap, especially with the quality coaching he'll be receiving now. I just believe with a FA + premium draft pick + Overshown it will be an uphill climb.